we didn't pick goldobin or gudbranson or baertschi

We missed out on Ehlers and Nylander because he picked Baertschi

I'm not bashing on JB because i think he's a great scout but meh points bud

What?

2 minutes ago, DoughtysCheck said:

we didn't pick goldobin or gudbranson or baertschi

We missed out on Ehlers and Nylander because he picked Baertschi

I'm not bashing on JB because i think he's a great scout but meh points bud

He still scouted their talent and traded for them.. but I wasn't really saying he drafted those guys, I just showed them to show you can get top end skill anywhere in the draft

Because we picked Virtanen. And Virtanen will be winning people over really soon. 2-3 years in the playoffs,  just you wait

1 minute ago, Hortankin said:

Virtanen wasn't in the AHL to score goals. If you actually see how he shoots the puck and the shape he is in, a surprising 20G season from him next year isn't out of the question

If Virtanen makes the team (highly unlikely) he's going to be playing 3rd/4th line minutes. (10-13) mins a game. You expect him to score 20 when he has proven nothing?

Just now, DoughtysCheck said:

i meant virt

I see.  I thought I AGAIN missed something.  I know JB gave up a second for Baer, so I thought there was a trade at the draft he missed out on where we could have used that second for another top 10 pick.  

54 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Bo isn't a star.  It's been analyzed.

He basically started from the 3rd line at the begging of the season worked his ass off in all aspects of the game, and moved his way up to pretty much the 1st line. He still produced many points, maybe not superstar level points, but who cares about the stats. Bo is dominant in almost every aspect of the game, and he's still young. He improved his skating last off season and it made a big impact to his game, who knows what he's working on this off season. He is on the pathway of becoming a star.

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

He basically started from the 3rd line at the begging of the season worked his ass off in all aspects of the game, and moved his way up to pretty much the 1st line. He still produced many points, maybe not superstar level points, but who cares about the stats. Bo is dominant in almost every aspect of the game, and he's still young. He improved his skating last off season and it made a big impact to his game, who knows what he's working on this off season. He is on the pathway of becoming a star.

Yeah - personally I'd have him in the "star" category for sure - not that it matters.  Not many players I'd consider better.

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I agree. Bo is our star, with a nice future supporting cast of Pettersson, Boeser, Dahlen, Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldobin and Gaudette. All of them led by the Canucks Obi-wan-kenobi Sedins. :) Bo started at the bottom of the lineup and in a short time became the leading scorer, and he's only 22. He's still improving so who knows what his ceiling is.

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree. Bo is our star, with a nice future supporting cast of Pettersson, Boeser, Dahlen, Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldobin and Gaudette. All of them led by the Canucks Obi-wan-kenobi Sedins. :) Bo started at the bottom of the lineup and in a short time became the leading scorer, and he's only 22. He's still improving so who knows what his ceiling is.

There Is no ceiling B)

1 hour ago, Wonder__Bread said:

I've been telling my buddy who's a flames fame (I know, yuck, how could I mingle with such filth) that we could realistically make the playoffs as a bubble team in 2018-19. We aren't as bad as the media makes us out to be. I can see several prospects taking steps forward and filling holes in our team as early as 2018-2019. I don't think we'll be a contender till at least 2020-2021 though. 

This is what I'm thinking too. Tank one more year, get Dahlin or Svechnikov, load up in free agency with the absurd amount of cap space we could have, then make the playoffs the following season. 

58 minutes ago, DoughtysCheck said:

Jake Virtanen, 19 points in the AHL last season in 65 games with 9 goals will suddenly hit 20 goals? Ok buddy....

4 goals in 9 games=20 goal season for Brock Boeser?

Remember Jason King, Anson Carter, Jeff Cowen, Brandon Reid????

Regret having read that.

Apparently you're not aware that Anson Carter scored 20 goals 5 times, including a 33 goal season for this team.   In fact he averaged 25 goals / 82 games over his entire career.

Or was that the point you were trying to make?

We ain't making the playoffs 

chicago

Anaheim

minny

stl

edm

Nashville

sj

cgy

dallas

wpg

La

ari

col

van 

Are we gonna bump one of those top 8 teams? Pfft no then the 3 bubble teams are ahead of us on the pecking order

Basically, if everything goes better than expected, we can make the playoffs. Heck, why not the Cup too?

I love optimism, but I don't expect to even contend for a playoff spot for at least two more years. At that point, we'll at least start having a shot at a wild card spot.

I actually thought we'd be a bubble team last season, guys like Granny, Horvat, and Baer took the next step and we added a top 6 winger and a good, physical 2nd pair D man. Obviously that didn't pan out. 

So I have resigned to accepting our team really isn't good. We have some good young players and pieces, but I am expecting a bottom 5 finish in the 2017-2018 season.

31 minutes ago, billabong said:

We ain't making the playoffs 

chicago

Anaheim

minny

stl

edm

Nashville

sj

cgy

dallas

wpg

La

ari

col

van 

Are we gonna bump one of those top 8 teams? Pfft no then the 3 bubble teams are ahead of us on the pecking order

There is the challenge.  In our division, Calgary and Edmonton look better and will be harder to get points out of.  Vegas is best chance for easy points, Anaheim will still be tough, LA who knows how they will be SJ will probably take a little step back.

In the rest of the west Col has made no realy changes and was historically bad last year, so a few easy points.  Arizona may be improving towards respectable, WPG should be better or similar.   Dallas looks to have made some good moves and should be significantly better.  Chicago probably takes a step back this year and look like one major injury away from a one year tank, Minny has taken a small step back but will still be tough for points.  Nashville looks pretty similar to last year.

I have said in other threads that I don't think the new additions make us a lot better, but some aging from our youth will be helpful.  I just don's see us being much better than 26th in the league.  Who is going to be worse than us, Clolorado absolutely, Vegas most likely, Arizona maybe.  One of the California teams will likely tumble just by odds.  In the east I don't know.  NJ likely still poor not sure who else could be much worse than us.

Our schedule is easy again next season in the first half.  So, it's conceivable that we aren't the worst team in the league at Christmas.  Perhaps not even close.  So, maybe that carries over and is enough to help us sneak into the playoffs.  It won't be.  We're going to be god-awful by the end of the year.  But, hey, we can dream, can't we?...

Archived