The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Oldmanpower said:

I thought Petterson had a very good tournament. Outstanding shot. Great passer. Very high I Q . Very happy to have him as a Canuck prospect. However, at his current size i believe he will have a very tough time protecting the puck at the Nhl level. His quikness and speed do not compensate for his lack of size. I personally think another year of europe or ahl would benefit him greatly. And before you slam me with minuses remember Peter Forsberg played two seasons in Europe after his draft year and it did not hurt him one bit. Bringing this kid up early definitely could harm his development. 

I'm hoping he's here training with us. Eating our meal plans etc etc. 

Our staff can whip JV in shape... they can sure add weight. :)

5 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

I'm hoping he's here training with us. Eating our meal plans etc etc. 

Our staff can whip JV in shape... they can sure add weight. :)

yeah, by making virtanen obese

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

McDavid is the fastest and quickest player on the ice 97% of the time.   

Big difference. 

Only top 10 in points and won't match his point totals of last years. Already on pace with other Oiler picks. So fast yes but unproven.

8 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

He was drafted 10th overall amazing less than 150pts in 328 games played over 7 seasons.

That's a bust my friend 

7 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Hodgson put up 70 points one year and played over 300 games in the best league on earth, no way that's a bust.  Plus who knows how long that genetic disorder affected his play, we'll have to disagree on this one. 

Helluva a bust. ::D

Cody's best season was 44 points in NHL. But he did put up over 70 points in the OHL. :shock:

Wow

I am surprised to hear of all the whining and complaining here

The last several pages posters saying they wanted to see Sweden win over Canada

Choose who you want, but is sure surprised me

Canada is not your team ? (like the Canucks are)

You want Canada to lose, for a player on another team?

That loyalty seems for the player and not the team

Hockey is a team sport

So, you are the same people who wanted USA to win Olympics over Canada because Kesler played for them? (Oh, I see how you feel about him now) lol

Just remember

These players didn't pick their NHL teams 

You don't know the loyalty they will have here, but don't mind giving them all your loyalty

So your player wins Gold and Olympic golds, then leaves the NHL early to go play in overseas leagues (Like Tree and others have)

They take the Golds the NHL $ back with them , and those of you are still happy Canada never wins gold?

That player would seem to have it all, what would you have in return?

Oh yeah, You don't have a team and don't care

I enjoy watching this Tournament and will always be glad to see Canada win and Canuck players do well in it

But Canada is my team in this tournament, and the Olympics as the Canucks are in the NHL

How about, Canuck players on all international teams do very well and Canada wins Gold?

Let them try their hardest whichever teams they represent before becoming Canucks

Let them show their allegiances to those teams,

I myself don't want a player who needs to be coddled, I want him to have that hunger to achieve and fight for his team to be the best, not give up because it hasn't been obtained before 20 yrs. old

Everywhere I go, people complain about people with self entitlement and never wanting to work to obtain anything, and here are people wishing that for these players because they are Canucks?

Wow

• Upvote 1

Sad to see a final ruined by refs and a select few players on the Canadian team that were embellishing. I'm glaring and staring at you Jordan Kyrou, I'm looking at you so hard it hurts my eyes Jordan Kyrou. Glad to see Gadjovich not being one of them and the penalty he took wasn't even a penalty. Refs ruined the final sadly.  

Elias is the GOAT. 10-15lbs and this kid is in the NHL. Very good tournament in my opinion for him considering the flu, bad linemates and Alex Nylander (lol). 

But seriously, Elias is going to be something special for us. I'm really excited. 

Edited by DeltaSwede

Since I'm a Swede, I'm not going to comment too much on the game. I think this new "diving" $&!# both USA and Canada's Juniors are doing the last few years are compeletly cancerous. Luckily both Senior squads aren't like that!

