The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

On 05/03/2018 at 3:32 PM, komodo0921 said:

I'm really hoping Gadjovich can refine his defensive game to pro level.

I see him as a perfect compliment to Boeser.

Where Brock and Bo are snipers, Jonah excels at screening and cleaning up garbage.

He is also a willing combatant when necessary.

A line of Gadjovich, Horvat, and Boeser could be a dominant force in the league.

I have a question fro you and the rest of cdc that I've asked others with mixed results. I feel this is relevant in the gadjovich thread.

In the case of a tip, does the player who tipped the shot get credited for a SOG or does the player that released the shot get credited for the SOG? 

Common sense tells the player that tipped it but I've been told otherwise.

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I have a question fro you and the rest of cdc that I've asked others with mixed results. I feel this is relevant in the gadjovich thread.

In the case of a tip, does the player who tipped the shot get credited for a SOG or does the player that released the shot get credited for the SOG? 

I would say the player that tipped the puck gets credit for a shot on goal as you cannot score a goal without a shot. If the tip goes in you couldn't have two shots on the same play.

NHL.com defines a shot as:

Shot on Goal
If a player shoots the puck with the intention of scoring and if that shot would have gone in the net had the goaltender not stopped it, the shot is recorded as a "shot on goal".

I don't think you could definitely say a shot was going on goal before the tip so I am sticking with giving the "tipper" with the SOG.

Wikipedia defines a shot, in part, as :

A shot on goal is any touch of the puck towards the net that if not for the goal tender interviening would result in a goal.

Edited by Rick Blight

29 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I would say the player that tipped the puck gets credit for a shot on goal as you cannot score a goal without a shot. If the tip goes in you couldn't have two shots on the same play.

NHL.com defines a shot as:

Shot on Goal
If a player shoots the puck with the intention of scoring and if that shot would have gone in the net had the goaltender not stopped it, the shot is recorded as a "shot on goal".

I don't think you could definitely say a shot was going on goal before the tip so I am sticking with giving the "tipper" with the SOG.

Wikipedia defines a shot, in part, as :

A shot on goal is any touch of the puck towards the net that if not for the goal tender interviening would result in a goal.

Yeah alot of that was my exact thinking. Like how can you score without a SOG. But I asked a friend who was a minor league ref at the time and he seemed to side with the player who released the shot. 

Not saying that he knows what he's talking about haha.

17 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

The player who originally shot it gets credited for a shot attempt, while the player that tipped it gets credit for the shot

• Upvote 1

On 2018-03-11 at 3:14 PM, 73 Percent said:

That's correct. 

The last player on the scoring team to touch the puck gets credit fo the shot.

Even in the case of an own goal, even though no player on the scoring team actually shot the puck.

Edited by komodo0921

On 3/11/2018 at 6:56 PM, 73 Percent said:

Yeah alot of that was my exact thinking. Like how can you score without a SOG. But I asked a friend who was a minor league ref at the time and he seemed to side with the player who released the shot. 

Not saying that he knows what he's talking about haha.

What happens if someone shoots the puck and deflects off a leg of a teammate that isn't even looking at the net?  He will get credited with the goal, but is that a shot on goal?  Shouldn't it be recorded the same way as a tipped shot?

I also disagree with hitting the post not being recorded as a shot on goal.  If you take it literally...it is a shot on goal, you actually hit a part of the goal...and should be recorded as a save too for the goalie as you could argue that the goalie was in perfect position and if the shot had been an inch inside he would have made the save.   Anyways, I don't think many will agree with me on this one.

Edited by timberz21

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

What happens if someone shoots the puck and deflects off a leg of a teammate that isn't even looking at the net?  He will get credited with the goal, but is that a shot on goal?  Shouldn't it be recorded the same way as a tipped shot?

I also disagree with hitting the post not being recorded as a shot on goal.  If you take it literally...it is a shot on goal, you actually hit a part of the goal...and should be recorded as a save too for the goalie as you could argue that the goalie was in perfect position and if the shot had been an inch inside he would have made the save.   Anyways, I don't think many will agree with me on this one.

A shot that hits the post or crossbar is not a shot on goal.

Give this a read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_on_goal_(ice_hockey)

Edited by thundernuts

4 hours ago, thundernuts said:

A shot that hits the post or crossbar is not a shot on goal.

Give this a read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_on_goal_(ice_hockey)

Hence, why I said  "I also disagree with hitting the post not being recorded as a shot on goal"

I know it's not...but in my opinion it should be.  Also why I said many won't agree with me too...

23 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Hence, why I said  "I also disagree with hitting the post not being recorded as a shot on goal"

I know it's not...but in my opinion it should be.  Also why I said many won't agree with me too...

Ah.  Sorry, I misunderstood you there.  You're right.  Many won't agree with you, but the ones that do are probably goalies!

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Gadjovichian, I like it. Should he be scoring more considering the number of shots he's putting on net?

I honestly don’t know. Would need to have access to a bunch of OHL shots data to give a really good answer. But he’s over 10% shooting percentage anyway. I do think his high shots numbers speak to his ability to get position to tip shots and bang at rebounds. 

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jonah Gadjovich has been named the OHL’s Western Conference Hardest Working Player in coaches poll and third most dangerous player in goal area.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ohl-announces-2017-18-coaches-poll-winners

Well, that would be good to translate to NHL for Canucks as there have been a few Canucks this year in top three (likely) in the "most dangerous player in goal area" too but, unfortunately, I think it was the Canuck goal area in each case.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I honestly don’t know. Would need to have access to a bunch of OHL shots data to give a really good answer. But he’s over 10% shooting percentage anyway. I do think his high shots numbers speak to his ability to get position to tip shots and bang at rebounds. 

I think you're likely to get more shots on goal and have a higher shooting percentage too when you are willing to stand with your toes in the blue paint like Gadj does.