The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Happened to me a few years ago. Some bugger cut me off on my motorcycle. I didn't want to hit him so I swerved into the curb. My handlebar smacked my ribs. I dinged them and damn that hurt for weeks. 

It's no fun for sure, you can't laugh or cough. I was speared in a game and it lasted for about 2 weeks

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bone can be put back in the AHL without waivers until the end of the 2023 season.  No worries with his rights.  

We're all aware he has another year on his contract. But AHL is not noted for big money on an ELC. No one wiishes to play at pennies in th dollar in the AHL and I suspect his agent is canvassing the rest of the league

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Happened to me a few years ago. Some bugger cut me off on my motorcycle. I didn't want to hit him so I swerved into the curb. My handlebar smacked my ribs. I dinged them and damn that hurt for weeks. 

I feel your pain.

I've had a shoulder separation, concussion, broken orbital, broken nose, torn ligaments in my index finger, broken tail bone, stress fractures on the same spot on my left foot on multiple occasions, sciatica since I was 19 years old (all injuries from a hockey career that went nowhere and golf -- the sciatica)...nothing worse than broken ribs...can't poop properly and sneezing feels like someone is impaling you like a sheeshkabob.  And I got this injury playing street hockey with my neighbors kids back in 1990 when I jammed the butt end into my ribs running full speed.  Only good thing about broken ribs is that after six to nine months, it heals.  And as long as it doesn't puncture the lungs, you're good to go eventually.

• Cheers 1

Just now, bigbadcanucks said:

I feel your pain.

I've had a shoulder separation, concussion, broken orbital, broken nose, torn ligaments in my index finger, broken tail bone, stress fractures on the same spot on my left foot on multiple occasions, sciatica since I was 19 years old (all injuries from a hockey career that went nowhere and golf -- the sciatica)...nothing worse than broken ribs...can't poop properly and sneezing feels like someone is impaling you like a sheeshkabob.  And I got this injury playing street hockey with my neighbors kids back in 1990 when I jammed the butt end into my ribs running full speed.  Only good thing about broken ribs is that after six to nine months, it heals.  And as long as it doesn't puncture the lungs, you're good to go eventually.

I think I cracked a couple of them on the right side. But they weren't broken. Was hell the first day. Had to get some Ibuprofen to at least take the edge off. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Dealing with a cracked rib right now, 39…don’t heal as quick any more lol. The changes I’m seeing going into 40 are an eye opener to my health and how to not act so invincible! Same with these young players, the stuff I did to myself in my 20’s I’m now feeling today. Joint pain, back issues, etc. I didn’t feel none of that even 5 years ago…so they gotta look after themselves after the game is done too! Still gotta live life after pro hockey. Some of these guys, I think back to Richard’s or even Kesler, are so broken that their life is filled with heavy aches and pains after….they will all say it’s worth it, but it doesn’t make heading into your 40’s any effing easier lol. You don’t think of that in your 20’s at all.

Anyways sorry for rant. Hope whenever that happened to you your all healed up from it and living a pain free life. Or as close to it as you can get.

Cheers

Wait til you hit your 50s.  Aches and pains, and your eyesight goes.  So imagine being a blind man with chronic discomfort.  Welcome to my world.  That aside, life is beautiful.

Edit...forgot to add that your hearing goes as well.  So the only way your wife talks to you is by screaming at you.  Good thing is, I don't hear our newborn baby crying for his midnight, 2AM, 4AM and 6AM feedings, so I manage to sleep through it.  My poor wife.

Edit 2...bad thing about your hearing going is that you may not hear the burglars in your house in the middle of the night...or the fire detector going off if there's something aflame.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Wait til you hit your 50s.  Aches and pains, and your eyesight goes.  So imagine being a blind man with chronic discomfort.  Welcome to my world.  That aside, life is beautiful.

Always wondered when I was younger why old folks were so bitter, angry. It's because your body is aching, and it doesn't get better. 

Reminds me of a Bloom County cartoon. His Grandpa says: I feel good today. Real good today! REAL! REAL Good...and starts dancing. Then collapses.

"Good, not young...just good.."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

We're all aware he has another year on his contract. But AHL is not noted for big money on an ELC. No one wiishes to play at pennies in th dollar in the AHL and I suspect his agent is canvassing the rest of the league

HIs agent can't do anything.  Bone is locked in with us.  You are making no point here.  Accept it and move on.  Bone will be in Abby or with us next season.  He has no other options.  His agent can do nothing about it.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

All defense take hits, Hughes, for the most part, has always been aware of the defensive zone and knew how to protect himself from the worst of the hits.

Rathbone is going to be a really good D in this league, but if he's brought up too soon, before he's really had a chance to address his deficiencies in his own zone, we will be undermining his long term success.

We don't need someone up here just because he can put up points. If he's putting up 2 points ever night but causing 3 against us, coaches won't play him.

