The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs sign Patrick Marleau

I usually don't criticize too much, but when I do, I criticize CDC users.

This time I will make an exception and say that makes Loui Eriksson look like pretty good signing and point my critics at the Leafs. Marleau has always managed to fly under the radar in my books, even if he was a 2nd overall pick back in the day. He has always been good and put up great numbers for the Sharks, but to me this deal comes several years too late in his career. Certainly not washed up or anything, but to maintain a level you'd expect from him at that price is gonna be a tough one for him and the Leafs.

Just now, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Marleau cashing in.. tempted to say this is as bad as the eriksson contract but sadly it's not

Just wait until 2 years from now when they have to re-sign Matthews/Nylander/Marner and they're paying a 41 year old Marleau $6.25 million. 

The third year will be the biggest issue and he is a 35+ contract as well. They have a lot of cap coming off the books in the next couple of years so they should have the room to still sign their kids. IMO the logic makes sense, but the player doesn't.

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Just wait until 2 years from now when they have to re-sign Matthews/Nylander/Marner and they're paying a 41 year old Marleau $6.25 million. 

They have like 20M+ coming off the books.

TSN in the next hour:

He brings a veteran presence to the playoffs

one of those guys that gets better with age

has something to prove

guarenteed chemistry with xxxxx

intangibles worth every penny

Jagr-like career will be good for all 3 years

cant-miss Canadian vet

Regression the last 3 consecutive seasons, never produced without Thornton in the line up next to him...Bozak and or JVR HAVE to be on the way out to make this work, and man that blueline still has not been touched.

TSN Grades this an A+  Toronto spends to the cap on players over 35 years old, A+

Canucks spend half that on guys under 30 years old C-

Will be interesting to see him in a Leafs jersey...

Archived