The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/04/20/2018-nhl-draft-consolidated-industry-rankings-for-april-2018/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

april-draft-tiers.png

Once again, Rasmus Dahlin is in a tier of his own. Svechnikov and Zadina are now is a second group of their own as well, instead of being lumped together with the likes of Tkachuk or Boqvist.

The most noticeable drop off begins after ninth (Noah Dobson), and a second substantial drop off occurs after 18th (Grigori Denisenko). After that point, you’re getting into the list of controversial players who could go anywhere from the early teens to right out of the first round.

Hopefully this comfort's folks that we're getting a good prospect whether we pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th.

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Bouchard has some of the highest marks at the combine in skating backwards. Skating can be refined and he is considered mobile in all directions. 

His straight ahead skating needs work, but he has the skating resume to be one of the better defenders at playing defense in this draft. 

If he is the third fastest skater at the combine skating backwards, he should be able to improve skating forwards. 

His best offensive skill

Is his pass. The puck moves faster than the man.  

I agree - I'm no expert and even if I was doesn't mean much based on how drastically different all of their opinions are as well but right now based off overall game and what I see for NHL translation I just like Dobson over Bouchard right now.

Im at the point with this draft where I'm in awe of the level of talent in it. I really wish we had multiple picks, NYI are lucky 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I said he was second in backwards skating “without a puck”. With a puck not so good. With a pick ty Smith was second. Sure it includes forwards no one expects forwards to be good backwards skaters. I bet mcdavid wouldn’t even be in the top half of the league in backwards skating. 

Again that combine only includes CHL players asked to come to the prospects game. We will see how that fairs up when the rest of the world joins in. Right now it doesn’t mean a whole lot. 

Bouchard is already pretty filled out at 195lbs, which makes me think he can probably improve his skating from the current level easier than someone who needs to add 20 lbs.

Other than "skating" there isnt too many other weaknesses in his game. 

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Bouchard is already pretty filled out at 195lbs, which makes me think he can probably improve his skating from the current level easier than someone who needs to add 20 lbs. 

I don’t think that makes too much of a difference to be honest. It’s not like since guddy is fully developed he could just work on his skating and then keep up with a Morgan Reilly.  Will Bouchards skating improve. It should, but if your expecting him to be a real mobile guy you likely have your hopes to high. Skating really comes down to athleticism and body type. 

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don’t think that makes too much of a difference to be honest. It’s not like since guddy is fully developed he could just work on his skating and then keep up with a Morgan Reilly.  Will Bouchards skating improve. It should, but if your expecting him to be a real mobile guy you likely have your hopes to high. Skating really comes down to athleticism and body type. 

Absolutely, athleticism is the key.  If the kid was only third in the quickness testing for the CHL guys, then I'm off him.  

The more I read in this thread, the harder I find it to chose, whom we should draft... 

However one thing I am fairly sure about though is that, whomever JB choses we are going to get a decent player. Quite amazing how deep this draft is.

If JB nails this one as well, I think we may just have all the tools needed going forward.

Glad I don't have to make the pick....

38 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Gudbranson is a pretty fast skater actually, he was flying at the skills contest for the Canucks. I believe he came second after Jake, i was pretty surprised. Not sure how agile he is though.  

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Gudbranson is a pretty fast skater actually, he was flying at the skills contest for the Canucks. I believe he came second after Jake, i was pretty surprised. Not sure how agile he is though.  

It's never easy to change the direction of that much mass. Ovechkin is something of a miracle in that regard. That guy defies the laws of physics.

For his size and what he is (2nd pair D), Gudbranson is a very good skater. That said, NHL'ers can always continue to work on and improve aspects of their games and improving his agility certainly wouldn't hurt EG.

17 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

See here’s the misconception straightline skating doesn’t bring much value to being a mobile player. Pedan was the fastest skater last year yet we all saw how slow he was in game. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

See here’s the misconception straightline skating doesn’t bring much value to being a mobile player. Pedan was the fastest skater last year yet we all saw how slow he was in game. 

Maybe just that hybrid icing rule... other than that yeah not much. 

8 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Bouchard had 4 points at this year’s prospects game:wacko:.  I don’t understand where this poor skating business is coming from other than cdc. Remember the knocks on Horvat and Boeser were that they were poor skaters, look how that has turned out. I’d bet that Bouchard does not make it out of the top 3, let alone top 5. There is no way that 4 teams pass on him. After Dahlin, he’s the BPA hands down.

I repeat again

The same fools who keep saying "Bouchards skating is an issue and not everyone is Horvat and can fix it"

Are the EXACT same people that claim Boqvist and Hughes and Smith can/will grow in to their frames and be the perfect NHL size

I'd pay them little mind

I'm going into the draft lottery basically expecting the worst, so I'm doing a bit of research here of guys potentially available at 9.  

I wonder/wouldn't be surprised if Joel Farabee is a guy some teams could have a bit higher than where he's currently being ranked. (12-15 range). He's smart, talented, fast & a captain. Pretty good upside there.

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm going into the draft lottery basically expecting the worst, so I'm doing a bit of reach here guys of potentially available at 9.  

I wonder//wouldn't be surprised if Joel Farabee is a guy some teams could have a bit higher than where he's currently being ranked. (12-15 range). He's smart, talented, fast & a captain. Pretty good upside there.

Farabee has got that Kyle Connor vibe to him. 

21 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Considering the intangibles he possesses such as intensity, character, and leadership, those could well propel him up JB's list.  The production is there, the defence is there, so the question is, why is he consistently ranked behind similar-statured dmen in Hughes and Boqvist?

Offensively, he is not as dynamic as Hughes or boqvist. 

20 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Bouchard had 4 points at this year’s prospects game:wacko:.  I don’t understand where this poor skating business is coming from other than cdc. Remember the knocks on Horvat and Boeser were that they were poor skaters, look how that has turned out. I’d bet that Bouchard does not make it out of the top 3, let alone top 5. There is no way that 4 teams pass on him. After Dahlin, he’s the BPA hands down.

First off, svech and zadina say hi. No one has Bouchard as the second best prospect in this draft except a few fans of his. 

Second, his skating is an issue. It reminds me of Seabrook back when he played for Lethbridge and it might limit him to being a second pairing guy at the next lvl until he fixes it and that is even if he can.

However, one thing he has got going for him is his work ethic. The kid did finish fifth overall in the off ice testing at the top prospects game, so it shows he does have good habits and that might be enough to propel him into the elite.

Archived