The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Hornqvist is a 3rd liner 50 point player. B)

Realistically I don't see Lind getting to that point but who knows, maybe he can. I can see him being a good 15 goal 30-35 point 3rd liner. Never know with these lads. 

I can see why you feel that way but here's my current line of thinking.  Kole Lind very much reminds me of Jannik Hansen (from what I've seen)

I think Hansen would have had quite a bit better stats if he could just finish plays.  No way Lind has that same superhuman ability to hit the post. Right?

41 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I can see why you feel that way but here's my current line of thinking.  Kole Lind very much reminds me of Jannik Hansen (from what I've seen)

I think Hansen would have had quite a bit better stats if he could just finish plays.  No way Lind has that same superhuman ability to hit the post. Right?

Really? I've watched Lind a lot. I don't see the Hanson comparable. He reminds me of Higgins. Hopefully the scoring Higgins who played for the Habs. Lol. 

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Really? I've watched Lind a lot. I don't see the Hanson comparable. He reminds me of Higgins. Hopefully the scoring Higgins who played for the Habs. Lol. 

I could see that.  I'm not saying that Lind is a straight up Hansen clone but I do see that same kind of drive.  Habs scoring Higgins is actually a pretty good comparison. I might have to steal it haha

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I could see that.  I'm not saying that Lind is a straight up Hansen clone but I do see that same kind of drive.  Habs scoring Higgins is actually a pretty good comparison. I might have to steal it haha

From what I've heard Lind is a bit more of a playmaker though. Higgins was more sniper/ puck hound from what I remember.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d say maybe Lockwood and Jašek are our best candidates right now for the next Hansen.

Sid, you do a great job keeping up to speed (so to speak) with the prospects. And I am impressed that you managed to insert the caron above the s in Jasek's name. (I had to look it up.) But, realistically, if either Lockwood of Jasek becomes like Hansen we should be doing cartwheels. Both guys are longshots to ever become NHL regulars and a career like Hansen's is a huge longshot.

However, I understand that you are referring to style of play, not necessarily quality of play.

For me Hansen's main characteristics were i) excellent speed  ii) contributed to the physical game with lots of hits and had decent size iii) excellent defensive play including PK and shutdown and iv) significant secondary scoring. Plus, he always had a positive attitude and played hard with a high energy game.

I am not sure anyone in the Canuck system has this profile or is likely to be able to translate it to the NHL, although you obviously know the prospects better than I do. 

I agree that Lind is not a good match. He would have to improve his defensive play and boost his intensity to be like Hansen and, although he is a good skater he is not like Hansen (at least not yet).

As for Lockwood, here is a statement from a scouting report on Lockwood: " Lockwood brings terrific speed, tenancity and underrated offensive ability to the table and that jack-of-all-trades ability will work favourably wherever the coaching staff fits him into the lineup --. Cam Robinson"

That sounds like Hansen, but Lockwood is smaller and with the injuries he has had already in his career I have doubts about whether he can play an effective physical game at the NHL level.

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

However, I understand that you are referring to style of play, not necessarily quality of play.

Exactly. And the main point was to identify a couple of our prospects who were more Hansen-like than Lind.

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I am not sure anyone in the Canuck system has this profile or is likely to be able to translate it to the NHL, although you obviously know the prospects better than I do. 

I agree. Both Jašek and Lockwood remain longshots. It’s definitely premature to project them having careers like Hansen’s. The cold statistician in me knows that the odds are far greater than neither of them becomes an NHL regular. However, I definitely wouldn’t count either of them out.

After all, when Hansen was the same age as these kids, pretty much nobody expected he’d eventually develop into a Jannik Hansen level player. ;) 

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

And I am impressed that you managed to insert the caron above the s in Jasek's name. (I had to look it up.)

:lol: 

Just a habit I have. I try to write every player’s name with the proper letters and diacritics. So I usually write Jašek, Dahlén, Ābols, Hållander, etc. At least when it comes to player names using a Latin alphabet. You won’t see me writing Никита Трямкин too often.

Thankfully, the device I usually post with on CDC remembers how to spell most of these names and just autofills them. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2018-03-30 at 11:32 PM, The Big Luongo said:

I agree and what really surprised and stood out for me is his great vision and passing. This kid will surprise and impress a lot of fans with some Grade A passes he's very good at making spotting all our great young players who have wicked shots. This kid has a real knack at finding his fellow teammates in wide open shooting areas even through heavy traffic I was extremely impressed!

Another thing to keep in mind is that Lind is very physical and is a real pain in the ass to play against but in the prospects game type situation he's obviously going to hold back on that type of intense style of play but there will be no holds barred when he gets comfortable at the AHL then NHL level.

