The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

0.77 goals per game lead all CHL draft eligibles, and was only behind DeBrincat for u19 players.

4.58 shots per game was third in the OHL for u19, and better than all u19 players in the QMJHL (WHL doesn't see the need to track shots...)

His primary points per game of 1.0 was better than Vilardi, M McLeod, C. Pu, L. Brown, Z. Senyshyn, A. Cirelli, M. Stephens, J. Gauthier, P.L. Dubois, C. Glass, R. Gropp, N. Patrick, and M. Rasmussen just to name a few.

GF% was 69.15 due to their team being awesome, but relative to him being on the ice his GF%Rel was 7.57. It's not a perfect stat for play driving, but that's pretty good too.

Recent Draft eligible skaters to score 45+ goals in the CHL:

Crosby

Tavares

Stamkos

McDavid

P. Kane

DeBrincat

Skinner

Yakupov

Seguin

Ehlers

Fabbri

Hall

Suzuki

Strome

E. Kane

Brett Maclean

Seth griffith

Petan

Mantha

Virtanen

It's not easy to score that much. Obviously there are few players who scored 40 or so that didn't work out, but there are few if any busts who score 45+ in their draft years from recent times. At worst he's probably an elite AHL scorer, on average probably Chris Stewart, David Legwand, Lucic or Nick Foligno, at the top Jeff Carter, or even Dave Andreychuk, although, the goaltending in his era was sooo bad. Just watch:

Lol, feel bad for goalies back then. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

How did this guy last so long in the draft? Is his skating that bad? Seems like robbery at 55th.

Seems like this guy is a really hard worker and is completely aware of the level of his skating ability. I can honestly see him being one of those top powerforwards in the future that make everybody scratch their heads and wonder how he wasn't picked earlier. 

1 minute ago, suitup said:

Seems like this guy is a really hard worker and is completely aware of the level of his skating ability. I can honestly see him being one of those top powerforwards in the future that make everybody scratch their heads and wonder how he wasn't picked earlier. 

Yeah I really don't get it. 45 goals, big and mean, great attitude, lives in the dirty areas. Blows my mind. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah I really don't get it. 45 goals, big and mean, great attitude, lives in the dirty areas. Blows my mind. 

My guess would be concerns over his skating, whether he's playing well because of his size, and whether his numbers are inflated with Suzuki and Palmu. I really think we have the next PWF here. Could've easily gone late first round, let alone late second. You wanna talk about character guy who can make a difference in the playoffs? Here's a guy with that potential. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

An absolute steal.  Yeah, he needs to play with skilled guys to produce, just like most power forwards.  He'll get that opportunity here.

Massive upside here.  Love the pick.

Good thing we're starting to stock up on them. Love the new skill, speed, and size blend Benning is trying to create. I think we were so skilled in 2011 that people forget we had a great supporting cast with grit and toughness that can play all throughout our lineup too. 

1 minute ago, suitup said:

Good thing we're starting to stock up on them. Love the new skill, speed, and size blend Benning is trying to create. I think we were so skilled in 2011 that people forget we had a great supporting cast with grit and toughness that can play all throughout our lineup too. 

Exactly!  We are getting more than one prospect in every position, which allows Benning to make some trades.  Plus, as the prospects develop, they will compete for those minutes on our team.  

29 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Am I jumping the gun a bit by saying that this kid kind of hits me as Bertuzzi-ish?

I went ahead and compared some of their play earlier today, and I want him to be like that, but right now he's not.

Bert's hands were just soo good. He would have been the least fun player to play against in that era. 

In terms of NHL comparables Lucic isn't that far off, but Jonah's lateral movement is better and has he has better hands than Luc in my opinion. He doesn't have the semi truck body that Luc has, but if he can grow and inch and play at 220+ there is a chance.

Personally I want him to play like Chris Kreider. He needs to get faster to get there, but everything else is pretty close from what I can see. Defections, good shot, hits, fights, gets to the net, decently soft hands.

Not sure how or why he slipped so far but he reminds me of a more offensive Virtanen. We don't have many powerforwards who can score in our prospect pool so Gadjovich goes straight to the top in my books alongside Virtanen. Both of them will be staples in our roster for a while in the bottom-6 but I think one of them will push for top-6 minutes alongside a really skilled playmaker and that might just be Gadjovich if he continues his trend.

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Am I jumping the gun a bit by saying that this kid kind of hits me as Bertuzzi-ish?

Yes, don't think he has the hands of Bertuzzi. He's definitely more in the mold of David Backes, Anders Lee and Patrick Maroon - big guys who score garbage goals. Which is something this team absolutely needs.  

• Upvote 1

I think Gadjovich will end up being more like a rugged version of Burrows instead of Lucic. Can play in the top six through the prime of his career because he goes to the hard areas/front of the net. I could see a future Gadjovich  - Pettersson - Dahlen line. He'll help these players and benefit from these players the same way Burrows did with the Sedins.