The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

I like this kid.  ;)

He shows good hockey smarts... positions himself well, doesn't seem to fall behind the play despite being slightly on the slow side.

Makes nice passes in the O-Zone, and also seems to be able to get into position to take a pass.

Likes to hit, makes his line changes snappy.

Weakness...  critical first couple steps on his breakout or onto loose pucks are slow... same problem as Horvat had in Junior... if he can build up some explosive strength in his legs he'll be fine.

• Upvote 3

This is a legit question from someone who hasnt played the game. Can you teach someone to skate? I mean creating this explosive speed we are discussing? I know Horvat has improved and looks awesome on the ice. Is he an exception to the rule or can it be learned from dedication and hard work?

It seems to me it would be a skill that could be improved with hard work as opposed to reading the game which you either have or do not!

If it can be learned then Gadjovich looks like a handy pick. 

I did notice he fought the puck a few times in transition which I am sure the Canucks staff will have noticed. Its that first touch which is crucial, it allows the player to get into stride faster. If you watch McDavid his first touch at speed is amazing and his head is up, which allows him to get into position to make any play.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

This is a legit question from someone who hasnt played the game. Can you teach someone to skate? I mean creating this explosive speed we are discussing? I know Horvat has improved and looks awesome on the ice. Is he an exception to the rule or can it be learned from dedication and hard work?

It seems to me it would be a skill that could be improved with hard work as opposed to reading the game which you either have or do not!

If it can be learned then Gadjovich looks like a handy pick. 

I did notice he fought the puck a few times in transition which I am sure the Canucks staff will have noticed. Its that first touch which is crucial, it allows the player to get into stride faster. If you watch McDavid his first touch at speed is amazing and his head is up, which allows him to get into position to make any play.

Depends on skating style tbh. Bo had really wide strides back in the day but refined his technique which helped his speed. Another example from this years draft was matthew strome who is slow but again has wide strides. It seems that Jonah's skating is different from theirs but it still can improve

13 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Gadget

Makes me think of Gaudette. They could potentially make one hell of a 3rd line pairing...

Gadjovich, Gaudette, ??? (Lind, Lockwood etc)

^^^ that would not be fun to play against.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Makes me think of Gaudette. They could potentially make one hell of a 3rd line pairing...

Gadjovich, Gaudette, ??? (Lind, Lockwood etc)

^^^ that would not be fun to play against.

I feel like if Virtanen doesn't pan out as we hope, having all of them play that line would make for a very punishing line.

13 minutes ago, hyper00 said:

I feel like if Virtanen doesn't pan out as we hope, having all of them play that line would make for a very punishing line.

I still think Virt will be fine personally. But hopefully, if he doesn't turn out as hoped, Gadjovich does and we'll have one of them on each of our two middle 6 lines. 

Sign Kane next year and you've potentially got some nice size on all four future lines ::D

Kane, Pettersson, Boeser 

Dahlen, Horvat, Virtanen

Gadjovich, Gaudette, ???

MacEwen.....

• Upvote 1