The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor Vegas to get 2nd overall from Philly

Just now, cuporbust said:

100% possible. Vegas will have insane leverage this year and picks to burn. Its actually ridiculous.  

god. Well... its Buttman's league. Our future lies in getting into the playoffs as a wild card team with this and McDivey in our division. 

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Am I the only one bothered by Rumour being spelt Rumor on title?

I dont think this expansion has been done well. Sure it is exciting for the NHL - but it seems like too much of a boost.

Or maybe this is fair and how it should be and since its new and a change I am resisting. Just seems like they are getting a really super sweet deal and will be set up for success for years.

Like they are gonna get a solid core of vets, projects, young players. Then a wealth of riches in draft picks. We shall see if they change the negotiation power for the next expansion draft for all these back door deals.

Yep. Screwing the bottom teams yet again. 

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Aquillini must be livid. I'm livid for F sakes. 

He was one of the 30 owners that made that decision.

Bettman works for the owners.  They are looking at the expansion as a business decision.  For them to make cash Vegas needs to be successful. 

Just now, mll said:

He was one of the 30 owners that made that decision.

Bettman works for the owners.  They are looking at the expansion as a business decision.  For them to make cash Vegas needs to be successful. 

So does Vancouver. 

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't know about that statement.  I think there is a ton of interest in the fan base, because of the way Vegas can move players around.  It's fun!

Maybe for a closet toronto fan committed to the long-term troll. They know that they also paid $500,000,000 for their tv contract and will probably be gifted a Cup in a few years time.

Most fans are disgusted by it all!

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Am I the only one bothered by Rumour being spelt Rumor on title?

I dont think this expansion has been done well. Sure it is exciting for the NHL - but it seems like too much of a boost.

Or maybe this is fair and how it should be and since its new and a change I am resisting. Just seems like they are getting a really super sweet deal and will be set up for success for years.

Like they are gonna get a solid core of vets, projects, young players. Then a wealth of riches in draft picks. We shall see if they change the negotiation power for the next expansion draft for all these back door deals.

**Rumour is real I heard it on radio. They have so much trade leverage and could have 4 or 5 First round picks. Not hard to see them swinging a deal to a team not hungry for Nolan Patrick. Philly could be very happy picking up players/picks/selecting who Vegas took from expansion/ and still get a player they want at 6th etc. 

Seriously , this absolutely screws van s chances of a deal for 3rd. I had no idea they would make it allowable for teams to trade with Vegas to leave exposed players alone. Its completely unfair to teams like Van. I realize they paid a premium, but this is waaaaay over the line.  

Just now, Ronaldoescobar said:

Vancouver already makes $$ and pays into revenue sharing. There is no need for any assitance from the NHL. Now if we end up back to the way it was in the 80's and early then there might be an issue. 

Look at our roster and the draft structure.  We are well on our way. 

9 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

So does Vancouver. 

Then have them start making good decisions. Draft and develop well and it shouldn't make a differnce

Any success that Vegas achieves has no correlation to Vancouver. They got pushed down three spots in the draft as well just an FYI

I personally don't understand why you all have your panties in a twist... also go complain in some other thread and let this one be what it's supposed to be and discussion about a possible trade of the 2nd overall pick.

Look at the previous expansions, the teams have been absolutely ABYSMAL. Atlanta - 2 playoff appearances and a move, Columbus - 3 playoff appearances and no rounds won, Minnesota - 1 conference finals and actually kind of decent, Predators in 20 years 1 conference final, 1 final,  The NHL needed to do something so that the Golden Knights are a competitive team right off the bat. Philly didn't have anyone on their not-protected list that was realistically worth protecting anyways, just a collection of 3rd line guys so it won't be about extra protection slots.

11 minutes ago, Misconduct16 said:

I personally don't understand why you all have your panties in a twist... also go complain in some other thread and let this one be what it's supposed to be and discussion about a possible trade of the 2nd overall pick.

Look at the previous expansions, the teams have been absolutely ABYSMAL. Atlanta - 2 playoff appearances and a move, Columbus - 3 playoff appearances and no rounds won, Minnesota - 1 conference finals and actually kind of decent, Predators in 20 years 1 conference final, 1 final,  The NHL needed to do something so that the Golden Knights are a competitive team right off the bat. Philly didn't have anyone on their not-protected list that was realistically worth protecting anyways, just a collection of 3rd line guys so it won't be about extra protection slots.

They didn't need to, they chose to. So why is LV so much more important than the other expansion teams? Why should they not have to pay their dues like every other team?

Give Betteman one of these. Right on the part that's already shiny.

smooch.jpg.ece14cf5c16081d703e7359d85badf95.jpg

9 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

They didn't need to, they chose to. So why is LV so much more important than the other expansion teams? Why should they not have to pay their dues like every other team?

Give Betteman one of these. Right on the part that's already shiny.

[...]

Bettman represents the owners.  They are looking at it as a business decision that is going to allow them to increase their revenue.  

Past expansions have been costing money because the teams struggled for too long.  So they have tried to correct it this time.  Last expansion was 80M - it's now 500M.  

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

I just can't see PHI handing a potential 1C to Vegas, the cost would be nuts. But maybe McPhee has such a boatload of picks he can do it but wow, this is a crazy lopsided expansion. I doubt any team in any league has ever been front loaded like this. I doubt Buttman does this for Quebec City... I wonder how he'd weasel out of that.....

Probably argues that the Vegas expansion was too advantageous, and disadvantageous for NHL teams, therefore they will scale back the expansion rules for Quebec.

Wouldn't be surprised.

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Bettman represents the owners.  They are looking at it as a business decision that is going to allow them to increase their revenue.  

Past expansions have been costing money because the teams struggled for too long.  So they have tried to correct it this time.  Last expansion was 80M - it's now 500M.  

I think it has more to with the Board of Governors' and Bettemans long term vision of growing and establishing markets in the USA. LV is a sought after market for the other major sports and if the NHL can establish a strong toe-hold, it will give the League a stronger presence in the American markets. Starting with a strong team will go a long way to that end.

We don't have to like it though!!!

Its a non event..why?..because it won't happen..Leading up to the draft,we hear this every year..Discussions are made,but the top 5 picks don't move...The Flyers are happy at #2,it would take a stupid overpayment to acquire it.

Its amazing what LV is being given to start off their franchise,certainly not the scraps and castoffs that previous expansion teams got.

Archived