The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Rathbone is an aggressive offense minded defense man. That's been his forte. There's nothing wrong with that but he does choose the wrong situations to do it at times.

Gets caught up-ice resulting in a chance against. He has to pick his spots with more foresight. Paying attention to what the coach wants will be key. No question about 

the talent level. For a smaller guy, he hits pretty hard and isn't afraid to muck it up when the case calls for it, got a wee bit of a temper on him.

It can work but he has to listen to the coach.

we're lucky to have Bruce, he'll be able to get the message though I'm sure. I'm just happy we don't have to worry about Baumer guiding this kid. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Rathbone is an aggressive offense minded defense man. That's been his forte. There's nothing wrong with that but he does choose the wrong situations to do it at times.

Gets caught up-ice resulting in a chance against. He has to pick his spots with more foresight. Paying attention to what the coach wants will be key. No question about 

the talent level. For a smaller guy, he hits pretty hard and isn't afraid to muck it up when the case calls for it, got a wee bit of a temper on him.

It can work but he has to listen to the coach.

Last year he looked a bit shy in traffic at times. I remember specifically once behind the opposition net him getting pushed around. Not a good look. Yep leave the fancy stuff to Huggy for sure.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Talent-wise, I think he is the best of the wannabes and may be able to hold down a spot; it's just that he is waiver exempt for one more year.

I really do think Rathbone with show his true skill in this training camp and pre season.. Would be so awesome to have a offensive D man on 3 sets of defence.

Rathbone on 3 pairing with Poolman//Dermott ---Schenn

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

How has Rathbones physical training been? Has he been lifting at all? Put on any muscle? Be good to see a tougher Rath, looked a bit soft on the boards when he was called up last year. 

He's a notorious gym rat and was already built like a fire hydrant. I wouldn't worry about that.

His biggest issue will be his ability to play defense (and will he get the opportunity to play to his strengths). Everything else about his game is at an NHL level.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/7/2022 at 11:44 AM, Muttley said:

Let's make a deal for an old (not so old) buddy of Rathbone. Played together in Utica some.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=192491

Reilly Walsh / right shot defense / Cap hit $925,000. / New Jersey. What would it take?

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

but he has to listen to the coach.

I'd love the addition of Reilly to our squad, he comes from the same great program as Rathbone, not sure if we could offer anything enticing enough though trade wise? With Rathbone's history with Cull, hopefully hits the ground running this season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He's a notorious gym rat and was already built like a fire hydrant. I wouldn't worry about that.

His biggest issue will be his ability to play defense (and will he get the opportunity to play to his strengths). Everything else about his game is at an NHL level.

Extremely important... especially if he ends up playing 3rd pair with OEL and Hughes on the top two LHD... 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Last year he looked a bit shy in traffic at times. I remember specifically once behind the opposition net him getting pushed around. Not a good look. Yep leave the fancy stuff to Huggy for sure.

Yep... more important he gets to defend better first and foremost, and then the rest will follow.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I hope he watched his own tape. Not for his offense just his defensive play. Last we thing a need is a cherry picker hanging outside the blue line.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Gotta figure OEL with his experience at RHD gets moved over at camp and hopefully solves the issue, internally.

It'll be interesting to see, how they tackle it...

They could also leave OEL with Myers. 

My only concern with moving OEL to the right, is who plays with Myers? 

Unless QH plays with OEL, it would demote Myers to the 3rd line, as QH with Myers hasn't worked. 

3 hours ago, Muttley said:

Vancouver Canucks of Tomorrow: Jack Rathbone

September 11, 2022

By

Rob Simpson 
Vancouver Canucks, Jack Rathbone

Jack Rathbone playing for the Vancouver Canucks in 2021.

Canucks of Tomorrow is assessing every prospect in the Vancouver Canucks system and what they are projecting to be in the future. We’ll be looking at the strengths and weaknesses of their game, as well as what the future holds for them if and when they advance through the Vancouver organization. Today, we feature Jack Rathbone.

JACK RATHBONE

Position: Left-shot defenceman

How Acquired: Drafted, 4th-round, 95th-overall, 2017

2021-22 Stats: (GP-G-A-PTS) 39-10-30-40, 15 PIM (Abbotsford, AHL)

Contract Status: A two-season, one-way NHL deal that pays him an average of $850,000 per season.

Anticipated 2022-23 Team: Vancouver Canucks

PROSPECT SYNOPSIS

This may be the most poignant of our “Vancouver Canucks of the Future” series. Or maybe the most pressing? How about urgent?

Just above here, Rathbone’s anticipated team is listed as the Vancouver Canucks. That’s not being overly optimistic, that’s just because we only allow ourselves one choice, and Vancouver seems the logical option. There would be more than a few disappointed hockey folks if Rathbone’s fulltime NHL dream doesn’t become a reality, obviously no one more so than the player himself.

If top lefty D-man Quinn Hughes is capable and ultimately willing to move to the right side for this season, then the likelihood of Rathbone’s life in the big show increases.

If Hughes moves over, Oliver Ekman-Larsson would move up and slot into the top pair on the left side, leaving plenty of room for Rathbone to work his way into one of the next four. The 23-year-old former 4th-round draft pick of the Canucks in 2017 would otherwise be facing ‘do or die’ territory as it relates to his Vancouver future. If he’s not ready this season, head scratching would ensue.

Optimism stems from the fact Rathbone showed his mettle towards the end of last season after returning from injury and leading the Abbotsford Canucks to the AHL Calder Cup playoffs. He was sterling after missing a month and a half due to a cheap shot check by Colton Sceviour of Bakersfield in an American Hockey League game back on February 16th. Rathbone ended up a point-a-game D-man in the AHL.

He’s been a standout at every level he’s played, including at Harvard where he spent the 2018-’19 college hockey season with partner Adam Fox, the eventual 2021 Norris Trophy winner for the New York Rangers.

Future

“He’s an extremely talented player,” Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin said of Rathbone in early July. “Nothing is for granted here, and I expect Jack to come in and compete for a spot on our team. We want to make sure we create internal competition. We’re excited for younger players to be pushing for ice time.”

Rathbone has already played 17 career games at hockey’s highest level. He got his first NHL goal out of the way back in the spring of 2021 against Mikko Koskinen of the Edmonton Oilers. He’s shown excellent skating ability, manoeuvrability, and creativity. Added strength and maturity will come.

The door’s wide open and Rathbone is expected to confidently walk through it.

Hope they are right, cause this looks exactly like the articles written about Rathbone a year ago.
Definitely hope he is ready to take the next step, but only time will tell. 
Atm I think it 50/50 if he will be a Canuck or will be part of a package... the talent is definitely there. 

So excited to see Rathbone this season... New management have watched Rathbone enough to know how much skill this young guy has. Rathbone has the elite skating and skill.. Rathbone will have fans excited...

Go Rathbone Go !

Starts as #6 and works into a # 4 D man very soon...