The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

IMO we need Loui and Granlund playing some hard mins against teams top lines. Maybe not the best environment to start EP. Though Baertschi/Goldy Gaudette Pettersson could be an interesting sheltered secondary scoring line. Gaudette pours shots on goal and does very well in the paint with Goldy/Bae Elias working the tick tack toe. Give em some of those coosh Sedin mins. 

It was just an example. I'm not married to that line :lol: I think Baer will still be playing with Bo/Boes as that line needs a play maker IMO. Heck we could see something like a 4th 'kid' line (Goldobin, Gaudette, Petterson).

Exactly B)

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bo and Brock won't be getting managed or easy minutes. So not sure how you square that circle. He'd get time with them on the PP though.

Just like this year we'd have the Sutter line (and probably some mix of a Gaunce/Gaudette/Granlund etc line) to do the 'battling' and match up duties. That bottom 6 offensive line would get sheltered ozone starts  and far easier deployment

I think in essence were saying the same things.

I'm on board with a bottom 6 O line. Essentially what I was saying was "managed" O zone starts with Bo and Brock and some PP reps. Where a guy like Virtanen with his speed and power game could slot in for their heavier minutes and exploit the north south game that is Bo's MO.  

I thought EP had a decent WJHC....

Showed some flashes of skill, and had a few nice snipes.  Glad he showed us that....  cause 5 on 5, his line (whichever he was playing) was really ineffective I thought.  Puck possession was poor...  still very weak in puck battles... and against kids his age...  His line never really applied much in the way of pressure the way the other lines did for Sweden.

Overall I was disappointed with his showing as it's the largest sample size I've seen of him.  I was really hoping for some dominance...  not just PP prowess.  That's on me obviously...  seeing the numbers in the SHL and hoping that this kid will be arriving any day... but..

He does not look NHL ready...  like not even close. 

He's going to have to work extremely hard this upcoming summer on gaining strength and balance throughout his core. 

I'm still 100% positive that he'll become an effective NHL scorer.  Fantastic skill set and vision...  but it's going to be a while.  

I generally try not to read too much into these tournaments, but I do think that it showed us that Elias Pettersson is still on track with Canucks managements initial read...  which is that he's going to take 2-3 years of development before he's ready to make an impact on the NHL.

Dahlin on the other hand...  just wow.  What a horse he's going to become.

Could this year be the year?  I'm praying it is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good question. Växjö play their next SHL game on the 11th. That’s probably enough time that you’d expect him to be back in the lineup.

I'm pretty sure Vaxjo plays on the 9th in Champions League Hockey against Liberec (and your boy Jasek) :) I would imagine he could play then

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Mr53 said:

I'm pretty sure Vaxjo plays on the 9th in Champions League Hockey against Liberec (and your boy Jasek) :) I would imagine he could play then

Most likely he’ll play.

Although I could see a decent enough argument for them resting him for that leg 1 semi.

Liberec is a major underdog. And even if the Lakers lost the first game (after resting Pettersson), Elias would probably just singlehandedly wreck Liberec in leg 2 and secure the aggregate win.

So after a gruelling tournament, dealing with the flu, reportedly losing some weight while ill, and all the travel, a few days off might not be a bad idea.

Don’t want to ride the kid too hard. The CHL trophy is nice and all, but it’s not the end all be all. Especially with the Olympics a possibility and Växjö looking to win an SHL title. 

I mean, that time Elias hurt his knee in a CHL game, Swedish Twitter was all like “why are you risking him for this stupid tournament?” :lol:

But yeah, the CHL semi on the 9th will be Växjö’s next game. Just not their next SHL game. And maybe I was being a little too literal in my earlier post. ;) 

He showed flashes, and has a better shot than I anticipated. First time watching him extensively and like others have posted in a short tournament it is hard to gel with new teammates.

I was hoping since he was dominating a Men's hockey league that he would be able to for sure dominate a world junior tourney. Give him some slack for being ill, that definitely doesnt help. He did get pushed around but showed willingness to take hits. He needs to work on his core and of course gain strength. He will be a hybrid of Henrik Sedin and Naslund imo. Should do well on the PP.

Personally if he is not used as a C in this tournament, I really dont know how he can do it against the bigger stronger men in the NHL. I am fine if he plays as a LW, as we could have a very dominate 1st line. Just leaves a hole at our C depth, heres hoping Gaudette can step in to the NHL and be a nice surprise.

