The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

• 4 weeks later...

I was fine with giving Stillman some games to see what we got here and do want him to play some more. 

But we really need to play Rathbone. Like a good stretch of games too, not just in for 1 out for 3. Pair him with Schenn on the 3rd pair. 

Hughes     Poolman

OEL          Meyers

Rathbone  Schenn

Stillman    Burroughs 

If after the first handful of games Rathbone is looking out of his depth sit him for a game or two and work with the kid. Then try again and if it still isn't working then sure send him to the AHL. But just feels like we are wasting a decent looking prospect when we have a D group that is universally agreed upon that it is weak already, so why not give the guy a shot.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Juulsen is RD and Rathbone is LD. 

You can work around that. The talent gulf between the two players makes their “handed-ness” somewhat irrelevant in my opinion. Maybe Jack isn’t an NHL’er (I’d argue neither is Juulsen), but lets play him so we can find out. 

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

You can work around that. The talent gulf between the two players makes their “handed-ness” somewhat irrelevant in my opinion. Maybe Jack isn’t an NHL’er (I’d argue neither is Juulsen), but lets play him so we can find out. 

Plus, given the struggles this team is having moving the puck (as evidenced by Hughes currently accounting for a larger share of controlled entries/exits than the rest of the D combined) I’d say puckmoving ability (which Rathbone clearly has) might be more important for this team right now than size or handedness.

At least give him a look.

I’d also like to see him get some PP time, just to see if another puckmover/QB option at D, either working from up top (in a 4F/1D) or from the half wall (in a 3F/2D), and one who owns a cannon of a shot, might help the group.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Plus, given the struggles this team is having moving the puck (as evidenced by Hughes currently accounting for a larger share of controlled entries/exits than the rest of the D combined) I’d say puckmoving ability (which Rathbone clearly has) might be more important for this team right now than size or handedness.

At least give him a look.

I’d also like to see him get some PP time, just to see if another puckmover/QB option at D, either working from up top (in a 4F/1D) or from the half wall (in a 3F/2D), and one who owns a cannon of a shot, might help the group.

We haven't had that big shot from the point since Salo.  We could really use a Salo type right now.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Keep playing him. The D sucks he is the least of our concerns. Let the kid get games in. Good skater and could end up a solid puck moving Dman. 

The quickness off the back end is impressive.  Could settle in as one of the play drivers on the offensive side of the puck which is very much needed right now.

29 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

How did he play the last two games? Wasn't able to catch the entire game but heard he was decent?

imo is biggest issue is the odd risky pass up the middle setting up dangerous turnovers. He needs to clean that up and should be able to.

Good skater, seems to know when to jump up to create offence. 

We're going to have to be patient over this season with him, but I think it will be worth it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/20/2022 at 7:31 AM, Locke Lamora said:

I have to say both of these two we’re probably our best d pair 2 games ago.

Edited by NorthWestNuck

14 hours ago, JM_ said:

imo is biggest issue is the odd risky pass up the middle setting up dangerous turnovers. He needs to clean that up and should be able to.

Good skater, seems to know when to jump up to create offence. 

We're going to have to be patient over this season with him, but I think it will be worth it. 

Well said JM. He has nothing left to prove on the farm. He is an offensive defensemen…gotta take the warts with that kind of player. He does make some risky plays, but he does need to “feel” it out at the NHL level, he has shown to adjust his game quickly when he makes mistakes. 

Last season my biggest worry with him was his awareness in the d zone, which is how he got caught and smacked against the boards taking him out of the game, yes dirty hit, but those plays happen. I wanted to see this year if he has learned to protect himself better along the boards and so far from what I see he has definitely adapted and learned. All the d zone plays the last 2 games were pretty ok, skated himself out of trouble and when pressured made a quick pass to try and get the puck to an open player…he didn’t try to hold onto it and and get himself caught along the boards…where his weakness lies being a smaller dman. 

I hope he continues to get reps on the blue line, as he has obviously shown he can stick. Now we just need some of that offensive stuff of his to pay off. It’s there, he just needs to learn a bit more on the timing of things. Once he is comfortable I would love to see him on the first PP instead of the second…I mean what’s the harm? Can’t suck more than it already does lol.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Well said JM. He has nothing left to prove on the farm. He is an offensive defensemen…gotta take the warts with that kind of player. He does make some risky plays, but he does need to “feel” it out at the NHL level, he has shown to adjust his game quickly when he makes mistakes. 

Last season my biggest worry with him was his awareness in the d zone, which is how he got caught and smacked against the boards taking him out of the game, yes dirty hit, but those plays happen. I wanted to see this year if he has learned to protect himself better along the boards and so far from what I see he has definitely adapted and learned. All the d zone plays the last 2 games were pretty ok, skated himself out of trouble and when pressured made a quick pass to try and get the puck to an open player…he didn’t try to hold onto it and and get himself caught along the boards…where his weakness lies being a smaller dman. 

I hope he continues to get reps on the blue line, as he has obviously shown he can stick. Now we just need some of that offensive stuff of his to pay off. It’s there, he just needs to learn a bit more on the timing of things. Once he is comfortable I would love to see him on the first PP instead of the second…I mean what’s the harm? Can’t suck more than it already does lol.

yep its only October, lots of time for him to get the reps in.