The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, wren223 said:

I think him playing in Sweden next year is a great idea. Tougher competition, playing against men and he gets a ton of ice time and responsibility. 

Not necessarily disagreeing,  but otoh if he ends up leading his team and/or his league in scoring as a rookie then realistically is he going to fully benefit from staying over there another season?   Sure he could work on the finer details of his game and overall defense and what not but if the only real glaring question mark of his game is whether or not he can play in a more physical league - does playing in Sweden help him with this?  I'm not certain it does?   I'm also cognizant of the theory that supports the idea of him staying in Sweden so he can more fully mature physically before exposing him to the rigors of NA style pro hockey.  I trust JB will make a sound choice either way.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Not necessarily disagreeing,  but otoh if he ends up leading his team and/or his league in scoring as a rookie then realistically is he going to fully benefit from staying over there another season?   Sure he could work on the finer details of his game and overall defense and what not but if the only real glaring question mark of his game is whether or not he can play in a more physical league - does playing in Sweden help him with this?  I'm not certain it does?   I'm also cognizant of the theory that supports the idea of him staying in Sweden so he can more fully mature physically before exposing him to the rigors of NA style pro hockey.  I trust JB will make a sound choice either way.

Agreed, he's shown that he can dominate over there. Ahl would ideally be the next step, he's small but it's not been a problem yet. 

16 hours ago, R3aL said:

They have been checking him really tightly as well - I would like to think they are due a PP soon and that will get him back in the game for sure

16 hours ago, cory40 said:

Canada has EP penciled in as a must stop player more than any other player on Sweden. They get on him fast.

15 hours ago, R3aL said:

Ridiculous statement so ridiculous ... his line mates couldn't even get him the puck let alone do anything with it and Canada was all over him 

More than suspect reffing and his somewhat questionable usage (and lack of PP's), this is what stood out for me most in the game. Canada wisely converged on him (sometimes even with 2 players) and gave him zero space. 

White on rice doesn't even do it justice.

Good coaching though, that's one of the things that got Canada gold.

Assuming he doesn't make the NHL next year, what would be best for his development? AHL or another season of SHL? I'm not sure that AHL is best. Yes, he will be able to adjust to playing the North American ice but if he's an elite talent like he is projected to be, that won't be a problem when he makes the jump to the NHL. In my opinion, keep him where he's comfortable, where he can continue to develop his hockey IQ, and play with a winning team. It didn't ruin Forsberg to jump straight to the NHL from SHL and in fact he became arguably the best swedish player ever. Let him dominate again and break some records in the process, get the feeling of what it feels like to be the best player in the SHL for a couple seasons. His confidence will be sky high when he starts in the NHL.

Sweden did not deploy EP in the best way and Canada totally missed the boat on Gadjovich...

EP just needs 10 Lbs. and better linemates....he is too cerebral for Nylander et all....put him with BB and Bo and watch out!

NHL next year for sure ...no time in the AHL...same as BB and Bo (except a conditioning stint) the kid is too good to play anywhere else next year!

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Agreed, he's shown that he can dominate over there. Ahl would ideally be the next step, he's small but it's not been a problem yet. 

Weightwise right? He's 6'2"ish which is a good height but he is small in body size at the moment. That can be remedied.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I can see that. If he dominates what more is there for him to gain right? I agree. I still think there is big value in him playing against men. I think the adapting to NA ice doesn't have to be done in a whole season in Utica or it being a big reason for him to be in Utica. He is smart and he will figure that out quickly I think. I'd be of mind to let him keeping playing against men in Sweden. He is good enough for the NHL and get decent minutes then bring him over to make the transition to the NHL. I don't think he'll benefit that much from the AHL other than say controlling his diet, workout routine and training a little more to bulk him up. I'd say that's the big debate for me is bringing him over to control all that or letting him do it in Sweden playing against men. Tough call but I'm sure Benning will make the right one. Heck, EP may say he wants to be in Utica next season.

8 minutes ago, wren223 said:

Weightwise right? He's 6'2"ish which is a good height but he is small in body size at the moment. That can be remedied.

I can see that. If he dominates what more is there for him to gain right? I agree. I still think there is big value in him playing against men. I think the adapting to NA ice doesn't have to be done in a whole season in Utica or it being a big reason for him to be in Utica. He is smart and he will figure that out quickly I think. I'd be of mind to let him keeping playing against men in Sweden. He is good enough for the NHL and get decent minutes then bring him over to make the transition to the NHL. I don't think he'll benefit that much from the AHL other than say controlling his diet, workout routine and training a little more to bulk him up. I'd say that's the big debate for me is bringing him over to control all that or letting him do it in Sweden playing against men. Tough call but I'm sure Benning will make the right one. Heck, EP may say he wants to be in Utica next season.

The AHL is a league of men also. 

• Upvote 1

The most impressive part of EPs play, and Swedens in general was the amount of heart and chippiness they brought to this tournament. Moral victories don't mean much to most of them but I don't think anyone expected that type of showing from their group at WJC. Guys like Tim Soderlund, Lias Andersson, Rasmus Dahlin, and EP are going to be difficult to compete with as they get older and play in the Olympics or World Championships. 

Good tournament from Elias overall. However 1 point in the elimination round says to me when the going got tougher and the checking tighter he didn't have the ability to create that he is accustomed to. I think he is still a ways away from being able to handle the size and pace of the nhl

13 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I'm no Oilers fan but winning the Art Ross, Hart, Linsday etc... is not unproven. 

