The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Don Cherry on Sportsnet 650 talking about Pettersson:

"This guy, I have to admit he has got the touch and he knows whats going on! He doesn't have the weight but my god he has got it going on. When you look at him and see how far ahead he is from other guys, pretty amazing and this team should be good."

"As long as he keeps it up because I have seen this happen before with guys starting so hot out of the gate. You have to keep it going in the playoffs because it looks like the Canucks could be there this spring."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, coastal.view said:

sorry

don't mean to nitpick

but what is your stats projection based on ? ?

he has 9 goals and 6 assists

i'm not sure that ratio will change in the manner you suggest

if he gets 91 points i think he will need to score close to 50 goals to get there

seems outrageous though doesn't it???

damn this alien stuff

is messing with my reality

(in a good way though) :P

Based on the fact that he's always been seen as more of a playmaker than goal scorer. I think his numbers will even out and we'll see the play making come out more.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Based on the fact that he's always been seen as more of a playmaker than goal scorer. I think his numbers will even out and we'll see the play making come out more.

I think it will all depend on what the team needs.  If the guys aren't scoring, then EP40 takes charge.  If the guys are taking care of business, then EP40  gets the puck to them. 

For anyone interested what they are saying about EP40 back in Sweden.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/m62Jgl/elias-pettersson-prisad-igen

Aftonbladet is Sweden's largest news outlet and it seems to something on EP every couple of days.   If your Swedish is rusty, your browser can likely translate.    Of interest is a list that they keep posting tracking all-time Swedes in NHL and their rate of point accumulation through the number of games EP plays.   After 9 it stands as follows:

Svenska stjärnornas facit efter 9 rookiematcher

Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Canucks, 2018: 9 mål + 6 assist – 15 poäng

Kent Nilsson, Atlanta Flames, 1979: 6 mål + 7 assist – 13 poäng

Tomas Sandström, NY Rangers, 1984: 6 mål + 2 assist – 8 poäng

Mats Näslund, Montreal Canadiens, 1982: 3 mål + 5 assist – 8 poäng

Mats Sundin, Quebec Nordiques, 1990: 3 mål + 5 assist – 8 poäng

Daniel Sedin, Vancouver Canucks, 2000: 3 mål + 5 assist – 8 poäng

Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa Senators, 1995: 1 mål + 7 assist – 8 poäng

Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red WIngs, 2002: 3 mål + 3 assist – 6 poäng

Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks, 2000: 2 mål + 4 assist – 6 poäng

Nicklas Lidström, Detroit Red Wings, 1991: 1 mål + 4 assist – 5 poäng

Peter Forsberg, Quebec Nordiques, 1994: 1 mål + 4 assist – 5 poäng

Nicklas Bäckström, Washington Capitals, 2007: 0 mål + 5 assist – 5 poäng

Patrik Sundström, Vancouver Canucks, 1982: 2 mål + 2 assist – 4 poäng

Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning, 2009: 0 mål + 4 assist – 4 poäng

Börje Salming, Toronto Maple Leafs,  1973: 0 mål + 4 assist – 4 poäng

Håkan Loob, Calgary Flames, 1983: 3 mål + 0 assist – 3 poäng

Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators, 2009: 0 mål + 3 assist – 3 poäng

• Like 2

Speaking of EP40 and media back in Sweden, this piece sure made me chuckle. Elvis - is in the building! Here's the Google Chrome translation:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/e1gp5y

Elias Pettersson's new show tonight: "Lord God"

Fought for five points in Vancouvers victory

NEW YORK. Elvis held a new show in Vancouver tonight.

Yes, Elias Pettersson is called the number so - and he contributed two goals and three assisted when Canucks won a wild match against Colorado with 7-6.

Thus he is in fifteen points in nine matches and has completed the best Swedish season start in the NHL story.

"It's amazing to see him," said team mate Loui Eriksson to Sportbladet.

It is the teammates who, with the help of local media, gave the Swedish rookie sensation Elias Pettersson the nickname Elvis - and talk that he lived up to it during the night's home game against Gabriel Landeskog and the other Avalanche stars.

He made up with just the spectacular kind of show that the old rock 'n' roll-king had loved.

Two brilliant assistants

First, he won two brilliant assistants to the new radar partner Brock Boeser - and the other was a masterpiece a la Henrik Sedin. Elias carefully put the puck in the cardboard so that it bounced out to Boeser - and he could only put it in the box.

"I saw that Brock had higher speed than the back and thought that the variant might work," he told the local media afterwards.

"I tried something similar to one of the first matches, but then it became icing. So it does not always work, but now it was fine.

Then he scored two goals himself too. At the end of the second period, he pushed in 4-4 in general move in front of the Avalanche keeper Philipp Grubauer - and when 36 seconds left of regular matchtid, he dumped the newest NHL career until now. The home team was under 5-6 and had picked Jakob Markström out of the box. Then the 19-year-old mediocre showed up in the castle, got a fitting and damned the receipt.

Played until the decision

- Hello, I do not think he himself understands how good he is, cheered the local TV commentators after the triumph.

But that was not enough.

Before Elvis left the building - sorry ... he played until Derrick Pouliot's decisive overtime as well.