I expect great things in the future from Lind and am just as excited about him as any of our other highly regarded prospects because of the fact that he brings tonnes of intensity, physicality, can really produce offense and will be very hard on other team's top forwards some very very important things that tend to get overlooked too often but imo go a long long way to win hockey games especially big playoff style games or just intense close games that happen quite often these days.

Players like Lind, Virtanen, Gadjovich, MacEwen, Lockwood, Guance and Gudbranson will really grind down the opposition and open up the ice for all our numerous basically skill only forwards and will really let them excell at their game, get them more emotionally involved and be protecters.

Really well written! I agree he has a great vision for the game. Your right about his playmaking ability but what I like is that teams won't be able to over defend the sniper on the line because Lind can still burn goalies with his shot. Your right too about the intangibles Kole possesses, if you watch his last interview on the Rockets website the reporter asked him if Tri City was getting under there skin and he just had this big grin on his face saying he likes to do the exact same and definitely a pain on the ass to play against. I also like his you can't stop me attitude. I pretty much went to every Rockets game this year and he impressed me almost every night. There is a reason scouts watch games instead of looking at box scores. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2018 at 5:35 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

If its as reported?  Then it is NHL GM's and scouts responsible for this rating. And an aggregate, so its not one guys opinion.   

Who in theory look past games played & points scored. Compare the skills, traits of speed and agility, etc.  There are WHL guys every year with big numbers who don't translate. He was also, albeit coming off mono, bypassed for the WJC team. 

The WJC's where, BTW, Mittelstadt might have played his way into a top 4 rating?       

But you watch Lind a lot in the valley. Is he a physical handful for an NHL calibre prospect like, say, Cal Foote?  Or just the 17 year olds.  Its an honest question BTW.  Because I was taken aback by that rating as well. Just don't get to see everyday...

Sorry for the ridiculously long delay in responding CS

Lind is capable of handling the push back from larger players.  he's an average size played now and possibly on the slighter side for NHL play.  While the WHL has some bruisingly large defencemen.  I have little fear of him succeeding.  He's very Patrick Sharp-esque as it was.  Comparably in play and size.  Lind is around 180 pounds + sharp played at about 190 for quite a long time.

My issue with that "draft" or "redraft" is my same issue with ranking players during a draft based on tournament play vs regular season.  It is far easier to elevate your play when you're playing with the best the world has to offer.  Over what 3-5-7 games?  But can you do it on a 2nd or 3rd line with players that will never even sniff the ECHL over 60+ games?

So many people rank players higher based on less than 10 game tournaments when their actual body of work doesn't necessarily dictate a deserved rise in the rankings.  As was evident on that list.  Quite a few players rose that imo didn't deserve to and the only indicator I see is tournament play

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Utica could be very deep.  I'm excited to see the post season. I'm just not sure how they add so many more bodies.  Time shall tell!

haha easy, they have a ton of injuries and guys on PTO's. Just release guys from their ptos and let the young talent in

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha easy, they have a ton of injuries and guys on PTO's. Just release guys from their ptos and let the young talent in

I saw on Twitter they released three guys from try outs yesterday.  

21 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I saw on Twitter they released three guys from try outs yesterday.  

All three were brought in for just the game in Springfield yesterday from nearby Worcester. One a goaltender to back up Bachman. A forward because MacEwen was injured on Friday and a defenseman because Wierchioch was injured on Friday.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunate that the Rockets couldn't win a round, but there's always 3-4 dominant teams in each of the CHL's three divisions every year. It sounds like Lind was the emotional center of the team on the ice, which is a great sign. 

Regarding comparisons, I think Versteeg is actually a pretty good one; a middle-6 winger who can put up points. Not necessarily a game breaker, but capable of providing a good amount of scoring in a secondary role. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Unfortunate that the Rockets couldn't win a round, but there's always 3-4 dominant teams in each of the CHL's three divisions every year. It sounds like Lind was the emotional center of the team on the ice, which is a great sign. 

Regarding comparisons, I think Versteeg is actually a pretty good one; a middle-6 winger who can put up points. Not necessarily a game breaker, but capable of providing a good amount of scoring in a secondary role. 

Goaltending was a big problem for The Rockets unfortunately.

7 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Reports of Lind being in Utica last Friday must have been someone seeing "the new guy" Jasek and thought it was Lind.  Good news as the Comets depleted roster could use him.

Thanks for update as Kelowna was knocked out of playoffs Thursday night..

Going to be exciting, I think Utica has 6 more games before the playoffs... 

Utica will get Lind now and Boucher, Motte, Goldobin, Sautner, soon,  Maybe before playoffs add,  Juolevi, Gadjovich, Dahlen could come