Rathbone is far less deficient defensively than Hughes was in his first two years. You seem to forget that Hughes had the second worst +/- in the league among D last season. Let’s not pretend that Hughes was something that he was not last year - Hughes was godawful defensively last season -27. He came back this year a different player - and that wasn’t because he spent time in the AHL, it was because he came back much stronger physically. Rathbone is pretty much the same height as Hughes, but he has ten to fifteen pounds on him - Rathbone was well known as a fitness nut in college.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Rathbone is far less deficient defensively than Hughes was in his first two years. You seem to forget that Hughes had the second worst +/- in the league among D last season. Let’s not pretend that Hughes was something that he was not last year - Hughes was godawful defensively last season -27. He came back this year a different player - and that wasn’t because he spent time in the AHL, it was because he came back much stronger physically. Rathbone is pretty much the same height as Hughes, but he has ten to fifteen pounds on him - Rathbone was well known as a fitness nut in college.

hughes is a far better defensive player than chychscrub

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah, rib injuries suck. Longest injury for me wasn’t that, nor my shoulder dislocation, nor my dislocated kneecap. The worst was breaking my scaphoid bone in my thumb - 13 wasted weeks in a cast - the scaphoid is smaller than a dime, but only has a blood supply to one end of the bone. If you don’t keep the fracture entirely stabilized, the end of the bone with no blood supply can go into necrosis. The problem with rib injuries is that in lots of cases it hurts like hell just to breathe.

Anyway, love Jack’s productivity since he became healthy again. 

15 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That was last year, whole team was horrible last year. His first year, he was actually pretty good.

If you think that Rathbone looked even remotely NHL ready at the start of this season, when he was playing on the blueline, I think you will have a LOT of trouble finding people on this board who agree with you. Rathbone has even admitted himself in recent interviews, that he knows he needs to be more defensively responsible to make it in the NHL.

I'm not sure why fans find the NEED to have guys here, JUST so that it satisfies their NEED to see someone who is capable of putting up points. Points are not the whole game, they need to defend as well, or they won't stay in the NHL for long.

How many times have we seen good offensive defensemen, wash out of the league, because they don't put in the time, learning to play defense.

Developing NHL ready players, sometimes takes patience, its something that Vancouver fans are never happy with.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

HIs agent can't do anything.  Bone is locked in with us.  You are making no point here.  Accept it and move on.  Bone will be in Abby or with us next season.  He has no other options.  His agent can do nothing about it.  

Well he or his agent  likely have the memory of an elephant, I would and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one either,if he resigns it'll be for good coin. Rathbone was a good pick let's not pi$$ him off, I'm sure if he hangs out eventually other will step up

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I feel your pain.

Great description of a rib injury, God help you if someone makes you laugh - hurts to laugh, hurts to make yourself not laugh. And hiccups, hiccups when you have a rib injury, are awful. Another beauty is getting high-sticked in the Adam’s Apple when some big brute tried to lift my stick and missed. It hurt to swallow or talk for a month, and my voice sounded like I’d swallowed a gravel pit.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Time will tell re Rathbone. The fans look at it from a team success point of view. For Rathbone and every player it's business and money on a short lived career. I'd have to think other teams are asking what his future is like in Vcr.  He's a RFA at the end of this season

I have been super high on Jack since I read an article 2 years before he got drafted talking about him being a possible top 10 pick. So for me I hope he's here for a long time but with Hughes and OEL and our extremely weak prospect pool on the right side  him or OEL going to the right-side would make a lot of sense. Especially since I see Rathbone as a guy capable of much more than a 3rd pairing guy.

There is always the very possible scenario that we develop him to a point where he commands enough value to get us that seemingly elusive RHD long-term partner for Quinn.

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Agreed.  Hughes learned how to play defence in the summer not in the AHL.  The AHL is a different game and they play it at a different speed.  The only way to really learn how to play defence in the NHL is to play in the NHL.

I'm hoping Bone gets every chance to make the team next year.  Hopefully he signs a one way deal which would push him in the summer to be a better player.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

That was last year, whole team was horrible last year. His first year, he was actually pretty good.

If you think that Rathbone looked even remotely NHL ready at the start of this season, when he was playing on the blueline, I think you will have a LOT of trouble finding people on this board who agree with you. Rathbone has even admitted himself in recent interviews, that he knows he needs to be more defensively responsible to make it in the NHL.

I'm not sure why fans find the NEED to have guys here, JUST so that it satisfies their NEED to see someone who is capable of putting up points. Points are not the whole game, they need to defend as well, or they won't stay in the NHL for long.

How many times have we seen good offensive defensemen, wash out of the league, because they don't put in the time, learning to play defense.

Developing NHL ready players, sometimes takes patience, its something that Vancouver fans are never happy with.

Vegas lets consider that he was playing under Green and Bumgardner's defensive scheme. Now that BB is in, our offense is up and our defense is down............

So would you not think that might also apply to Rathbone?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1