All in all, hope Pettersson rests up before getting back into the SHL, once he does I hope he finishes the year off strong and can challenge and hopefully win the SHL scoring title.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:55 AM, WeneedLumme said:

The problem with EP playing in the AHL is the same problem he had in this tourney. When he is playing with inferior players who can't get him the puck and who aren't where they should be when he wants to give them the puck, it leads to him trying to do it all himself. Which does not produce good results, frustrates him, and is not the best way to develop him imo.

You're talking about the AHL like it's a beer league full of scrubs, which it's not. 

Pettersson NEEDS to become more accustomed to the NA sized ice before he hits the big leagues, and some time in the AHL would do just that. Sure as hell didn't hurt Nylander.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that Lind, Gadjovich, and possibly Juolevi, Gaudette and Dahlen will be playing for the comets next season. If we're considering them "inferior players", then we're in some serious trouble.

I am certain he would score a lot on the powerplay and hopefully he can put on the weight to protect himself from hits. Literally the only thing that would hinder him now would be strength.  Everything else is NHL ready and elite. Rare talent.

Edited by ohmy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You're talking about the AHL like it's a beer league full of scrubs, which it's not. 

Pettersson NEEDS to become more accustomed to the NA sized ice before he hits the big leagues, and some time in the AHL would do just that. Sure as hell didn't hurt Nylander.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that Lind, Gadjovich, and possibly Juolevi, Gaudette and Dahlen will be playing for the comets next season. If we're considering them "inferior players", then we're in some serious trouble.

I thought Pettersson looked really good on the North American sized rinks in the WJC tournament

• Upvote 2

On 1/6/2018 at 12:24 PM, aGENT said:

I vote putting him on a bottom 6 'offensive' line away from the extra pressure, competition and best defenders that playing in the top 6 would force him to face. Sheltered ozone time against lower QOC and PP time. As he gets his feet wet and he adjusts you can slowly give him spurts in the top 6 with injuries etc and go from there.

Kinda like the way Horvat & the Sedins started. Seems like a good plan to me. 

Edited by CoolCanucklehead

He did disappear little bit in the final game, but rest of the tournament went fine for petterson. He cant score on every shift or even every game. Considering his puck possesion was not high he still managed 4 goals in the tournament. Sweden was counting high on him to generate offense. When he was on ice on Powerplays, everyone was passing him the puck to shoot. He shooting lanes were obviously blocked many times. He was obviously matched against the teams top defenders. Every other team knew this kid is the leading scorer from sweden, they played a lot physical game against him. SHL is not much of physical league. We have to consider that he was playing against some of the best players/prospects not in the NHL. 

Other than that, dont rush the kid, another year in SHL or AHL wont hurt him. This is a marathon not a sprint. He not ready yet but we all know its the just the matter of time before he starts his magic show in nhl, when and not if.

2 hours ago, FireGillis said:

Kid is NHL ready.  Boeser is going to score 50 next year with Elias feeding him!

I don't think he's quite NHL ready yet. In the finals he was out-muscled and a lot of times was neutralized due to Canada's run and gun style which is vastly similar to the NHL. He needs to gain strength, not necessarily weight, strength. I noticed he got knocked off the pucks a couple of times and was ineffective without the puck in his own end. He's definitely skilled and possess a wicked shot no question about it.

I think he'll be in Utica next year, kinda like the path Will Nylander had. Have him play a full season in the AHL, call him up if need be. Let him dominate there.

Pettersson, Gadjovich, Lind, Dahlen, could all potentially play in Utica next year. That's quite a boost.

• Upvote 3

On 2018-01-06 at 1:24 PM, aGENT said:

It was just an example. I'm not married to that line :lol: I think Baer will still be playing with Bo/Boes as that line needs a play maker IMO. Heck we could see something like a 4th 'kid' line (Goldobin, Gaudette, Petterson).

Exactly B)

In college, Gaudette has a reputation of being a 200 foot player.  Pointswise, he is up in the Boeser zone.  Whether his defensive play is NHL ready is questionable, but on a sheltered line, he may well be ready - particularly at home, where we have last change.  But, if he can make it, it may clear a spot for Pettersson on his wing.  I’d hate to see Pettersson have to carry the Sedins in their dotage.