The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

Jonah likes to play fortnite like all our prospects not named Bo, Pettersson, Dahlen, and possibly Demko lol.

Every prospect interview I hear there is always talk about fortnite.  Its a fun game I play it with friends but ya lol.

Lots of fortnite players in nux org.

45 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Funny thing was I was listening to the radio live and they asked him who he modeled his game after. I was thinking to myself, he reminds me a lot of Tomas Holmstrom...and then of course he says he models his game after him lol.

Haha. I was surprised he said that. How old was he when Holmstrom last played. It just adds to his man child back story. Clearly he has a fake passport lol. He must be 25 at least.

I remember him a long time ago as a kid.  Maybe I'm thinking peak years. 

Edited by Rush17
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Jonah likes to play fortnite like all our prospects not named Bo, Pettersson, Dahlen, and possibly Demko lol.

Every prospect interview I hear there is always talk about fortnite.  Its a fun game I play it with friends but ya lol.

This is bad - should be in ELC clause NO FORTNITE 

Srsly haha so addictive 

20 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

DOes playing the game make our guys better players?  Honestly I’d never heard of this game, and had to Google it.  What ever happened to players playing poker?  

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Haha. I was surprised he said that. How old was he when Holmstrom last played. It just adds to his man child back story. Clearly he has a fake passport lol. He must be 25 at least.

I remember him a long time ago as a kid.  Maybe I'm thinking peak years. 

Jonah would have been roughly 8-10 when Holmstrom was on the back 5-7 years of his career. Not crazy to say he didn't watch some Holmstrom in his time. And Holmstrom was largely consistent throughout his entire career. Dropping 30-40 points late into his career. It was surprising to me when he said it as well. Didn't realize how recently Holmstrom had played. Having a guy like that on Vancouver would be pretty fantastic. He had a 15 year career in Detroit giving a good many goalies trouble.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

DOes playing the game make our guys better players?  Honestly I’d never heard of this game, and had to Google it.  What ever happened to players playing poker?  

WAIT WHAT :o Its literally the most popular game rn. It makes it on TV too. 

Some dude who streams fortnite on twitch makes half a million dollar a month 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/tyler-ninja-blevins-explains-how-he-makes-more-than-500000-a-month-playing-video-game-fortnite.html

On 1/1/2018 at 10:05 AM, canuckledraggin said:

@2:39 Weisbrod starts explaining to Benning why Jonah is their guy. Big thanks to the scouting staff for making him a Canucks player. He is going to make life miserable for defensemen and opposing goalies for years. Additional thanks to Torts for being a stark raving lunatic and really giving the management no choice but to fire him and the Columbus Blue Jackets for being forced to give us their 2nd rounder.

A safe work environment is exactly what this team is going to need with all of the young guys we're going to have coming up in the next few years and even though he's just a kid himself, he looks and plays like he's 10 years older.

He reminds me of 'the demolition man' Tomas Holmstrom  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--KJFL_Y38

Well I knew he reminded me of Tomas Holmstrom, but I didn't know he was trying to BE him hehe.

• Upvote 2

If he could get his game anywhere close to the Holmstrom ballpark I would be elated.  The Canucks need a guy like that sooooo bad.

I do have a nagging concern around his injury record and questionable skating.  It will be no easy task at the next level.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, N7Nucks said:

Jonah would have been roughly 8-10 when Holmstrom was on the back 5-7 years of his career. Not crazy to say he didn't watch some Holmstrom in his time. And Holmstrom was largely consistent throughout his entire career. Dropping 30-40 points late into his career. It was surprising to me when he said it as well. Didn't realize how recently Holmstrom had played. Having a guy like that on Vancouver would be pretty fantastic. He had a 15 year career in Detroit giving a good many goalies trouble.

Two or three major keys?

The ability to handle the puck in tight! Hold people off, have your head up, pivot if necessary, and make plays with people poking at you! Sounds easy?  The Sedins, at 185 lbs could do it. Dino Cicerelli was an absolute bomb in front of the net, leading to my next point... Jake needs to learn this, Matthew Tkachuk is almost as good as the Twins(35+). Also tips, redirections, passes... 

Positioning! Not just getting there, staying there regardless of the price. Even better? Punish those other bastards who want to move you? Even get in on the goalie when the puck is loose. Same deal on the boards. Back to the Twins? Frack, they always seemed to cut where they coul get to the puck, a D could not, and they could shield the puck with the boards, their body, the ref, anything.

Fitness. Scrumming is almost more exhausting thean full on skates. Hence the Twins actually being better than any would expect.  The secret, they had energy half way through, all the way through, could extend a shift beyond when opposition was exhausted. And they still had coordination, could handle the puck, back to point one, with their head up. CORE strength!

What we do know Gadgy has is no fear, and the body to punish.   

On 4/20/2018 at 12:34 AM, N7Nucks said:

Holmstrom was my favorite player growing up as well. It's how I liked to play hockey back in the day. My skating wasn't the best, but I was strong and could put in the trash LOL. I'm so happy to hear that this was a guy he grew up idolizing. I have been waiting for a player like this to be on our team. We haven't seen a guy like that in...I don't even recall?? Bertuzzi wasn't really that kind of player, he had more finesse...i'm drawing blanks lol. HELP

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Holmstrom was my favorite player growing up as well. It's how I liked to play hockey back in the day. My skating wasn't the best, but I was strong and could put in the trash LOL. I'm so happy to hear that this was a guy he grew up idolizing. I have been waiting for a player like this to be on our team. We haven't seen a guy like that in...I don't even recall?? Bertuzzi wasn't really that kind of player, he had more finesse...i'm drawing blanks lol. HELP

Most current players have evolved their games to fit into the current NHL, but I would say the closest thing now is probably Hornqvist.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Most current players have evolved their games to fit into the current NHL, but I would say the closest thing now is probably Hornqvist.

For sure I agree with that. Holmstrom thrived in an age where you could get away with average/poor skating lol. I like the Hornqvist match, he is a fire hydrant, and our man child has a few more inches than him! Hornqvist is a better skater than him however. Obviously that is a workable situation. 

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

For sure I agree with that. Holmstrom thrived in an age where you could get away with average/poor skating lol. I like the Hornqvist match, he is a fire hydrant, and our man child has a few more inches than him! Hornqvist is a better skater than him however. Obviously that is a workable situation. 

It was also the era where you could hook and hold and even drape yourself over the fastest players to slow them down.

There is no doubt that he will have to improve his skating, but a Hornqvist like career would be amazing. If Pettersson and Boeser can't score on their initial shots with Gadjovich screening on the PP, then Gadjovich is gold around the crease. However until he improves his skating, he might not be more than Maroon at this point.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It was also the era where you could hook and hold and even drape yourself over the fastest players to slow them down.

There is no doubt that he will have to improve his skating, but a Hornqvist like career would be amazing. If Pettersson and Boeser can't score on their initial shots with Gadjovich screening on the PP, then Gadjovich is gold around the crease. However until he improves his skating, he might not be more than Maroon at this point.

I'd even take a Maroon with more work ethic, which he seems to have. Man Child, Garbage Man, Takin care of business! I'm excited for this guy, we need a good net front presence on our PP. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'd even take a Maroon with more work ethic, which he seems to have. Man Child, Garbage Man, Takin care of business! I'm excited for this guy, we need a good net front presence on our PP. 

I think Horvat has been doing a pretty good job so far on that. However, I agree that it's exciting to see if Gadjovich can take it to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...