The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I firmly believe that his slump is confidence and mentality-based, not effort-based. He will eventually break out of it, but who knows how long it will take. A coaching change might be what's necessary.

So every time the highest paid Canucks forward craps his pants we have to fire the coach? Does this sound like a franchise player that can lead the team to the Cup? Is this really the type of player that fans should cheer for?

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yeah he changed sticks, he went from a CCM to a newer brand called Excuses

Here's the news article on his stick change and how he's not using that as an excuse: https://www.healthing.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-elias-pettersson-knows-he-must-be-better/.

Pettersson admitted Friday that he’d switched to a slightly longer version of the Bauer Vapor HyperLite stick in the off-season. He also opted to make it stiffer. Those are subtle changes which give a shooter more power in their slap shot but they can make for a different puck-handling experience.

3 hours ago, Maddogy said:

So every time the highest paid Canucks forward craps his pants we have to fire the coach? Does this sound like a franchise player that can lead the team to the Cup? Is this really the type of player that fans should cheer for?

Petey is far from the only player not playing well. When so much of the roster is underperforming, it's reasonable to question the coach. Furthermore, a simple eye-test to me shows that Petey isn't slacking. Finally, the character I've seen from Petey over the first few years does not match a "Virtanen" kind of guy who would float. He's one of the most competitive guys I've seen on the Canucks.

20 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Is Pettersson going to turn this around or is he Yashin 2.0?

That is a question that will have huge ramifications for the Canucks going forward.

Does anyone know what is going on with him to make him so below his first 2 years performance 15 games into this season?

Covid, no training camp or pre season, wrist injury

On 11/5/2021 at 10:53 PM, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I dunno. 

He certainly does look lost, but worse yet, is that has he checked out of Green and the coaching staff? 

I was listening to the post-game show on Sportsnet, and this one caller pointed out that when King was trying to draw up a play on the pp, Pettersson left the huddle shaking his head. And then Miller. What's going on here? We are now into November, it's a month almost into the new season, and Petey's what? Still behind? By the time he gets up to speed, it might be over for the team. 

I mean, we hope he's not that kind of player that gets paid, and then quits trying. If he is, then Thank God it's only three years. He can become someone else's problem. 

I am beginning to wonder if Pettersson and Boeser both have lingering Covid.

would the Canucks even check?

Sutter played 10 games after Covid last year, then comes down with Long Haul in the Summer.

I would make sense that other players have effects also

3 hours ago, lmm said:

I am beginning to wonder if Pettersson and Boeser both have lingering Covid.

would the Canucks even check?

Sutter played 10 games after Covid last year, then comes down with Long Haul in the Summer.

I would make sense that other players have effects also

Oh man, that could explain their poor play. Maybe they're trying to fight through it? 

But if they have lingering covid, they shouldn't be playing. Risk spreading that to the rest of the team and have another year like last year where they also dealt with it? 

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Pettersson played better in the Anaheim game... didn't accomplish a whole lot, but he was trying hard.

This will be the worse that Petey becomes. I'm looking forward to vintage Pettersson getting back. 

At least he's trying right? He probably feels really bad if Green gets canned. 

Surprised that there are no rumors considering tonight's loss. 

Quiet before the storm? 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Oh man, that could explain their poor play. Maybe they're trying to fight through it? 

But if they have lingering covid, they shouldn't be playing. Risk spreading that to the rest of the team and have another year like last year where they also dealt with it? 

You cannot spread Long Covid. Long Covid is the damage done while you had it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I wondered about this when the team first got sick. 

Not Petey and Brock specifically, but the study below says 27-33% of cases become long haul

Studies show long-haul COVID-19 afflicts 1 in 4 COVID-19 patients, regardless of severity (ucdavis.edu)

the numbers suggest that about 5-7 Canucks could get Long Haul - Sutter is one

It would not surprise me if Sutter's career is over, if he just never makes it back to playing strength.

I wonder what the Canucks did in the way of testing and long term care ?

Sutter signed when he was still sick

Hamonic signed while being unvaxed

Arizona players + Podkolzin seem steadier than many of the players who went through covid with the Canucks

I don't think re-infection is an issue, as the infectious period is before symtoms

I doubt Sutter is a risk to others, but I am no expert.

I watched the beginning of the exit interview with Sutter, he only talked abut shoulder injury

Edited by lmm