The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2-headed Swedish monster

canuckledraggin

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Reminds me of a children's book where the fattest kid in the school became a hero when he was finally picked on a team sport..to play goalie and he was so big he filled the entire net.

Add pads to that much goalie and it hardly seems fair compared to the 5-9 to 5-11 goalies of the past.  But I'll take it!  Nilsson had very good stats for a slightly better Buffalo squad, the battle of the back ups commences soon...

This makes me sad...

1 hour ago, The Game said:

This makes me sad...

Me too, I couldn't believe I was typing that, but results are results and last year was a disaster considering on paper at least our team should have done better.  462 lost man games had a lot to do with it, something Green won't have to worry about as much given our glut of third liners available now.  Maybe after this year things will be different.

An honest prediction I think we will place anywhere from 20-30.  Depends a lot on both the coach and how the transfer of power between the Sedins and Horvat.  Personally I hope that they put L.E. with the Sedins for the entire season, for better or worse, and let the young guys try out on the Sutter line.  Put Gagne on the wing with Horvat.  Then let it play out, if we are close to the playoffs at the deadline, Benning and Linden need to stay the course and NOT become buyers, but sell off what the can with an eye to the future same as last year.  I think that is a big reason we added so many easy to trade UFAs.

Give Rodin his try out too.  Keep Boeser up.  Allow the young guys to step up and trim the fat.  

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He may be talking about Joacim Eriksson, who did battle with Markstrom in net for a while. And they both played for Utica, just at different times....

Eriksson started his junior career in Valbo before he moved onto the more prestigious Brynäs IF in his hometown of Gävle in 2007. He was born and raised in the village Hedesunda, where he played his first game as a child.[1]He was drafted in the 7th round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft at 196th overall by the Philadelphia Flyers. However the Flyers did not sign him by June 1, 2011, they lost the rights to him.

Unable to find significant playing time behind Jacob Markström after two years of juniors play and after setting league high marks for Brynäs' J20 SuperElit team, Eriksson moved west to Leksands IF of the second-tier Allsvenskan. The move paid off, as Eriksson played in 38 games in the 2009-10 season with a 2.40 goals against average and a .926 save percentage.[1] This led Leksand to play in the Kvalserien for promotion to the Elitserien for the 2010-11 season.

From 2010 to 2013, Eriksson played for SHL side Skellefteå AIK. He won the Swedish championship with the club in 2013 and reached the SHL finals in 2011 and 2012.

On June 15, 2013, Eriksson signed a two-year professional contract with the Vancouver Canucks.[2] Eriksson played in his first career NHL regular season game for the Canucks on January 15, 2014 against the Anaheim Ducks, coming in relief of starter Eddie Läck in a 9-1 loss.[3] He mostly saw action for the Canucks' affiliate, the Utica Comets, in the American Hockey League.

On June 23, 2015, Eriksson agreed to terms with Dinamo Riga of the KHL.[4] He made 34 appearances for Riga with a GAA of 2.42 and a SVS% of .919. After a single season in Latvia with Riga, he penned a deal with the Växjö Lakers of the Swedish Hockey League in April 2016.[5]

I think we just found Joacim Eriksson's # 1 fan

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Me too, I couldn't believe I was typing that, but results are results and last year was a disaster considering on paper at least our team should have done better.  462 lost man games had a lot to do with it, something Green won't have to worry about as much given our glut of third liners available now.  Maybe after this year things will be different.

An honest prediction I think we will place anywhere from 20-30. 

There's no way we finish dead last. Our depth is 10x better than last year and our kids are another year older. We had the worst depth in the NHL last year and that took us to the 3rd worst OA. Providing we get passable goaltending, we should be in the 18-24 OA range IMO. I'd even say the odds of us making the playoffs are better than the odds of us finishing 30th. Just my opinion though.

9 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

There's no way we finish dead last. Our depth is 10x better than last year and our kids are another year older. We had the worst depth in the NHL last year and that took us to the 3rd worst OA. Providing we get passable goaltending, we should be in the 18-24 OA range IMO. I'd even say the odds of us making the playoffs are better than the odds of us finishing 30th. Just my opinion though.

This is considered a tankable season despite the new lottery rules.  If things are bad Benning should consider trading vets, playing rookies as a cover for full on tank.  Thats why I had such a wide range, but hey at least I didn't predict dead last, just a repeat of last year.

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is considered a tankable season despite the new lottery rules.  If things are bad Benning should consider trading vets, playing rookies as a cover for full on tank.  Thats why I had such a wide range, but hey at least I didn't predict dead last, just a repeat of last year.

Ya, if we could have another tank-ish year and sell off vets at the deadline, that would be preferable. But I think our biggest problem last year was lack of depth and that's why we finished 3rd last. I don't see the same issue this year. That doesn't make us a playoff team but I think it definitely makes us better. So much would have to go wrong for us to finish 3rd last again and it would probably end up costing JB his job. 

Archived