Conclusion:

Two goals, three assist - five points.

And in total he has scored fifteen points on nine matches. It is Swedish rookie record. Mats Sundin, Peter Forsberg, Daniel Alfredsson, Brothers Sedin, Håkan Loob, Patrik Sundström ... They were not near fifteen points after their first matches in the world's best league.

"And then it's still so much more difficult nowadays," said team mate Loui Eriksson on the phone from Vancouver.

"It's amazing to see him. The match tonight was absolutely amazing. He was in everything we did forward. And just set important goals. That he can already play like this when he's so young ... yes, that's really impressive.

Loui did a goal himself too - the first for the season.

- Yes, now I'm glowing ... hey hey, well, of course it was nice. I've had a lot of situations, but nothing goes easy for me right now, he continues.

"Although we always find ways to win, Trotrs says we have so much damage, and it is still the most important thing.

Gabriel Landeskog had an assistant for Colorado

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For anyone interested what they are saying about EP40 back in Sweden.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/m62Jgl/elias-pettersson-prisad-igen

Aftonbladet is Sweden's largest news outlet and it seems to something on EP every couple of days.   If your Swedish is rusty, your browser can likely translate.    Of interest is a list that they keep posting tracking all-time Swedes in NHL and their rate of point accumulation through the number of games EP plays.   After 9 it stands as follows:

Svenska stjärnornas facit efter 9 rookiematcher

Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Canucks, 2018: 9 mål + 6 assist – 15 poäng

Kent Nilsson, Atlanta Flames, 1979: 6 mål + 7 assist – 13 poäng

Tomas Sandström, NY Rangers, 1984: 6 mål + 2 assist – 8 poäng

Mats Näslund, Montreal Canadiens, 1982: 3 mål + 5 assist – 8 poäng

Mats Sundin, Quebec Nordiques, 1990: 3 mål + 5 assist – 8 poäng

Daniel Sedin, Vancouver Canucks, 2000: 3 mål + 5 assist – 8 poäng

Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa Senators, 1995: 1 mål + 7 assist – 8 poäng

Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red WIngs, 2002: 3 mål + 3 assist – 6 poäng

Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks, 2000: 2 mål + 4 assist – 6 poäng

Nicklas Lidström, Detroit Red Wings, 1991: 1 mål + 4 assist – 5 poäng

Peter Forsberg, Quebec Nordiques, 1994: 1 mål + 4 assist – 5 poäng

Nicklas Bäckström, Washington Capitals, 2007: 0 mål + 5 assist – 5 poäng

Patrik Sundström, Vancouver Canucks, 1982: 2 mål + 2 assist – 4 poäng

Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning, 2009: 0 mål + 4 assist – 4 poäng

Börje Salming, Toronto Maple Leafs,  1973: 0 mål + 4 assist – 4 poäng

Håkan Loob, Calgary Flames, 1983: 3 mål + 0 assist – 3 poäng

Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators, 2009: 0 mål + 3 assist – 3 poäng

What are we going to do with our pre-season predictions/admonitions of "hold your breath everyone, let's not get too ahead of ourselves, if he can score 40 that would be great, if he gets more that's just gravy"

29 minutes ago, nzan said:

What are we going to do with our pre-season predictions/admonitions of "hold your breath everyone, let's not get too ahead of ourselves, if he can score 40 that would be great, if he gets more that's just gravy"

It's strange to think there was even a bit of a debate whether he should start in Utica.

That list has the best-of-the-best Swedes ever, and he's currently topping the list. He's only played 9 games (6-3), and he's already a star.  I wonder how great he'll actually become once he has an elite LWer on his line and 10 lbs of additional muscle. I think he's our best hope at a Cup. He's so determined to win, he'll make that happen. Many were picking the Canucks to finish in the bottom 3 again, but now that everyone is becoming aware of Pettersson and seeing what he can do, there`s actually talk of possible playoffs, if he can stay healthy. Imagine when Hughes gets here and feeds Pettersson the puck all game. Having Boeser as a scoring weapon makes that line pretty deadly already. I`m just not sold on Goldobin yet.  

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's strange to think there was even a bit of a debate whether he should start in Utica.

That list has the best-of-the-best Swedes ever, and he's currently topping the list. He's only played 9 games (6-3), and he's already a star.  I wonder how great he'll actually become once he has an elite LWer on his line and 10 lbs of additional muscle. I think he's our best hope at a Cup. He's so determined to win, he'll make that happen. Many were picking the Canucks to finish in the bottom 3 again, but now that everyone is becoming aware of Pettersson and seeing what he can do, there`s actually talk of possible playoffs, if he can stay healthy. Imagine when Hughes gets here and feeds Pettersson the puck all game. Having Boeser as a scoring weapon makes that line pretty deadly already. I`m just not sold on Goldobin yet.  

I agree with you on Goldy. I really want him to pan out though. He seems to have developed a friendship off the ice with Petey. Makes me want it to work out that much more. 

37 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

To be honest, I’m still holding my breath and trying to not be too over-excited.

My new hope, calibrated for injury, slow-down, increased coverage and coming-back-to-earth, is still that he ends up with 60 points...I would be overjoyed if he could hit that.