The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Did you tug one out after last game? ;)

Fans aren’t Pettersson haters… we are haters of arrogance and greed. Once Pettersson realizes hes here because he was able to play hockey and did it well, and stop worrying about his image and social media, and start playing with passion and conviction we will all stop riding his ass!

He just made a contract that painted himself into a 7 million dollar corner, and will have to put up with the scrutiny of it. 

Have you watched the games and come to the conclusion that he's lazy on the forecheck or backcheck? If so we're watching different games.

His skating is off, his timing with the puck is off, confidence seems off and in general he's just been bad, but defense and effort has been there all along in my view. I think if you understand the game it's obvious that it's just so much easier to play when you have confidence and things go your way.

I think he's slowly getting a little better for each game and I guess 8 points in 12 games is not bad considering how far below his standard he's played offensively.

12 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Did you tug one out after last game? ;)

Fans aren’t Pettersson haters… we are haters of arrogance and greed. Once Pettersson realizes hes here because he was able to play hockey and did it well, and stop worrying about his image and social media, and start playing with passion and conviction we will all stop riding his ass!

He just made a contract that painted himself into a 7 million dollar corner, and will have to put up with the scrutiny of it. 

When Pete signed that contract, pretty much everyone on this forum were happy with it.  I don't think there were many people thinking that Pete was an arrogant or greedy person at all.

Just because he's had a slow start (for various reasons) does not change his character.  He is struggling with a reduction in his

skill level, due to such a long time away from the ice and a modified training season (wrist injury).  Even a slight 'rustiness' can create havoc for a player at the NHL level.  His cerebral skill are still there, but his timing (and skill related) is off.

He appears to be making progress in the more recent games, so hopefully it won't be too long before we see the return of the Alien we all know and love.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Canucks Curse, what you’ve just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

great billy

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Have you watched the games and come to the conclusion that he's lazy on the forecheck or backcheck? If so we're watching different games.

His skating is off, his timing with the puck is off, confidence seems off and in general he's just been bad, but defense and effort has been there all along in my view. I think if you understand the game it's obvious that it's just so much easier to play when you have confidence and things go your way.

I think he's slowly getting a little better for each game and I guess 8 points in 12 games is not bad considering how far below his standard he's played offensively.

Did you watch the nashville game? Go watch the Duchene goal again and tell me he is not lazy on the back check.

There have been many examples if this from him this year. I don’t give a $&!# how talented he is, if he isn’t going to show he’s willing to work hard then he’s going to be scrutinized. 

13 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Did you watch the nashville game? Go watch the Duchene goal again and tell me he is not lazy on the back check.

There have been many examples if this from him this year. I don’t give a $&!# how talented he is, if he isn’t going to show he’s willing to work hard then he’s going to be scrutinized. 

Was that two days ago before he got three points during Dallas?

Edited by Me_

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I post what i thought was a fairly compelling stat. He's for all intents and purposes , the #1 pick. Has this happened in Canucks history , i don't know. And your only reaction is to ask if i tugged one out after last game :picard: You are just annoyed because it will be harder to bash him and hurling out trade ideas , when he's the best player in the 2017 draft.

And why he isn't skating like Josh Bailey , to let his NHL career live for one more day. :picard:

7.3 million over 3 years is what is known as a bridge deal. Knowledgeable NHL fans don't ride a player's ass about money in a bridge deal. That's why it's a bridge. When he gets 10 million over 8, that's when you can question the money. Not now. 

As for 10 million , i am just talking reality. Take the players with the most points out of the last few drafts and see what they are making. 8 million isn't enough. Maybe , just maybe , 9.25 or 9.5

Sure glad you don’t run hockey teams. Just throwing out dollars to anyone with a pulse.

Petey the first two seasons of his career is worth 7 mil on a bridge deal, no more. He's not even a point a game player. This season 5v5 he has little points, and a couple of second assists is nothing to toot the horn about. Starting to play with conviction on the PP, with other stars though so stats on the PP will be easy to come by. 

Maybe I’m a little old school and think rfa’s with only a couple of seasons under their belt should not be holding out for more money. Mitch Marner and the other leafs holdouts disgust me.

Pettersson has shown his true colours, and winning in Van is not a top priority, making money is.

I was never sold in the Sedins winning the cup due to lack of toughness, but I respect them and never gave them a hard time… because they were team first and winning first mentality, and came close to winning. (Boston can suck it)

For 10+ million we can get two top second line players, or a first line superstar… something Petey has shown glimpses of but not consistently, as of right now he’s looking like he can’t keep up on the NHL ice size and in that case he’s going to have to simplify and work hard both ends of the ice. 

