The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm not worried about petterrsson adding strength.  He will in time, but I don't think it's mandatory like some people think.  No one says patrick kane and gaudreau need to add strength because they just have elite skill where it doesn't really matter that much for them.  Petterrsson is the same and has the chance at being the best player sweden has ever produced.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I'm not worried about petterrsson adding strength.  He will in time, but I don't think it's mandatory like some people think.  No one says patrick kane and gaudreau need to add strength because they just have elite skill where it doesn't really matter that much for them.  Petterrsson is the same and has the chance at being the best player sweden has ever produced.

Exactly.  Also, let's not forget he has lots of time to gain that weight anyway. The guy is still a teenager!

...buuuttt... imagine if he does get close to 200 lbs (which given his frame is entirely possible).  He appears already to be able to hold his own.  That would make him unstoppable.

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Exactly.  Also, let's not forget he has lots of time to gain that weight anyway. The guy is still a teenager!

...buuuttt... imagine if he does get close to 200 lbs (which given his frame is entirely possible).  He appears already to be able to hold his own.  That would make him unstoppable.

I mean yeah, it would be nice if he got to 200 pounds, but I'm not going to hold it against him if he doesn't.  Some people just can't gain weight and looking at his frame, I'm not sure if he'll reach 200 pounds.  He may just be a natural lanky and skinny guy that might not be able to bulk up much.

14 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I mean yeah, it would be nice if he got to 200 pounds, but I'm not going to hold it against him if he doesn't.  Some people just can't gain weight and looking at his frame, I'm not sure if he'll reach 200 pounds.  He may just be a natural lanky and skinny guy that might not be able to bulk up much.

Perhaps.  When I was a kid I couldn't put any weight on.  When I graduated high school I was 6'0, 155lbs - skinny as heck.  I could eat anything and any amount without gaining weight.  Once I got to 22-23, I started putting on muscle. I was 195lbs by 25, and I barely worked out.... it was just a natural body change.  After a few years like that then I started gaining fat because I'm a lazy ass.

Point being that sometimes your body just doesn't allow you to gain weight, but often eventually it does. If he's the same way, I expect him to remain skinny for a bit but think there is a strong possibility that with his height he will fill out.  Maybe not 200 but 190?  That's perfectly fine in today's nhl. He's not going to be expected to be a hard-hitting guy anyway.  He's a finesse guy.  So as long as he doesn't get knocked down regularly (a la Raymond) he should be just fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Even if he came close that would be amazing. Having said that Forsberg and Sundin are really lofty heights to reach.

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Even if he came close that would be amazing. Having said that Forsberg and Sundin are really lofty heights to reach.

Haha, I know. I say that half seriously because I'm just high on the Elias kool aid with how hard he's dominating the shl at his age. 

2 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Haha, I know. I say that half seriously because I'm just high on the Elias kool aid with how hard he's dominating the shl at his age. 

I hear you there and one just never knows how a player will be when he hits the NHL. When Forsberg was drafted all the experts thought Philly was insane! When Sundin was drafted Jason Herter was a can't miss dman too! I don't even recall him playing a game for us. Sundin was taller 6'4 i think and he was a skinny kid too at the time.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎07 at 11:22 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You're talking about the AHL like it's a beer league full of scrubs, which it's not. 

Pettersson NEEDS to become more accustomed to the NA sized ice before he hits the big leagues, and some time in the AHL would do just that. Sure as hell didn't hurt Nylander.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that Lind, Gadjovich, and possibly Juolevi, Gaudette and Dahlen will be playing for the comets next season. If we're considering them "inferior players", then we're in some serious trouble.

AHL is hack and whack hockey. It teaches players to fight and work hard playing against NHL wanna b's. EP will play in the NHL because he is a super star. Whether he is ready is another thing, and because of who he is he will have a contract that is NHL or bust. But he will do fine. THis handcuffs NHL teams when players don't adjust. But EP plays well in traffic and is at his best when he is in tight. Almost all his highlights he is in tight except for his beast mode of a one-timer.

19 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Petterson played really well against the USA and was invisible against Canada.

He wasn't invisible on the ice, only on the scoresheet.  He drew 2 penalties (they weren't called), made some great defensive plays and had absolutely nothing to work with offensively.  For some asinine reason the Swedish coach demoted him to the second line and it cost them the Gold as the first line did squat.

• Upvote 3

EP is just too smart to require any time in the AHL....Lind and Gadjovich for sure...Dahlen and Gaudette are going to be close and so is Juolevi but they all probably start in the AHL...except EP....

I can see them all getting some playing time in the big league's by TDL next year....with our usual half dozen injured guys and tradeable's ...

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

He wasn't invisible on the ice, only on the scoresheet.  He drew 2 penalties (they weren't called), made some great defensive plays and had absolutely nothing to work with offensively.  For some asinine reason the Swedish coach demoted him to the second line and it cost them the Gold as the first line did squat.

Same Swedish coach that didn't vote EP as a top three player for his team in the tournament.  What a duffass. 

• Cheers 2

Pettersson has tremendous skill, no doubt about it. What I noticed though, if there is one knock against him, it's his skating. At times it looked like his skates were two sizes too big and he just looked awkward trying to turn on a dime, changes directions quickly. He'll need time to get used to the smaller ice as well. My guess is he starts the 2018 season in Utica.

Got to say, even though Canada won that game (without Gadj), I felt for the Swedish kids. Especially Pettersson, Andersson and Dahlin. A lot of tears, but I guess these great young players aren't used to losing much at this stage in their young careers. The victory was bitter sweet, from this Canucks fan perspective. Gadj got a medal but he was benched. Pettersson wasn't utilized properly and lost Gold. Lockwood got injured, but picked up a Bronze. Juolevi didn't even get close enough to a medal.

I'm glad Canada won the Gold, but without Gadjovich in the lineup, meh.

Edited by NUCKER67

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson has tremendous skill, no doubt about it. What I noticed though, if there is one knock against him, it's his skating. At times it looked like his skates were two sizes too big and he just looked awkward trying to turn on a dime, changes directions quickly. He'll need time to get used to the smaller ice as well. My guess is he starts the 2018 season in Utica.

Got to say, even though Canada won that game (without Gadj), I felt for the Swedish kids. Especially Pettersson, Andersson and Dahlin. A lot of tears, but I guess these great young players aren't used to losing much at this stage in their young careers. The victory was bitter sweet, from this Canucks fan perspective. Gadj got a medal but he was benched. Pettersson wasn't utilized properly and lost Gold. Lockwood got injured, but picked up a Bronze. Juolevi didn't even get close enough to a medal.

I'm glad Canada won the Gold, but without Gadjovich in the lineup, meh.

????

it was a tied game, pretty much most of the game, and Canada resorted to using 3 lines.  Gadjovich was not the only player to have 8 minutes of ice time. he was essentially the 4th line.   He had as much ice time as Kale Makar and K.Foote.  WE might was well say Canada won gold without Kale Makar too.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rekker said:

Same Swedish coach that didn't vote EP as a top three player for his team in the tournament.  What a duffass. 

Ummm, Pettersson wasn't even close to being in the top-3 on his team!  Not even remotely close.  He was a distant fourth.  Dahlin was phenomenal and looks NHL-ready.  Lias Andersson was head and shoulders better than Pettersson.  And Nylander outplayed him too.  EP was the only one of the four who wasn't a positive player (one of only three on his team).  He floated on the outside the entire time.  He was only a threat on the power-play.  Etc...

• Upvote 1