But, as you said about EP, I still do believe that he needs to have one more season in Sweden. There's no rush. In this turnament it was pretty clear that he has that type of "next level Hockey-IQ" that doesn't work with players that have a lower skill. He needs to be surrounded by high-end players, like Boeser. Someone that can see what EP is about to do, before he does it (if that makes sense). EP will probably never be a "coast-to-coast"-player in that way. Look at his last three games in this turnament - he had to do EVERYTHING by himself pretty much and got nothing out of it... 

• Upvote 2

Hoping he signs a contract this year. Assuming he doesn't pull a Boeser in training camp, start him in Utica and see how long it takes him to adjust to the NA sized ice. I though he played relatively well throughout the tournament, but it looked like he didn't have enough time and space to be overly effective 5 -5. Having a full or at least partial season playing on NA sized ice before hitting the NHL would be best for him imho.

Good tournament that had an interesting finale.  Would like to know how much flu harmed a couple of already paper-thin prospects on Sweden and apparently Russia.   Officiating was odd but that happens.  EP will be more than just fine.    

Edited by Rob_Zepp

The problem with EP playing in the AHL is the same problem he had in this tourney. When he is playing with inferior players who can't get him the puck and who aren't where they should be when he wants to give them the puck, it leads to him trying to do it all himself. Which does not produce good results, frustrates him, and is not the best way to develop him imo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When he was first drafted I wasn't sure but getting to watch him play was great. This kid is smart, very very smart. He has skill, brains and drive and will be a gamer in the NHL for sure. He needs to fill out a bit but he's still a kid. I think him playing in Sweden next year is a great idea. Tougher competition, playing against men and he gets a ton of ice time and responsibility. Let him develop slowly. Having him go to Utica and have so-so linemates or in the NHL but playing limited minutes isn't worth it. Let him stew a year then bring him in and see how he pans out. I think Benning may have been right about this kid's skills and IQ and im excited to see him grow and develop and become a number 1C.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Officiating was odd but that happens.  EP will be more than just fine.    

I simply accept that questionable officiating is the norm at this tournament each year. The best you can hope for is that it's just questionable and not utterly terrible like it often has been in the past. This year was reasonable - meaning just questionable imo. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Sad to see a final ruined by refs and a select few players on the Canadian team that were embellishing. I'm glaring and staring at you Jordan Kyrou, I'm looking at you so hard it hurts my eyes Jordan Kyrou. Glad to see Gadjovich not being one of them and the penalty he took wasn't even a penalty. Refs ruined the final sadly.  

Elias is the GOAT. 10-15lbs and this kid is in the NHL. Very good tournament in my opinion for him considering the flu, bad linemates and Alex Nylander (lol). 

But seriously, Elias is going to be something special for us. I'm really excited. 

Fans are talking about his shot but I was most impressed with his ability to QB in the ozone. Simply outstanding. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

The problem with EP playing in the AHL is the same problem he had in this tourney. When he is playing with inferior players who can't get him the puck and who aren't where they should be when he wants to give them the puck, it leads to him trying to do it all himself. Which does not produce good results, frustrates him, and is not the best way to develop him imo.

13 minutes ago, wren223 said:

When he was first drafted I wasn't sure but getting to watch him play was great. This kid is smart, very very smart. He has skill, brains and drive and will be a gamer in the NHL for sure. He needs to fill out a bit but he's still a kid. I think him playing in Sweden next year is a great idea. Tougher competition, playing against men and he gets a ton of ice time and responsibility. Let him develop slowly. Having him go to Utica and have so-so linemates or in the NHL but playing limited minutes isn't worth it. Let him stew a year then bring him in and see how he pans out. I think Benning may have been right about this kid's skills and IQ and im excited to see him grow and develop and become a number 1C.

Personally, I'd like to see him in Utica next year so that he can adjust to the smaller ice. Utica will have an influx of our draftees eligible next year, and I think EP will be good for their development as well - considering that we are hoping to see Gadj, Lind, Dahlen, etc. make the Nucks one day, it would be great for all of them to start building chemistry together and getting used to playing with such a high IQ player in EP, and they can all begin doing that as early as next season. 

• Upvote 1