The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Guess he was closest - ohl MVP but still a stretch comparison 

we've never had a prospect like this 

Oh mvp.  Doesn't he hold some world jr record as well. And was producing like mad in his first handful of games with the moose?

Hodgson was a big deal around here. I know personally I was hyping him as much as others are hyping SO.

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Oh mvp.  Doesn't he hold some world jr record as well. And was producing like mad in his first handful of games with the moose?

Hodgson was a big deal around here. I know personally I was hyping him as much as others are hyping SO.

Hodgson wad an elite junior player and had a pretty good rookie year in the NHL. He had a back injury that hurt his development and a bizarre metobolic condition that made him physicaly ill during exercise. That's what ended his career

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Dahlin hasn't either and Walker and other of your Vancouver media are going on about how he is a lock, Norris winner in future and would make your team all that much better.   It cuts both ways.

Imagine if the canucks drafted 2nd overall and JB took Nolan Patrick. Media would be ripping him for not taking all time Swedish junior scoring record holder Elias Pettersson, even though Nolan Patrick is in the NHL (and is having a good season). The “reserve judgement till they play in the NHL” act is nauseating 

Edited by Canadian Clay
  • Cheers 1

Pettersson has all the talent needed to be an absolute star at the NHL level. But this team needs a top line centre and Pettersson has developed mostly on the wing. Therefore I would put him in Utica next year until he's physically strong enough and becomes comfortable playing at centre. Leave this crappy Canucks team somewhat intact for next year and stack up Utica with prospects and let them grow into a dominating group and bring them up next year. I cant believe that the Sedins wont be back next year and I see Jim trying to sign a couple UFAs such as Kane and a RD on a 1-2year deal.

Canucks              I can see Baertschi traded along with a guy like Gagner or Granlund. I can see Hutton and Tanev traded on the backend. Nilsson traded.

Kane-Bo-Boeser

Sedins-granlund

Goldy-Sutter-Virtanen

Eriksson-Gaunce-Liepsic

Gagner-Archibald-Motte

Edler-Guddy

Del Zotto-Stetcher

Pouliot-Biega/UFA

McEneny

Marky

Demko

In Utica

Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind

Gadjovich-Gaudette-Palmu

MacEwen-Cassels-D'Auost

Juolevi-Chatfield

Brisebois-Sautner

Bachman

DiPietro

With injuries and trades call up our top performing prospects.

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Pettersson has all the talent needed to be an absolute star at the NHL level. But this team needs a top line centre and Pettersson has developed mostly on the wing.

His coach noted yesterday he excels in all three forward spots FWIW. Though he very well, may start on W if he's here next year.

I'm hopeful we put one (or both?) of Kane/Virtanen on his wing next year. Some size, speed, sand paper and shot would compliment him nicely.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

His coach noted yesterday he excels in all three forward spots FWIW. Though he very well, may start on W if he's here next year.

I'm hopeful we put one (or both?) of Kane/Virtanen on his wing next year. Some size, speed, sand paper and shot would compliment him nicely.

Im just trying to preach some patience with our prospects. Its a big leap from a European league to the NHL. If I'm the Canucks Im using a William Nylander model for Pettersson and other European prospects.

Our team could absolutely dominate in a couple years with the talented youth we have coming in but patience with this rebuild is key. Especially since we need a couple more top defence prospects which you can really only get through the draft. 

It's March. Pettersson has almost half a year to bulk up, get stronger. I'm assuming he'll be in VAN training with the Sedins, etc.in the off season. He will play if he deserves to play. Just like Boeser. Hard to imagine him not being good enough (or ready) to make the team next fall. But the Canucks might choose to keep him in Utica next year too, and that's not a terrible idea. I don't want him to join the team and struggle with the smaller ice, tougher league. I want him to excel out of the gates, have some success. If that means biding some time until he's 100% ready, then so be it. Utica could have a wicked team next year, and in 2 years, we'll see a few of the prospects join the Canucks (Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, Juolevi, Demko and maybe Gadjovich). The 2019/20 season is when I think the Canucks will turn the corner. Next season might be more of the same, a decent team with a couple of added UFAs to keep things interesting.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Im just trying to preach some patience with our prospects. Its a big leap from a European league to the NHL. If I'm the Canucks Im using a William Nylander model for Pettersson and other European prospects.

Our team could absolutely dominate in a couple years with the talented youth we have coming in but patience with this rebuild is key. Especially since we need a couple more top defence prospects which you can really only get through the draft. 

I'm not making any guarantees he's on the Canucks next year. Those thoughts were IF he makes the team. IF he does, I'd like one or two big bodies on his line to shoulder some of that load.

He could very well require some AHL adjustment time. And that's ok. I won't be fretting in the least if he needs some time (or if he gets some 'Stecher' treatment as we wait for injuries/trades to make space).

