The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bone got moved lower down the depth chart of opportunity when we traded our third rounder for Dermott too.  Hughes, OEL, Dermott, Hunt, then Bone.  Without the Dermott trade Bone has a spot to fight for.  Every GM will make their own acquisitions higher up the depth chart.  Dermott will get lots of rope.  

Move OEL to the right. He's been in the league forever, it might be an unpopular opinion but he should be able to figure it out. It's not like we're losing something because he isn't playing that well anyway.

Hughes OEL

Dermott Myers

Rathbone schenn

So long as schenn doesn't lose much to age in the offseason this is a slightly improved unit over the one we have with hunt in the lineup. 

Rathbone needs to be with the big club next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Rathbone with his second assist of the first period, primary assist on the PP. He just looks so smooth out there, quick mind, quick feet, anticipates well, great shot, great breakout. Love this kid, but Boudreau loves Hunt, nobody is pushing Hughes out of a job, and we are paying EL over seven mil a year, so nobody will take his spot. Tough situation, unless there is a significant injury.

It will change when the inevitable is done.  

I am trying to firgure out why Hunt taking bottom minutes atm is a problem, it now a help in draft position and extra practice on PK when playing with hunt 5 v 5, so it makes his line mates better at 4 v 5 for next season.  

Why is Rathbone being hurt by getting major ice time in his first full professional season.  

Isn’t the biggest bitch on this site, that we have no prospects in Abbey?  

Can’t be both.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

It will change when the inevitable is done.  

I am trying to firgure out why Hunt taking bottom minutes atm is a problem, it now a help in draft position and extra practice on PK when playing with hunt 5 v 5, so it makes his line mates better at 4 v 5 for next season.  

Why is Rathbone being hurt by getting major ice time in his first full professional season.  

Isn’t the biggest bitch on this site, that we have no prospects in Abbey?  

Can’t be both.  

He has played only 54 pro games, faced injuries, and looked terrible in his 9 games with Vancouver. I am happy with him dominating the AHL the rest of the season and being the top call-up next year 

The defense needs total reconstruction.  We will need to make some sacrifices.  Rathbone needs to be in our lineup.  You cannot trade him.  He is too good.  He's miles better than Forsling who's now a top 4 Dman with Florida and is on pace for 35 points.

Hughes          Schneider

OEL               Marino

Rathbone      Schenn

Bahl              Poolman

We get much younger with Schneider, Marino, Bahl and Rathbone.  That D is much more skilled and mobile than what we have now.

Marino, Schneider and Bahl can all be acquired via trade.  We have Miller, Boeser, Garland as trade chips.  Every trade must be considered.  Only untouchables on the team are Hughes, Demko and Petey.,,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Muttley said:

Thee more assists for Jack tonight. Two of them primary.  His offensive game is very polished.  The only way he develops his defensive game now, is at the NHL level.

Not many NHL teams are equipped to handle a one / two punch of Hughes and Rathbone, pair one and pair two, not to mention 1st and 2nd unit PPs.

What do we do with Dermott, trade hi for a fifth round pick?

10 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

He has played only 54 pro games, faced injuries, and looked terrible in his 9 games with Vancouver. I am happy with him dominating the AHL the rest of the season and being the top call-up next year 

The entire team looked terrible those 9 games. He was great at the end of last season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Rathbone will hopefully get a deep Calder run. That number of games and the experience will set him up for a roster challenge next fall. I really doubt Hunt will be with Van next fall. Younger and faster. More at play is who comes onto the roster from any trade deals this summer. If Miller or Boeser are moved it should be a RD who can play top 4. I wouldn't rule out Meyers being moved either. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hughes    Trade

Oel          Myers

Dermott    Poolman

Rathbone  Schenn

I expect we may see something like this next year. I think Rathbone has another year of waiver ineligibility so he can come up and down. With injuries he will be up a lot. Dermott can play either side. Schenn can play up and down.  So there is some depth.

Big key is finding that 21 to 25 y/o RHD partner to pair with Hughes for many years to come.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Hughes    Trade

Oel          Myers

Dermott    Poolman

Rathbone  Schenn

I expect we may see something like this next year. I think Rathbone has another year of waiver ineligibility so he can come up and down. With injuries he will be up a lot. Dermott can play either side. Schenn can play up and down.  So there is some depth.

Big key is finding that 21 to 25 y/o RHD partner to pair with Hughes for many years to come.

I agree.  We will see one of Bo, Garland, or Boeser traded to get that D man you speak of.  Likely it’s Garland, because he’s got the best (of those three) contract status.  

11 hours ago, Muttley said:

Thee more assists for Jack tonight. Two of them primary.  His offensive game is very polished.  The only way he develops his defensive game now, is at the NHL level.

Not many NHL teams are equipped to handle a one / two punch of Hughes and Rathbone, pair one and pair two, not to mention 1st and 2nd unit PPs.

