The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2-headed Swedish monster

canuckledraggin

Reminds me of a children's book where the fattest kid in the school became a hero when he was finally picked on a team sport..to play goalie and he was so big he filled the entire net.

Add pads to that much goalie and it hardly seems fair compared to the 5-9 to 5-11 goalies of the past.  But I'll take it!  Nilsson had very good stats for a slightly better Buffalo squad, the battle of the back ups commences soon...

8 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

We have 13 feet of goalie now. Is that the biggest goalie tandem ever?

Markstrom and Eriksson was the 2-headed monster and welcome to the new Canucks. new duo. I love it and Canucks' fans will too.....

Eddie Lack & Markstrom. :P

29 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, Loui needs to work on his technique. The last time he played goalie he got caught way too far out of the blue paint. ;)

IMG_0836.JPG.6cffaa7c66aeb455cb32128c1edc832b.JPG

That was Gudbranson. Loui passed it back to him and he wasn't in position.

He may be talking about Joacim Eriksson, who did battle with Markstrom in net for a while. And they both played for Utica, just at different times....

Eriksson started his junior career in Valbo before he moved onto the more prestigious Brynäs IF in his hometown of Gävle in 2007. He was born and raised in the village Hedesunda, where he played his first game as a child.[1]He was drafted in the 7th round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft at 196th overall by the Philadelphia Flyers. However the Flyers did not sign him by June 1, 2011, they lost the rights to him.

Unable to find significant playing time behind Jacob Markström after two years of juniors play and after setting league high marks for Brynäs' J20 SuperElit team, Eriksson moved west to Leksands IF of the second-tier Allsvenskan. The move paid off, as Eriksson played in 38 games in the 2009-10 season with a 2.40 goals against average and a .926 save percentage.[1] This led Leksand to play in the Kvalserien for promotion to the Elitserien for the 2010-11 season.

From 2010 to 2013, Eriksson played for SHL side Skellefteå AIK. He won the Swedish championship with the club in 2013 and reached the SHL finals in 2011 and 2012.

On June 15, 2013, Eriksson signed a two-year professional contract with the Vancouver Canucks.[2] Eriksson played in his first career NHL regular season game for the Canucks on January 15, 2014 against the Anaheim Ducks, coming in relief of starter Eddie Läck in a 9-1 loss.[3] He mostly saw action for the Canucks' affiliate, the Utica Comets, in the American Hockey League.

On June 23, 2015, Eriksson agreed to terms with Dinamo Riga of the KHL.[4] He made 34 appearances for Riga with a GAA of 2.42 and a SVS% of .919. After a single season in Latvia with Riga, he penned a deal with the Växjö Lakers of the Swedish Hockey League in April 2016.[5]

7 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Image result for swedish meme

Omg... I'm still laughing... I don't know what the last 4 words are but that's hilarious. 

I was actually gonna make a thread about our two new goalies. Vancouver has been the Mecca of Goaltending... no team has possessed such elite goalies as we have from 2006-2017... it's up to the 2 headed Swedish monsters to keep the reputation alive. 

Once a goalie graveyard... now the MECCA OF GOALTENDING 

24 minutes ago, apollo said:

Omg... I'm still laughing... I don't know what the last 4 words are but that's hilarious. 

I was actually gonna make a thread about our two new goalies. Vancouver has been the Mecca of Goaltending... no team has possessed such elite goalies as we have from 2006-2017... it's up to the 2 headed Swedish monsters to keep the reputation alive. 

Once a goalie graveyard... now the MECCA OF GOALTENDING 

That's what everyone calls us with our zero Vezina trophies in 47 years.

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

That's what everyone calls us with our zero Vezina trophies in 47 years.

Come on man... lets be real. The old boys club will never let a Canucks goalie win a Vezina. They don't care about us. 

Luongo should have won multiple Vezina's. 

Miller should have been nominated last year. IDC about his numbers the guy was the most valuable goalie in the league... we would have won 10 games without him.

Just now, apollo said:

Come on man... lets be real. The old boys club will never let a Canucks goalie win a Vezina. They don't care about us. 

Luongo should have won multiple Vezina's. 

Miller should have been nominated last year. IDC about his numbers the guy was the most valuable goalie in the league... we would have won 10 games without him.

Luongo deserved to be a finalist every time he was nominated, as did Kirk McLean, and Richard Brodeur could have been a finalist one year, and Gary Smith the same.  And Luongo deserved to win the Vezina that season where he had 47 wins...in any other year except that year, when Martin Brodeur had 48.

But Kirk McLean always had to deal with Roy, and Luongo always had to deal with Martin Brodeur.  I wish it were otherwise, but that's how it was.

Archived