The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Horvat 6yrs 33M

timberz21

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, pretty much.  In some cases it's trolling for attention, but others it's just some sort of compulsive psychosis rooted in a poor self-image.  When good news comes out and they persist anyway, feel sorry for them, frankly.

Lmao now you are psychoanalyzing poster based on the contents of their posts. #DrRecchi

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Think it should have been a little less cause he isn't proven 

so hopefully he takes a step and this becomes a value deal

happy its done* though and not any higher

1 hour ago, Alexandre said:

Nice deal all around 6 years for 5.5 mil/year ave. I was expecting closer to 6 per because of Draisaitl's contract.

1 hour ago, Solinar said:

I thought it would be 5.25 over 6, but I'm okay with 5.5.  Good to have him here, and hopefully he makes this deal look like a steal, and not like Sutter's.

Yes, 5.5 for 6 years was my personal threshold for liking this deal. So I have to give Benning some credit. I was afraid it would be more. Given other recent deals, $5.5 looks pretty reasonable as the term includes two "UFA years". In general the contracts Benning has signed this summer (Gagner, MDZ, Vanek, etc.) seem much more reasonable than in previous years. And, to be fair, Benning has never been excessively generous with RFAs. Some of his early deals were too generous (Sbisa, Dorsett, Sutter) and of course last summer's UFA signing of Eriksson looks bad. 

Of course, as with all the young guys around the league being signed to big contracts this summer, Horvat needs to take another step forward to make this a good deal. If he keeps his offence the same as last year (50 - 55 pts) but improves his defence from decent (where it is now) to very good (which a lot of people expected of him), that would be fine.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

#failx2 -- at the rate you're going, you may be next ;)

Next at what? Having you spaz out at me for an opinion you perceive as negative? I actually like the signing. I just find it funny how hard you try to police every thread. #epicfail

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Dhaliwal is pretty much on the leading edge of any local media now when it comes to getting direct news, info, and insights it seems.

Not sure how other leading insiders aren't as on top of the Canucks market as Rick.  Rick has really sunk in his teeth and has given timely, informative, and helpful news to the public.  He seems to be really active in making calls to talk to players, agents, scouts, other insiders, canucks management to get all the exclusive details.

Really appreciate his work ethic to bring media to us.  

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Was far more than three posters - far more.   His signing seemed to show up in a number of threads let alone dedicated threads outside his own thread.    Not sure they were crazy but impatient is a good term.   

May have just seemed that way because it looked to me the majority knew a deal would get done and most are probably not even surprised about the dollars or term. 

Just saying if you poll the forum, you'd probably find most are satisfied with the deal and little to complain about the fanbase about

Great news, and pretty much in line with expectations. So now, we have the core signed and we are ready for camp.

Benning seems like he is continuing to learn, on the job. Some of his earlier moves/signings were not all that good, mostly overpayment. Maybe a couple of the early trades could have gone better. Now though...none of the signings this summer have been overpayments. His deadline trades last year certainly look to have long term positives (although I'm not completely sold on Goldobin; don't think he is good enough offensively to overcome his current defensive liabilities). IMHO, we have the makings of a pretty good GM here.

i don't get it. bo is signed, all players are signed. we are starting a new season. probably not going to make the playoffs this season as the rebuild continues. still some negative nancy's are finding some reason to put people down. i'm looking forward to this season. it might even be my final season. i'll be along for the journey.  hopefully, i won't be alone. 

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not sure how other leading insiders aren't as on top of the Canucks market as Rick.  Rick has really sunk in his teeth and has given timely, informative, and helpful news to the public.  He seems to be really active in making calls to talk to players, agents, scouts, other insiders, canucks management to get all the exclusive details.

Really appreciate his work ethic to bring media to us.  

He is actually doing the work.  He is a journalist.  Most of the others are just opinion guys.....

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

Next at what? Having you spaz out at me for an opinion you perceive as negative? I actually like the signing. I just find it funny how hard you try to police every thread. #epicfail

And the trifecta!  S'ok, no analysis even needed, but continue with boat-floating irrationality as you wish :)

Just now, smithers joe said:

i don't get it. bo is signed, all players are signed. we are starting a new season. probably not going to make the playoffs this season as the rebuild continues. still some negative nancy's are finding some reason to put people down. i'm looking forward to this season. it might even be my final season. i'll be along for the journey.  hopefully, i won't be alone. 

Whoever is negative about this deal is out to lunch.  Good long term deal at a decent price for a core building block. Even if it is $500000 too much AAV per year, big deal. That just keeps us from signing Megna's or Chaputs. 

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

He is actually doing the work.  He is a journalist.  Most of the others are just opinion guys.....

Rick is always the one who actually talks to the people involved, whether players or agents, and gets first-hand info -- primary-source.  Wouldn't think it would be that difficult for the others to just pick up the phone and do the same.

5 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

May have just seemed that way because it looked to me the majority knew a deal would get done and most are probably not even surprised about the dollars or term. 

Just saying if you poll the forum, you'd probably find most are satisfied with the deal and little to complain about the fanbase about

That's all good - best news would be that both club and player are satisfied with the deal.    I am guessing that both will feel they didn't get everything they wanted so like any good negotiation with a fair outcome, both sides feel they didn't get quite everything.

10 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, pretty much.  In some cases it's trolling for attention, but others it's just some sort of compulsive psychosis rooted in a poor self-image.  When good news comes out and they persist anyway, feel sorry for them, frankly.

And some posters post about hockey and it's team and other only post about posters and the fans. 

Since you guys are referring to me, I've been on this forum for a long time and following this team a lot longer. Trying to accuse me of trolling is ridiculous and I've never so much as had a warning point in my entire time here as I treat my fellow posters and fans with respect regardless of difference of opinion

When it comes to being negative? I speak my mind and that's what a forum is for. I am positive about GM's I am confident in and not about GM's I am not. Nonis got it far worse from me than Benning ever will. 

I have no confidence in Benning as a GM and my posting will reflect that. If that upsets you to the point of accusing me of trolling or posting about my character or mental state when you don't know me at all, you may just want to put me on ignore and just stick to posting about hockey. 

Archived