The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

So true. That Finland team was STACKED.

Laine, Puljujarvi, Juolevi, Aho and I think there was one more player who graduated after that year that was a big contributor.

Very exciting though that our first four draft picks this year are all WJC invites.

Laine - Aho - Puljujaarvi

Kapanen - Natinen - Rantanen

At least I would assume Natinen was the 2nd line center. 

54 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Laine - Aho - Puljujaarvi

Kapanen - Natinen - Rantanen

At least I would assume Natinen was the 2nd line center. 

Rantanen was the player I was thinking of, thanks! Is that Kapanen the same Maple Leafs prospect who frequents the Tanev trade proposals?

56 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Rantanen was the player I was thinking of, thanks! Is that Kapanen the same Maple Leafs prospect who frequents the Tanev trade proposals?

Yeah Kapanen was on the Marlies in the Leafs organization last year. 

I think out of all of the picks we chose in June, this one intrigues me the most. I don't know, I just get this feeling he's going to be something so much more. He seems to have the mentality of Boeser, the grit you'd want out of a power forward and he has a scoring touch?..... I know it's early but man, that's a lot going for just 1 person.

Why didn't this guy get picked sooner? lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think out of all of the picks we chose in June, this one intrigues me the most. I don't know, I just get this feeling he's going to be something so much more. He seems to have the mentality of Boeser, the grit you'd want out of a power forward and he has a scoring touch?..... I know it's early but man, that's a lot going for just 1 person.

Agreed, and some skating work? We might have a smart Lucic 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Agreed, and some skating work? We might have a smart Lucic 

Indeed. Granted Suzuki and Palmu (whoa Palmu had more points than Suzuki....) arguably inflated his numbers a bit. I don't know what line he was on admittedly, but to me that just shows if he has the right linemates he'll deliver. It's a team sport last I checked so that's great.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It was 41 goals in his last 46 games ....just insane production for anyone....don't know how he fell out of the 1st round given that his skating has improved this season and he seems to be on the track to improve it at an accelerated pace now that he has been drafted.

From HF:

"Another goal (and assist) tonight. After a slow start he's posted 41 goals in his past 46 games. Simply absurd production."

He never fell out of the first round, most scouts had him in the late second early 3rd round. There is a lot of talk about consistency in his game, for example last season. 11 points in first 20 games, then 63 points in last 40. Only to follow up with 7 in 17 playoff games. That coupled with skating questions is why he was a 2nd rounder. Hopefully he turns out to be a gem

Edited by Sedinery33

19 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Indeed. Granted Suzuki and Palmu (whoa Palmu had more points than Suzuki....) arguably inflated his numbers a bit. I don't know what line he was on admittedly, but to me that just shows if he has the right linemates he'll deliver. It's a team sport last I checked so that's great.

I think this is why he didn't go in the first round. He wasn't the 'play driver' on that line. Still, he has the potential to be a great complimentary winger for a skilled centre by providing some sandpaper, finishing, and net drive.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I fully agree. Gadjovich, of all our picks interests me the most. He has all you have mentioned which is a lot going for a late second rounder, and best of all, he has the compete and drive that enabled players like Burrows to reach their full potential. What I like most about Gadjovich is that, we need a player like him to complement our team.  Could see him be a difference maker in the games that matter most (like the playoffs).

He  could definitely improve on his skating. I think this is the main reason he dropped. But like I said, I am confident he will work hard and diligently on his skating and anything else he has to. He will do whatever it takes.

It's great that something good came from the Torts fiasco (Gadjovich) A lot of people (incl myself) suggested trading this pick a while back. Glad we didn't. I think Gadj is built for the NHL and will become a good player, maybe a fan favourite.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I love this pick but he wasn't a first rounder because his skating isn't at a pro level yet. If he improves his acceleration he will be a steal in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I know that his skating was a knock against him in the draft, but in the videos from development camp Gadjovich's skating looked powerful just not efficient. With some work with a good skating coach I wouldn't be surprised if he starts flying.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I know that his skating was a knock against him in the draft, but in the videos from development camp Gadjovich's skating looked powerful just not efficient. With some work with a good skating coach I wouldn't be surprised if he starts flying.

Yeah, I think he just needs to smooth out some rough edges on his technique. He might also benefit from some targeted time in the gym to add more power to his legs.

4 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

He never fell out of the first round, most scouts had him in the late second early 3rd round. There is a lot of talk about consistency in his game, for example last season. 11 points in first 20 games, then 63 points in last 40. Only to follow up with 7 in 17 playoff games. That coupled with skating questions is why he was a 2nd rounder. Hopefully he turns out to be a gem

...7 in 17 is the only ?...hope there was a reason for that....63 in his last 40 games should have gotten some attention before pick 55 even with choppy skating.

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

7 in 17 is the only ?...hope there was a reason for that.

OHL website has him with 8 points in 17 playoff games. But still quite a drop in production from how he finished the season. Puck luck looks to have been part of it. Gadjovich had 74 shots through the playoffs (2nd most on Owen Sound), and only 5 goals (or 4 goals according to Elite Prospects).