That said, he just broke a 42 year old record for a reason. The kid may be too damn good to play anywhere else. He could easily be the best player on the team not named Horvat or Boeser.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not making any guarantees he's on the Canucks next year. Those thoughts were IF he makes the team. IF he does, I'd like one or two big bodies on his line to shoulder some of that load.

He could very well require some AHL adjustment time. And that's ok. I won't be fretting in the least if he needs some time (or if he gets some 'Stecher' treatment as we wait for injuries/trades to make space).

That said, he just broke a 42 year old record for a reason. The kid may be too damn good to play anywhere else. He could easily be the best player on the team not named Horvat or Boeser.

I'd love to see him but I don't believe this kid will ever play a game in Utica.  If he adds enough muscle to his frame he will be in Vancouver.  If he doesn't then he will go back to Sweden and avoid the North American game for another year.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I'd love to see him but I don't believe this kid will ever play a game in Utica.  If he adds enough muscle to his frame he will be in Vancouver.  If he doesn't then he will go back to Sweden and avoid the North American game for another year.

If he signs an NHL contract this year but goes back to Sweden for the 2018-2019 season, would his contract slide for that season? If it does, then I imagine Canucks will lean that direction. However, if it would still burn a year off his contract, JB might try and influence Elias to stay in NA, even if that means Utica bound

6 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I doubt he plays in Utica either but that's because I think he probably makes the Canucks :P

I think if he's REALLY close and/or it's a situation like Stecher where roster space is the issue you might see him for a bit. But that's about it.

Edited by aGENT

8 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

If he signs an NHL contract this year but goes back to Sweden for the 2018-2019 season, would his contract slide for that season? If it does, then I imagine Canucks will lean that direction. However, if it would still burn a year off his contract, JB might try and influence Elias to stay in NA, even if that means Utica bound

It doesn't look like his contract can slide since he turns 20 in November.  From Cap Friendly.

What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I doubt he plays in Utica either but that's because I think he probably makes the Canucks :P

I'm cautiously optimistic that you are correct.  Just like when you play sports, it's not a good idea to get too excited about successes or too down about failures.  Still, EP's 4 point game to take 1st overall in scoring and set a record for U20 scoring in shl history is a pretty big thing.  If this translates to similar NHL success, I might need medication next year.

8 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

When/how  did he admit to that?

Tweets of his from 2011 and elsewhere openly disliking the Canucks and cheering for the Bruins, which were just reposted somewhere here the past few days.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Dahlin hasn't either and Walker and other of your Vancouver media are going on about how he is a lock, Norris winner in future and would make your team all that much better.

...until we draft him.  Then it'll be a catastrophe if he doesn't make the team, and once he does it'll be "all those turnoverz!"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think fans need to be patient. The NHL is the best league in the world. And that's not to downplay what Pettersson has accomplished this year in the SHL. But IF he doesn't crack the line up, and doesn't make the team right away - that's OK. He would need developmental time, which is expected for a 19 year old. Would I be surprised if he does make the squad come October? No, I wouldn't. He's such an intelligent player, so smart, that I am not worried. He's going to make it, whether it's immediate or whether he will need some North American seasoning. 

Maybe we should ask his head coach about that:

He's been playing in men's leagues for two years now, since he was 17, and has rocked them both.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think that Pettersson makes the team out if camp, along with Gaudette.  I would not be the least bit upset if he does start in Utica though.  It's a long season, and if he gets a few games under his belt away from the spotlight, no big deal.  We aren't likely to be competitive next year, so not a huge rush to get these guys onto the NHL roster.

Seriously, I never heard of Kent Nilsson until Pettersson started threatening his record.  Then I thought, bah, Nilsson is just a former Swedish star that had success oversees but not in the NHL.  Now I realize he was a pretty darn good NHL player, being above PPG in every single NHL season (except one, 60 in 61) holding the Swedish record for points in a season and many other accomplishment.  

My question only is, how does this guy, who was always a PPG went from the NHL to Italy in one off-season.  He played for 5 different teams (in 5 different country)  in a span of 4 years : Minnesota, Edmonton, Bolzano, Djugarden, Kloten.  Surprising, wonder if it was a personal/family choice or he was blacklisted from the NHL?

7 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Seriously, I never heard of Kent Nilsson until Pettersson started threatening his record.  Then I thought, bah, Nilsson is just a former Swedish star that had success oversees but not in the NHL.  Now I realize he was a pretty darn good NHL player, being above PPG in every single NHL season (except one, 60 in 61) holding the Swedish record for points in a season and many other accomplishment.  

My question only is, how does this guy, who was always a PPG went from the NHL to Italy in one off-season.  He played for 5 different teams (in 5 different country)  in a span of 4 years : Minnesota, Edmonton, Bolzano, Djugarden, Kloten.  Surprising, wonder if it was a personal/family choice or he was blacklisted from the NHL?

Family and personal reasons. Alot of Swedish players did that back in the day like mats naslund, and hakan loob.