The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

On 2018-04-07 at 6:55 AM, N7Nucks said:

Playoff stats are kinda concerning. Is he being deployed differently in the playoffs? As a last year guy you’d think he’d be doing a bit better offensively but maybe he’s being used similarly to how Team Canada used him. Defensively sound physical presence. 

Couple things I picked up from the grapevine today. Word is that Gadjovich has been playing through a back injury. Which would explain a fair amount, given the physical requirements of his style of game and what he needs to do to score his kinds of goals.

Also, apparently he either aggravated the issue or picked up a separate injury tonight:

Even with the lack of production, what I’m hearing consistently is that he’s been solid defensively through the playoffs.

He’s also provides plenty of good screens on OS’s goals (including one tonight), so he’s contributing.

I think he’s banged up if not outright injured (especially after tonight as he left the game and didn’t return).

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Couple things I picked up from the grapevine today. Word is that Gadjovich has been playing through a back injury. Which would explain a fair amount, given the physical requirements of his style of game and what he needs to do to score his kinds of goals.

Also, apparently he either aggravated the issue or picked up a separate injury tonight:

Even with the lack of production, what I’m hearing consistently is that he’s been solid defensively through the playoffs.

He’s also provides plenty of good screens on OS’s goals (including one tonight), so he’s contributing.

I think he’s banged up if not outright injured (especially after tonight as he left the game and didn’t return).

Yeah it does sound like he is defensively very good still. Injury is not good though. Hopefully it's not too serious. I really like him as a dark horse player for next year.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:33 PM, The 5th Line said:

Looking at his playoff stats from last year, they are way under his regular season average as well.  Teams must match his line hard and play him much tougher down low.  He's also not known for his skating so maybe playoff speed is causing him some difficulties.  

Scoring stats, yes, but he is still getting lots of shots so perhaps he just pissed off the wrong hockey god or perhaps next series he comes back and pots three in three games or similar.   He did tweak his back at WJC and had heard he was struggling on/off with it down the stretch.   Big guy has played a lot of hockey and likely wants to be in the line up given time of season but may need some time to patch up.    Only seen two of the crap feed playoff games and he does look "slower" than earlier in year and at WJC - like he is labouring and a back, if that is the issue, can certainly lead to that.    

On 2018-04-10 at 12:51 AM, N7Nucks said:

Yeah it does sound like he is defensively very good still. Injury is not good though. Hopefully it's not too serious. I really like him as a dark horse player for next year.

Might need a year or two in the A before getting a sniff at the NHL. Excited to see him suit up for Utica though when the time comes. 

Think he makes the Canucks team in 2-3 years as a full timer.  Unless he does something bananas and translates seemlessly. I feel his skating needs some work tho.

• Upvote 1

An ongoing injury situation would explain a lot.

Line matching or no line matching, playoff defence tightening up or not - injury is pretty much the only explanation for a regular season ppg player of his experience/skill to literally drop off the map in the playoffs.   

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

that one guys name though "Lyszczarczyk"

I know. Something about that name just doesn’t agree with my brain. Probably the S-Z-C-Z sequence without any vowels. I posted something about him a while back and had to check the spelling over and over and still couldn’t remember the whole name. Literally had to write L-Y-S-Z, go check the spelling, write C-Z-A-R, check the spelling again, and then write C-Z-Y-K. Basically the only way I could get it right.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I know. Something about that name just doesn’t agree with my brain. Probably the S-Z-C-Z sequence without any vowels. I posted something about him a while back and had to check the spelling over and over and still couldn’t remember the whole name. Literally had to write L-Y-S-Z, go check the spelling, write C-Z-A-R, check the spelling again, and then write C-Z-Y-K. Basically the only way I could get it right.

It's a Polish last name..

Pronounced, Lish - Chahr - Chik  (at least thats as close I can translate to what an english pronunciation would sound like xD)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looks like Gadjovich remains out of the lineup for tonight’s game.

And Lyszczarczyk (whose name I can spell now—no I can’t—messed it up—yes I can—I think) has scored the opener. 1-0 Owen Sound.

Hounds quickly answer and now 1-1.

Gadjovich plays a heavy game. Was it an obvious injury or is it wear and tear?

On 2018-04-11 at 9:02 AM, Rush17 said:

Might need a year or two in the A before getting a sniff at the NHL. Excited to see him suit up for Utica though when the time comes. 

Think he makes the Canucks team in 2-3 years as a full timer.  Unless he does something bananas and translates seemlessly. I feel his skating needs some work tho.

I fully expect that Jonah will be in Utica for the next two seasons as well. It'll be nice to have a few different waves of young guys entering the league... 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-04-12 at 1:09 AM, Kushman said:

It's a Polish last name..

Pronounced, Lish - Chahr - Chik  (at least thats as close I can translate to what an english pronunciation would sound like xD)

They are easier to pronounce than they look, do they?

There is Joanna Jedrzejczyk - it's just Yon - Dre - Chik. Not that hard to pronounce.

But of course the UFC doesn't bother with that... it's just Joanna.

On April 7, 2018 at 2:33 AM, The 5th Line said:

Looking at his playoff stats from last year, they are way under his regular season average as well.  Teams must match his line hard and play him much tougher down low.  He's also not known for his skating so maybe playoff speed is causing him some difficulties.  

He did not play last night? Only 1 point in 7 playoff games tho year? Maybe he is playing hurt? Very strange and SSM are up 3-2 in series..

Gadjovich should be heading to Utica very soon....Another good prospect 20 yrs old, 6'2, 210lbs with some grit and talent made Canada's JR team and played decent..

Exciting will all the drafted prospects now at age to play for Utica... New prospects there over last 10 days..
20 Lukas Jasek  W  6 GP - 6 pts... 19  Kole Lind W - 4 GP - 0 PTS    21 Dahlen W-C  should play tonight?  20 Bassard  D  arrived from OHL but has injury,                                           19 W  Gadjovich will be there soon.. Juolevi  D 19 , not sure of his arrival date?      Very exciting,  Benning picks from previous years are of age now.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

He's baaaaaaaaaaaak!

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d say so, looking at his stats line tonight:

1G   1A   +2   5 SOG

Today was definitely more like what we expected to see. 

Good sign for sure. 

• Upvote 1