The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs sign Patrick Marleau

Just now, apollo said:

He can just retire come 3rd year... 

I don't think this is a bad move. This guy is a leader and will set an incredible example for the young laughs 

Or the old itching powder on the equipment routine!!

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Or the old itching powder on the equipment routine!!

Man I'm still furious over that Hossa garbage... Nhl better not turn a blind eye and let the hawks get away with that lol 

Maybe I'm in the minority here but good veteran signing for their impressive young core. 

Marleau is past his bbd but but he can still skate and score 25ish goals.  

Still issues on D, but I'd guess that the marleau addition only excels the trade winds for a top 4

Dman.

doubt they'll get a good one without parting with a talented kid or two. 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

I don't think this is a bad move. This guy is a leader and will set an incredible example for the young laughs 

I believe that is referred to as becoming a member of the Arizona Coyotes and cashing in a paycheck for sitting on your couch. :lol:

Just now, 70seven said:

Maybe I'm in the minority here but good veteran signing for their impressive young core. 

Marleau is past his bbd but but he can still skate and score 25ish goals.  

Still issues on D, but I'd guess that the marleau addition only excels the trade winds for a top 4

Dman.

doubt they'll get a good one without parting with a talented kid or two. 

Many of the comments are sarcastic commentary on the bias regarding the way teams choices are dissected and smooched over or attacked depending on the locale of said teams.

score another one for the old dudes. I  like PM but it will be interesting to see what they do with him. 

Something has to give now right? Or will Lupil or Horton be off the books the entire season?

9 minutes ago, apollo said:

Man I'm still furious over that Hossa garbage... Nhl better not turn a blind eye and let the hawks get away with that lol 

are you kidding? Hosea won't count towards the CHI cap, he'll be LTIR guaranteed. And if he really is suffering with a nasty skin disease I'd expect the same for one of our guys. 

14 minutes ago, apollo said:

Leafs are still on the hook as it's a 35+ contract.  Marleau's a good player and leader, but that 3rd year makes this a brutal contract.

That contract is long and way too much money for a guy that's 37. No way he keeps the points up for that amount of time. Don't get me wrong, Marleau is a solid player but when you got guys like Matthews and Marner coming off their entry deals- this is gonna screw the Leafs over eventually. And the fact that TSN probably thinks this is a "fantastic move" and think it's "nothing but a win" makes this whole deal more ridiculous. Good on Marleau for cashing in before the end a great career though.  

Archived