I’m loving that they finally have Woo and Rathbone playing on the same line again as last year. They make a great potential future pairing. They compliment each other well and Woo has always handled the rough stuff if anyone gets in Rathbones grill. We haven’t seen them play much together this year due to injuries to the both of them. I can definitely see a future 3rd pairing of Woo and Bone on the big club.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone needs to be with the big club next year.  No way you let this guy go.  He will be special.  It's hard to find that kind of talent.  Hunt won't be around next year so all should be good.  If Boudreau wants to re-sign Hunt then I don't have a problem with Allvin letting him go.

Jack Rathbone checks all the boxes that management stated they were looking for; faster, younger and with exceptional hockey IQ and skating ability. No way you trade a guy like this over a 33 yr. old player who is on the downhill side of his very modest career.

I fully expect JR to make the team out of camp next year. They will make room for him IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, J.I.A.H.N said:

#2   Owen Power               LHD     NCAA

#4   Jake Sanderson          LHD.........................in the NHL

#5   Bowen Byram              LHD..............  .........in the NHL

12   Luke Hughes               LHD     NCAA

13   Brandt Clarke              RHD     OHL

22   Ville Heinola                LHD..........................in the NHL

25   Simon Edvinsson         RHD    Europe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------      End of Blue Chip

29   Topi Niemela                RHD    Europe

31   Cam York                    LHD     AHL

32   Kaiden Guhle               LHD     WHL

35   Philip Broberg            LHD     AHL

39   Thomas Harley           LHD     AHL

42   Braden Schneider............RHD.....................in the NHL

45   Calen Addison           RHD     AHL

46   Brock Faber                 RHD     NCAA

51   Emil Andrae                   LHD      Europe

56   Scott Perunovich          LHD.........................in the NHL

60   Jack Rathbone             LHD     AHL

The reason I brought this back up and reposted, is that things have change a little, and after doing a little deeper dive...........I thing you can really start to see Jack's value

Jack's points per game is at 1.07, and only 2 defenseman have had better PPG, this year, and both are in the NHL, as we speak. 

Now, when you look at the rankings, and look where they have Jack, I can tell you York, Broberg, Harley, and Calen Addison are all behind Jack in PPG, and their =/- are not all that great either.............as Jack stands right now stands 13th of all NHL affiliated  Defenseman not playing in the NHL. IMO, I think Jack will be moved up that list, where some will or should be moved down. Here are the players that may be moved................and stats

Jack Rathbone (Van)     5'10 177 lbs      AHL games 29............goals 7...............assists 24...........plus/minus  + 4        Played 9 games with Van this year

Cam York  (Phili)           5'9"  170 lbs      AHL games 31............goals 6...............assists 19...........plus/minus  - 4          Played 25 games with Phili this year

Philip Broberg  (Edm)    6'3"   203 lbs     AHL games 28............gaols 3................assists 17..........plus/minus  +10       Played 22 games with Edm this year

Thomas Harley (Dal)     6'3"   205 lbs     AHL games 27............goals 0................assists 11..........plus/minus   - 3         Played 25 games with Dallas this year

Calen Addison (Minn)    5'11" 170 lbs     AHL games 31............gaols 6................assists 19..........plus/minus   - 4         Played 15 games with Minni this year

Emil Andrae  (Phili)        5'9"   181 lbs........................................SIZE ??????

Anyways......I just thought it was worthy of.................

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

He’ll end up on waivers. What a waste of a 3rd round pick. Allvin better get his sh*t together this summer. 

Or put on his ear muffs so he can’t hear our owner whispering, “we need to speed up this retool”.  

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’ll end up on waivers. What a waste of a 3rd round pick. Allvin better get his sh*t together this summer. 

Dermott can play either side so that may be an option. I guess it all depends on how well he performs over the rest of the season.

7 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Did you watch games no-one else did? He had one bad game when the whole damned team melted down under Green. At that time, no-one was playing well except Miller, Garland, and Demko. The rest of the time he had limited minutes - which is what you expect from a young rookie. But if you really want to see the current version of Rathbone, watch his third assist in his last game - the only other D that we have that makes plays like that anywhere in the organization, is Hughes. 

• Cheers 2

On 3/15/2022 at 10:17 AM, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, I agree 100% on this one. A really poor fit moving forward but a blooming prospect. Definitely a great trade chip. Really enjoy reading your well thought out posts.

In college, Rathbone played plenty of time on the right side - do we have a use for a puck-moving defenceman on the right side? Since he’s a friend of Hughes, maybe he should do what Hughes did, work with Hughes’ dad on his defensive game. The difference in Hughes from last year to this year is amazing - he and Pettersson give us a chance to turn the penalty kill into an offensive opportunity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

In college, Rathbone played plenty of time on the right side - do we have a use for a puck-moving defenceman on the right side? Since he’s a friend of Hughes, maybe he should do what Hughes did, work with Hughes’ dad on his defensive game. The difference in Hughes from last year to this year is amazing - he and Pettersson give us a chance to turn the penalty kill into an offensive opportunity.

Rathbone assists on first goal vs Laval.