The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, Pettersson wasn't even close to being in the top-3 on his team!  Not even remotely close.  He was a distant fourth.  Dahlin was phenomenal and looks NHL-ready.  Lias Andersson was head and shoulders better than Pettersson.  And Nylander outplayed him too.  EP was the only one of the four who wasn't a positive player (one of only three on his team).  He floated on the outside the entire time.  He was only a threat on the power-play.  Etc...

EP was easily the most skilled, talented, and dominant forward on his team.  He will be a 100 point NHL superstar.  Alex Nylander will likely be playing in the Euro leagues by age 23.  

Canucks are great, and so are our prospects!  

(Are you a Canuck’s Fan?)

No he wasn't.  Andersson clearly out-played him in the tournament.  It wasn't even arguable.  And, again, Pettersson was one of only three players on his team who finised in the minuses.  If he was so dominant, how come the other teams scored more on him than he scored on them?  Andersson was what, plus-6 (and scored more goals)?

Do you guys really think national-team coaches don't know how their own players played?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

EP was easily the most skilled, talented, and dominant forward on his team.  He will be a 100 point NHL superstar.  Alex Nylander will likely be playing in the Euro leagues by age 23.  

Canucks are great, and so are our prospects!  

(Are you a Canuck’s Fan?)

"(Are you a Canuck’s Fan?)"

Maybe he is just not a blind one.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

"(Are you a Canuck’s Fan?)"

Maybe he is just not a blind one.

Your opinion on Pettersson is completely wrong.  I doubt any of the Swedish forwards, other than Pettersson play in the NHL.  As for their defense, clearly ?Dhalin is a future NHLer, but guys like Lligegrn (why even bother to learn this guy’s proper spelling) are just too small and soft for here.  

26 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

No he wasn't.  Andersson clearly out-played him in the tournament.  It wasn't even arguable.  And, again, Pettersson was one of only three players on his team who finised in the minuses.  If he was so dominant, how come the other teams scored more on him than he scored on them?  Andersson was what, plus-6 (and scored more goals)?

Do you guys really think national-team coaches don't know how their own players played?

I would have to agree that Andersson out-played Pettersson in the overall game and was able to be utilized more. Plus he probably played hurt. He reminds a bit of Horvat's style of play. I would love to have him as one of our prospects, but we need someone like Pettersson more who is more high powered offense. Pettersson would've probably looked good playing with Andersson more and I'm not sure why the Swedish coaches avoided that 5v5. Plus picking Nylander over Pettersson for one of the top three in the tournament made me question the Swedish coaches' mindset.

42 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, Pettersson wasn't even close to being in the top-3 on his team!  Not even remotely close.  He was a distant fourth.  Dahlin was phenomenal and looks NHL-ready.  Lias Andersson was head and shoulders better than Pettersson.  And Nylander outplayed him too.  EP was the only one of the four who wasn't a positive player (one of only three on his team).  He floated on the outside the entire time.  He was only a threat on the power-play.  Etc...

2 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Or at least the minus button.

They should add a LOL option.

Lol. That's funny. Nylander wasn't good. Mostly secondary assists and one goal. Anderrsen was good on the PP.......with EP.

26 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

What, if I'm not delusional and I don't pretend that our players were the best players on the ice (when they weren't even close), I'm a troll and not a fan all of a sudden?  Jesus.

Must be fun watching our players with rose-coloured glasses all the time?  I, however, prefer reality...

I am amongst those who think Elias didn't have a great tournament but to say Nylander played better than him? Nylander was horrible...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Your opinion on Pettersson is completely wrong.

No, your opinion is actually the incorrect one.  Pettersson's own coaches ranked him outside of the top 3 (for good reason).  They know a lot more about how their players played than you do...

I doubt any of the Swedish forwards, other than Pettersson play in the NHL

Ha!  Andersson was taken 7th overall.  And, will almost surely play NHL games next year.

22 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

:picard::sadno:

PETTERSSON > Andersson 

Especially after this.

The reason he claims to have done that is that the fan probably wanted it more than him, which is true. Lias said that it will sit in some box and be forgotten while looking at that fan, it looked like it was his 5 seconds of Fame. If he had thrown his stick to the fan (maybe he thinks that stick is cursed) instead, would it still be bad? He could've just chucked it into the crowd (Gulutzan stick style), but it looked like he asked if the guy wanted it and he put his hands out, so he tossed it over for him.

I understand why the situation doesn't look good, but I see a guy that hates to lose and coming from the usual emotionless Swedes, it was nice to see someone show some.

Edit: I should add that I don't think he should be doing this all the time, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt of this situation and certainly not use this as justification that Pettersson had a better world junior tournament than Andersson

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

I'm not sure what games you were watching but Pettersson was better than Andersson and most certainly Nylander. Nylander was quite disappointing, throughout the tournament. 

I apparently watched the same games as Sweden's coaches - seeing as they all ranked Nylander higher than Pettersson too...  I love how everyone here thinks they know more about how people played than their national-team coaching staffs!

And, to claim that Pettersson played better than Andersson is utterly ludicrous.  Sure, you can argue that Pettersson was maybe the third best player on his team (but, to be fair, you can also make a decent argument that he was fifth), but you cannot argue that he was in one of the top two spots.  Those were taken by Dahlin and Andersson.  By a long-shot.  Pettersson didn't even come close to those two.  Not even remotely close.  Andersson was plus-5, Dahlin was plus-7, Pettersson was minus-1.  It's pretty hard to be a minus on a team that wins almost all their games.

Just because you want Pettersson to be the best player on his team - doesn't make it so. 

3 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

quality of linemates and ice time were definitely a factor.  that pp would of been far less effective without #14 and #8 or Sweden. not to mention he had the flu for most of the tournament..  i agree he played in the outside a lot.  hard to say if thats comnon for him on na sized rinks or we can just calk it up as him losing a step from illness. his laser beam shot was 100% the reason he scored those beauties.  dahlin made some amazing passes to ep14. nylander had 1 decent pp pass that lead to a pettersson snipe.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1