#1 pick in a an average draft does NOT equal $10+ Million dollars.

I wish that there would be a cap placed on salaries for RFA players with minimal amount of games and experience… I know there are a lot of people who would disagree with this, but there is too much money being squandered on unproven players (Two good seasons and 1.5 playoff rounds is not proven)

Pettersson is a good player and I am not a hater of him. I do expect him to be at least top 3 player on this team.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Was that two days ago before he got three points during Dallas?

Yes that was the best game from Pettersson this year, hope he keeps it up. And those points came on the PP, good for him. It’s a start and I expect that more from him. When playing the PP with Boeser, Hughes, and Miller points are expected. (For reference Chaisson was getting points on the PP as well)

12 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Yes that was the best game from Pettersson this year, hope he keeps it up. And those points came on the PP, good for him. It’s a start and I expect that more from him. When playing the PP with Boeser, Hughes, and Miller points are expected. (For reference Chaisson was getting points on the PP as well)

If I recall correctly, and forgive me if I don’t, I believe Boeser gave up pretty early on that second Nashville goals…

8 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Petey the first two seasons of his career is worth 7 mil on a bridge deal, no more. He's not even a point a game player. This season 5v5 he has little points, and a couple of second assists is nothing to toot the horn about. Starting to play with conviction on the PP, with other stars though so stats on the PP will be easy to come by. 

AB, you can't just roll back time.  When he accepted that deal, he was well worth it.  You're judging him on 10 games.

Maybe I’m a little old school and think rfa’s with only a couple of seasons under their belt should not be holding out for more money. Mitch Marner and the other leafs holdouts disgust me.

I would think that creating a fair deal for two players was far more complex and time-consuming than Marner's contract. 

I was never sold in the Sedins winning the cup due to lack of toughness, but I respect them and never gave them a hard time… because they were team first and winning first mentality, and came close to winning. (Boston can suck it)

For 10+ million we can get two top second line players, or a first line superstar… something Petey has shown glimpses of but not consistently, as of right now he’s looking like he can’t keep up on the NHL ice size and in that case he’s going to have to simplify and work hard both ends of the ice. 

#1 pick in a an average draft does NOT equal $10+ Million dollars.

I wish that there would be a cap placed on salaries for RFA players with minimal amount of games and experience… I know there are a lot of people who would disagree with this, but there is too much money being squandered on unproven players (Two good seasons and 1.5 playoff rounds is not proven)

Pete's $7.2mx3 was appropriate at the time.  Nobody knew that he would struggle so badly in his first 10 games.

Pettersson is a good player and I am not a hater of him. I do expect him to be at least top 3 player on this team.

I know that AB.  I feel the same way.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Sure glad you don’t run hockey teams. Just throwing out dollars to anyone with a pulse.

For 10+ million we can get two top second line players, or a first line superstar…

To anyone with a pulse eh ? The best player in the 2017 draft is "anyone with a pulse". :bigblush: We all know who Jason King is in this city because he got rookie of the month once And Petey got rookie of the f'ing year. But hey lets chase him out of the city.

That is utter twaddle. Players of Peteys caliber are not available at his age for ANY money. Unless you find a rare GM stupid enough not to keep them.  Like I think Burke did with RJ Umberger. Who played in the league till 2015/16. Our #1 pick. And he was no rookie of the year. You aren't getting any superstars in free agency for 10 million. They just aren't available.

You are stuck with the players you draft. And its not a good or bad thing. It just is. Get used to Petey. Because he is going nowhere. He's the player we drafted. There are no dream scenarios where we can take Petey's cap space and replace him with it.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

To anyone with a pulse eh ? The best player in the 2017 draft is "anyone with a pulse". :bigblush: We all know who Jason King is in this city because he got rookie of the month once And Petey got rookie of the f'ing year. But hey lets chase him out of the city.

That is utter twaddle. Players of Peteys caliber are not available at his age for ANY money. Unless you find a rare GM stupid enough not to keep them.  Like I think Burke did with RJ Umberger. Who played in the league till 2015/16. Our #1 pick. And he was no rookie of the year. You aren't getting any superstars in free agency for 10 million. They just aren't available.

You are stuck with the players you draft. And its not a good or bad thing. It just is. Get used to Petey. Because he is going nowhere. He's the player we drafted. There are no dream scenarios where we can take Petey's cap space and replace him with it.

