The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

I don't know man... I just don't see an NHL'er in Gadjovich as of now TBH. Guy is obviously hard but that's the only element that REALLY stands out to be and he needs more than that to play in the NHL. His skating and skill need work and while the former is definitely possible the latter is harder to improve on. I hope he's not done growing and still has some physical development left in him, though I don't anticipate much since he looks 35 already. 

Essentially I see him as a David Backes lite right now. But like an extreme-lite, if that makes sense, so he'll definitely have a lot to work on to play up to speed in the NHL. 

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Grape said:

I don't know man... I just don't see an NHL'er in Gadjovich as of now TBH. Guy is obviously hard but that's the only element that REALLY stands out to be and he needs more than that to play in the NHL. His skating and skill need work and while the former is definitely possible the latter is harder to improve on. I hope he's not done growing and still has some physical development left in him, though I don't anticipate much since he looks 35 already. 

Essentially I see him as a David Backes lite right now. But like an extreme-lite, if that makes sense, so he'll definitely have a lot to work on to play up to speed in the NHL. 

If he could fill the role Ferlund has for the Flames, we'd be in business. Something this team desperately needs. 

10 hours ago, Grape said:

There are no guarantees, he may or may not be an effective NHL player but there is more than just his toughness that sticks out.  46 goals in 60 games in the OHL jumps off the page at me.  If he can improve his skating he may end up being a really solid NHL player.  We'll see, but he seems to have soft hands as well as the grit factor.  Not a bad combination in my mind.  I'd like to see him make the big team but it's great that we have so much competition for spots, no matter who makes it will have to earn it and we don't have to rush our prospects (and that is so much better than having to plug holes with whoever is available).  GCG!

Just now, nux_win said:

There are no guarantees, he may or may not be an effective NHL player but there is more than just his toughness that sticks out.  46 goals in 60 games in the OHL jumps off the page at me.  If he can improve his skating he may end up being a really solid NHL player.  We'll see, but he seems to have soft hands as well as the grit factor.  Not a bad combination in my mind.  I'd like to see him make the big team but it's great that we have so much competition for spots, no matter who makes it will have to earn it and we don't have to rush our prospects (and that is so much better than having to plug holes with whoever is available).  GCG!

Lucic never really became a great skater, or even a good skater, but he proved to be very effective.  Gadjovic might really surprise at camp and force himself onto the team.  Who else do we have who plays like that in our forwards - Dorset?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lucic never really became a great skater, or even a good skater, but he proved to be very effective.  Gadjovic might really surprise at camp and force himself onto the team.  Who else do we have who plays like that in our forwards - Dorset?

Labate is looking like a tough energy guy, but probably settle in as a 4th liner.  Gaudette and McEneny are shaping up to be guys that will be a pain to play against, which will add to the overall team toughness.  Still, I think JB will have to continue to make the team a 'safe working environment' in the upcoming years.

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lucic had 20lbs on Gadjovic at draft though. Gadjovic is a strong big kid bit he's not in the beast category like Lucic who can overcome his poor skating by just simply overpowering guys. Gadjovic doesn't quite have that size and will see have to become an at least average for the NHL skater to be effective.

Of all the prospects we picked up at draft this one is the most interesting to me. Net front presence that brings toughness and leadership. I wanna know how effective he is defensively. I don't see him on this team this year if he is another Virtanen. Which is doubtful. Virtanen was a great skater, great shooter, and physically ready but not quite mentally there. Gadjovich doesn't seem to be the skater Jake is nor does he have the shot Jake does. Still tough to gage with young physically ready guys. Really interested to see more from him going forward. Skating can be worked on, Bo proved this. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. 

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I looked up Lucic's weight, and he was listed at 204 at the draft.  Gadjovic is 201.  Plus, Gadjovic is better on his edges already than Lucic ever was.  I see this kid making our team this season, just like Lucic did in Boston his first season.

36 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Elite Prospects lists Gadjovich at 6'2" and 201 lbs.

Hockey'sFuture lists Milan Lucic at 6'2" and 204 lbs at his draft.

Milan Lucic, LW 
2nd round, (50th overall), 6’2 204 lbs, Vancouver Giants (WHL)

The Bruins turned a few heads when they drafted bruising power forward Milan Lucic in the second round. At 6’2 204 lbs

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/8930/bruins2006_draft_review/#3VBUgO6kBS4iomk7.99

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=252476

I stand corrected. Figured I should have looked it up before I spouted off but Lucic just seemed so big even when he first came into the league. Lucic is what 230lbs now? Not sure if Gadjovic has the frame to be that big but any sort of skilled power forward on this team would fit in well with all of our smallish skilled wingers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I stand corrected. Figured I should have looked it up before I spouted off but Lucic just seemed so big even when he first came into the league. Lucic is what 230lbs now? Not sure if Gadjovic has the frame to be that big but any sort of skilled power forward on this team would fit in well with all of our smallish skilled wingers.

To be fair, it was 12 years ago so it would be difficult to remember the size of players that far back. I would have guessed Lucic was bigger at that time but perhaps the players were generally a little smaller back then and made him look a little larger?

I really like where we picked up Gadjovich but only time will tell us if he will have the same impact in the NHL that Lucic has had. Based on his Junior production numbers, he really seems to be a notch above Lucic from an offensive perspective. Lucic only had 9 goals in 62 games in his draft year

11 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

To be fair, it was 12 years ago so it would be difficult to remember the size of players that far back. I would have guessed Lucic was bigger at that time but perhaps the players were generally a little smaller back then and made him look a little larger?

I really like where we picked up Gadjovich but only time will tell us if he will have the same impact in the NHL that Lucic has had. Based on his Junior production numbers, he really seems to be a notch above Lucic from an offensive perspective. Lucic only had 9 goals in 62 games in his draft year

Sounds like Gadjovich will be about 5 times as productive as Lucic. I could live with that.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Also to be fair and to even out the discussion a touch, Lucic was drafted a little younger. A more apt comparison would be Lucic's draft +1 year.

So if Gadjovich only turned out 15% better than Lucic rather than 500%, I could still live with that.

On 7/18/2017 at 10:00 AM, Alflives said:

I looked up Lucic's weight, and he was listed at 204 at the draft.  Gadjovic is 201.  Plus, Gadjovic is better on his edges already than Lucic ever was.  I see this kid making our team this season, just like Lucic did in Boston his first season.

Lucic didn't play in Boston until his draft +2 year. He played one full season in the WHL after getting drafted, just like Jonah will - he's not making the team this season. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Lucic didn't play in Boston until his draft +2 year. He played one full season in the WHL after getting drafted, just like Jonah will - he's not making the team this season. 

Jonah is superior to Milan, so he will play; "you know he will play".

i stand corrected:)

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Jonah is superior to Milan, so he will play; "you know he will play".

i stand corrected:)

As much as I dislike Gooncic and his attitude, he's a good player. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Jonah ever scored 60+ pts in the NHL while being a big physical presence. Maybe my expectations are low of him, but I'd be happy if he ended being a Ferkland type player for us. 

• Upvote 1

On 2017-07-18 at 2:00 PM, Alflives said:

If anything Gadjovich is a Matt Tkachuk style player with less of a smirk and more toughness. He is his most effective twenty feet from the net in. 

Skating can be improved. Horvat can give Gadjovich his skating coachs number.