Just saying he is already struggling that's all. And he is 9 th in scoring. He is still a great player. But could his style of play not have longevity? Time will tell. Lots of exciting players in the NHL that won trophies and never repeated. Maybe this is a one of season, or maybe teams can defend against him better. He might have to re develope his game a little. This I know the best player in the NHL usually wins the scoring race hands down. But the most exciting player may just be exciting ie Denis Savard. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I vote putting him (on wing to begin with) on a bottom 6 'offensive' line away from the extra pressure, competition and best defenders that playing in the top 6 would force him to face. Sheltered ozone time against lower QOC and PP time. As he gets his feet wet and he adjusts you can slowly give him spurts in the top 6 with injuries etc and go from there.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Good tournament from Elias overall. However 1 point in the elimination round says to me when the going got tougher and the checking tighter he didn't have the ability to create that he is accustomed to. I think he is still a ways away from being able to handle the size and pace of the nhl

I agree on all points. But really need to see him with quality linemates 5 on 5 to know for sure. PP he was excellent. 

Edited by rekker

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I vote putting him (on wing to begin with) on a bottom 6 'offensive' line away from the extra pressure, competition and best defenders that playing in the top 6 would force him to face. Sheltered ozone time against lower QOC and PP time. As he gets his feet wet and he adjusts you can slowly give him spurts in the top 6 with injuries etc and go from there.

I would say right to top six role. He needs top end players to play off his skill set.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I would say right to top six role. He needs top end players to play off his skill set.

Hence why we signed guys like Eriksson and Gagner IMO. Something like:

Eriksson, Gagner/Granlund, Petterson.

Those are good enough players that he wont be playing with plugs. He can take occasional draws (if Gagner gets waived, on his strong side etc) and learn the ropes in a sheltered, low pressure role and play with even better players on the PP.

As he adjusts/gets better, he'll move up, don't you worry ;) I just don't want to EDM him by thrusting him in to a top 6 role before we need to.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Those are good enough players that he wont be playing with plugs. He can take occasional draws (if Gagner gets waived, on his strong side etc) and learn the ropes in a sheltered, low pressure role and play with even better players on the PP.

As he adjusts/gets better, he'll move up, don't you worry ;) I just don't want to EDM him by thrusting him in to a top 6 role before we need to.

Yip. Better than Megna and Chaputs of the world. 

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This would be a best case scenario I agree,  but does the club have enough depth  (considering the inevitable injuries which will occur) to shelter him in this fashion?  Generally speaking, less depth combined with injuries = guys playing above their ability/experience levels which is what we've seen a lot of the past couple seasons unfortunately.  I think we're approaching this depth level in the organization but all it takes is a couple key injuries and we're in the position we're in right now again? Guess you just sent him to Utica if necessary though. 

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This would be a best case scenario I agree,  but does the club have enough depth  (considering the inevitable injuries which will occur) to shelter him in this fashion?  Generally speaking, less depth combined with injuries = guys playing above their ability/experience levels which is what we've seen a lot of the past couple seasons unfortunately.  I think we're approaching this depth level in the organization but all it takes is a couple key injuries and we're in the position we're in right now again? Guess you just sent him to Utica if necessary though. 

One things we actually have a lot of (now) is depth. We just don't currently have a lot of (ready) top 3/6 quality depth to cover for the catastrophic injuries we've faced there. Bottom 6/9 depth we have up the wazoo. 

Like I said above, we could afford to have him play on a line like: Eriksson, Gagner/Granlund, Petterson in our bottom 6, so yes, I'd say we have enough depth.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think the best spot to start him in managed mins has to be O zone starts with Bo and Brock. With the Sedins hangin em up Green will have a lot more high quality minutes to spread around I think Daniel currently leads the entire league in O zone starts. Bo and Brock can open up a lot of ice for the kid to have time to work his magic. Throw Granny out with the big boys when there is heavy lifting to be done. Give the kid free reign to create offence. He can learn the 200' game as he comes along and gains confidence. 

The very last thing I want to see is EP having to play with the Sedins who back check like they are on a Sunday free skate. Or worse stuck in the bottom 6 battling for pucks. Elias said it himself in the WJC he was struggling to win puck battles and protect pucks w his body. Lol even Yamamoto muscled him off a puck. He's not physically where he needs to be yet but that doesn't mean he can't contribute. That is the very reason we have guys like Virtanen and Gaunce around to win pucks along the boards so guys like Elias can go to work in their office. 

I would like EP to start the season in the AHL. Have Gadjo if he has a good camp start with the big club learning to grind with the big boys. Get some reps in then send him back to the O and call up EP for a taste, after a month or so in the "A" getting his feet wet in the NA game.  

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IMO we need Loui and Granlund playing some hard mins against teams top lines. Maybe not the best environment to start EP. Though Baertschi/Goldy Gaudette Pettersson could be an interesting sheltered secondary scoring line. Gaudette pours shots on goal and does very well in the paint with Goldy/Bae Elias working the tick tack toe. Give em some of those coosh Sedin mins. 

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think the best spot to start him in managed mins has to be O zone starts with Bo and Brock.

Bo and Brock won't be getting managed or easy minutes. So not sure how you square that circle. He'd get time with them on the PP though.

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Or worse stuck in the bottom 6 battling for pucks. Elias said it himself in the WJC he was struggling to win puck battles and protect pucks w his body. Lol even Yamamoto muscled him off a puck. He's not physically where he needs to be yet but that doesn't mean he can't contribute. That is the very reason we have guys like Virtanen and Gaunce around to win pucks along the boards so guys like Elias can go to work in their office. 

Just like this year we'd have the Sutter line (and probably some mix of a Gaunce/Gaudette/Granlund etc line) to do the 'battling' and match up duties. That bottom 6 offensive line would get sheltered ozone starts  and far easier deployment