Like I said… average draft, no one is a superstar in that draft. If Pettersson bumps the slump and continues to play at or near a ppg. Then hes worth the money. I like the kid, and have been a big fan of his. We wouldn’t be having this conversation if he wasn’t playing terrible in the first 10 games of the season after holding out for more money…

As a fan of the Canucks for the last 30+ years I have every right to be upset when he doesn’t show up to play hockey day 1 after demanding over  $7 mil. 

Your just blindly following the guy and are ok with it. Good for you, not everyone is ok with status quo. And I don’t have to support him if I don’t think he’s pulling his weight.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Like I said… average draft, no one is a superstar in that draft. If Pettersson bumps the slump and continues to play at or near a ppg. Then hes worth the money. I like the kid, and have been a big fan of his. We wouldn’t be having this conversation if he wasn’t playing terrible in the first 10 games of the season after holding out for more money…

As a fan of the Canucks for the last 30+ years I have every right to be upset when he doesn’t show up to play hockey day 1 after demanding over  $7 mil. 

Your just blindly following the guy and are ok with it. Good for you, not everyone is ok with status quo. And I don’t have to support him if I don’t think he’s pulling his weight.

Define superstar... 

Would be hard pressed to not consider someone like Cale Makar not a superstar in this league already. 

Bleachereport From 2017

2017 NHL Draft Results: Biggest Winners and Losers of Round 1

Loser: Vancouver Canucks

The Vancouver Canucks had the chance to take Portland Winterhawks center Cody Glass with the fifth pick. That was clearly what the pundits expected would happen when the Canucks were on the clock after Colorado took defender Cale Makar at No. 4. 

But the Canucks went with Swedish forward Elias Pettersson instead, and the Vegas Golden Knights wasted little time in nabbing Glass with the sixth selection.

Pettersson was projected to go high in the draft, but not this high. It's tough to project NHL prospects, but Glass should be a better player than Pettersson. Maybe that will be proved otherwise, but Pettersson seems to be a ways from becoming a legitimate NHL player. That might be true with Glass too, but the betting here is it won't be as long.

BOTTOM LINE: The Canucks just don't make much of a buzz anymore. It's hard to believe this is the same franchise that was one win away from a Stanley Cup as recently as 2011.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717660-2017-nhl-draft-results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Define superstar... 

Would be hard pressed to not consider someone like Cale Makar not a superstar in this league already. 

Yes forgot about makar, he IS a superstar for sure. Has almost PPG as a D man. Absolutely phenomenal player… 9 mil 6 year deal… I would be surprised if Pettersson was asking for less…

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Bleachereport From 2017

The Vancouver Canucks had the chance to take Portland Winterhawks center Cody Glass with the fifth pick. That was clearly what the pundits expected would happen when the Canucks were on the clock after Colorado took defender Cale Makar at No. 4. 

But the Canucks went with Swedish forward Elias Pettersson instead, and the Vegas Golden Knights wasted little time in nabbing Glass with the sixth selection.

Pettersson was projected to go high in the draft, but not this high. It's tough to project NHL prospects, but Glass should be a better player than Pettersson. Maybe that will be proved otherwise, but Pettersson seems to be a ways from becoming a legitimate NHL player. That might be true with Glass too, but the betting here is it won't be as long.

BOTTOM LINE: The Canucks just don't make much of a buzz anymore. It's hard to believe this is the same franchise that was one win away from a Stanley Cup as recently as 2011.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717660-2017-nhl-draft-results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

This is why quick judgements right after the draft are often foolish. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Bleachereport From 2017

oh look, a crap piece by an Avalanche hack writer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This is why quick judgements right after the draft are often foolish. 

It's also why I tend to go into drafts with little expectation. If we select a player I want, it doesn't mean it was the right or wrong pick. If we select a player I don't want, it's the exact same thing. Simply put, no one can predict the future.

Also (and this is going off in a bit of a tangent), I can see the purpose of being excited for the future, since it's something to look forward to, but I don't see the purpose of thinking the future is doomed. Mindset is everything in this day and age and there is such a thing as having the right mindset and having the wrong mindset.

• Cheers 3

I was making the case in the game day thread that Elias Petterson would be the #1 over all pick if we were to rerun the 2017 draft. Mainly because i read 3-4 articles about the subject that said as much. 

But some ppl were really convinced that Cale Makar would be the #1 over Petey if we reran the draft. 

Boren Byrom has more points than Cale Makar right now. He's the 4th over all from 2019, defenseman.