The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

3 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Ala Colorado. Rebuild then tear down and rebuild again, only they did all that in 6 years.;)

Really, to me it looks like they started in 2009 with Matt Duchene at 3rd overall, then 2 years later Landeskog at 2nd overall.  Colorado had a bit of a boost picking 1st, 2nd, 3rd (not in that order) within a 5 year span starting in '09.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking more and more like the endless Edmonton model with out the first overalls.

The never ending rebuild with  mediocrity as the goal. 

This should be called the cap maxed fingers crossed we get the last wild card spot model. 

Safe to say the rebuild isn’t close to done the D group is awful and we are once again easy to play against add the fact we are a one line team that relies heavily on goaltending. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tracksuit said:

Looking more and more like the endless Edmonton model with out the first overalls.

The never ending rebuild with  mediocrity as the goal. 

This should be called the cap maxed fingers crossed we get the last wild card spot model. 

Safe to say the rebuild isn’t close to done the D group is awful and we are once again easy to play against add the fact we are a one line team that relies heavily on goaltending. 

Sounds like you're describing the Toronto model more. Only Toronto has been worse for much longer and with less success in the playoffs. If we can get our star/core players locked in at a decent amount, then we will be ahead of Toronto already in a much shorter time frame.

Our D group isn't complete yet for sure, but we have lots of pieces that could very well boost it already.

People say the rebuild is over every year since 2016 and it’s just not.

out best dman is 19

and we score 2 or less in over half or games

we

are

not

ready

but the fans are sick of waiting

Equals a toxic formula 

they can keep pumping up our future in commercials and have sportsnet analysts talk about how amazing we will be to keep hope and Ratings up but let’s see it, quit the talk and let’s see action

bennings had long enough no excuses 

22 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Sounds like you're describing the Toronto model more. Only Toronto has been worse for much longer and with less success in the playoffs. If we can get our star/core players locked in at a decent amount, then we will be ahead of Toronto already in a much shorter time frame.

Our D group isn't complete yet for sure, but we have lots of pieces that could very well boost it already.

our D still isnt complete. Tanev and Edler will need to be replaced. Myers is mediocre. We Have Hughes thats a bright spot and hopefully Rathbone can make the team soon. Juolevi's development is still up in the air. JB needs to draft a Dman this year and maybe also trade for a good young D. Would love to get one of Carolinas D, maybe slavin or pesce eventhough thats wishful thinking. 

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

People say the rebuild is over every year since 2016 and it’s just not.

out best dman is 19

and we score 2 or less in over half or games

we

are

not

ready

but the fans are sick of waiting

Equals a toxic formula 

they can keep pumping up our future in commercials and have sportsnet analysts talk about how amazing we will be to keep hope and Ratings up but let’s see it, quit the talk and let’s see action

bennings had long enough no excuses 

Its more to do with Greens bad coaching and Benning not surrounding the young core with a good supporting cast. When a 19 year old is your best player, it has more to do with lack of good supporting cast. Honestly we have a good young core but we have washed up vets that surround them. Look at Boston, how Bergeron, Marchand and Chara still have an impact while Benning signs 3rd or 4th line vets that dont necessarily make the team better. 

51 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

our D still isnt complete. Tanev and Edler will need to be replaced. Myers is mediocre. We Have Hughes thats a bright spot and hopefully Rathbone can make the team soon. Juolevi's development is still up in the air. JB needs to draft a Dman this year and maybe also trade for a good young D. Would love to get one of Carolinas D, maybe slavin or pesce eventhough thats wishful thinking. 

Well I did say it wasn't complete yet as well. However, I'd add to Hughes and Rathbone to include Tryamkin (I know I know, we will see if he returns, but the signs are pointing towards he will) and Woo. Juolevi is only a question mark of if he can stay healthy, otherwise he should be able to make it. Then you have the possibility of someone like Rafferty and Brisebois taking on a role with the big club. Someone like Utunen (who was a captain of the finish team and showed decently in the last world Junior) could come in under the radar as well.

Now of course that's projecting all the prospects to make it which we know won't be the case. Edler will be here for as long as we need/want him, so he can hold even a lesser role to let the prospects develop. Myers, whatever you think of him, will be here for the next while so he holds down a spot as well. I can't really see the rest of the current defense being here long term.

So like I said, I feel we may have some key pieces already to our future defense group, but if some don't pan out or we want a boost, then we can look into the trade market as we continue to add quality prospects that we can deal.

On 12/17/2019 at 7:48 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The Canucks are the only team with 3 player's in Brian Burke's top 12 young players of Canadian teams ...and QH/EP are rated #4 and 5 ...BB is #11

And they are still in the bottom third of the league and that was only Canadian teams some of which have not had 5 top ten draft picks.

On 12/17/2019 at 5:17 PM, Darius said:

Really, to me it looks like they started in 2009 with Matt Duchene at 3rd overall, then 2 years later Landeskog at 2nd overall.  Colorado had a bit of a boost picking 1st, 2nd, 3rd (not in that order) within a 5 year span starting in '09.

About right, then they tried a couple of years and then tanked, traded away some of those young players for more picks and turned it around in 3 years

I’m nervous. 

I know JB will sit on his hands until the TDL at the earliest and even then, what’s he going to do, part it out and rebuild still?

He flucked himself by moving from construction to production last summer when he spent house money to plug holes left over from the “management” of those last few years. Fine, good even, but he put new expectations on himself. 

Buckle-up, JB. 

Here comes the dog days of winter, injures and the Pacific getting stronger.

Since all the actual toughness is oft injured, what the hell, trade them all for all I care, JB. Build around your core with better versions of the support and key role players you have. 

Or don’t. 

This roster is still playoff-capable. All it has to do is get there and there could be magic. Remember though, there’s no penalties or PPs. Your finesse guys better hold up through that rough going. 

I’m on the fence. 

Sell.

Buy. 

I don’t care as long as they aren’t pussies anymore, that’s all I care about right now. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

16 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m nervous. 

I know JB will sit on his hands until the TDL at the earliest and even then, what’s he going to do, part it out and rebuild still?

He flucked himself by moving from construction to production last summer when he spent house money to plug holes left over from the “management” of those last few years. Fine, good even, but he put new expectations on himself. 

Buckle-up, JB. 

Here comes the dog days of winter, injures and the Pacific getting stronger.

Since all the actual toughness is oft injured, what the hell, trade them all for all I care, JB. Build around your core with better versions of the support and key role players you have. 

Or don’t. 

This roster is still playoff-capable. All it has to do is get there and there could be magic. Remember though, there’s no penalties or PPs. Your finesse guys better hold up through that rough going. 

I’m on the fence. 

Sell.

Buy. 

I don’t care as long as they aren’t pussies anymore, that’s all I care about right now. 

They have to be in a playoff spot and 8 points up to even maybe consider being a buyer, although I don't see how with the team capped out.

March is the back breaker, the schedule catches up to the Canucks.

The roster is not good enough for the playoffs, the team might be better than last year, which isn't hard but, other teams improved more and faster than the Nucks.

The injury excuse is just that, Sutter hardly played last year and had not been a huge contributor, Ferland never contributed, Graovac, even Demko, all these injuries are not core players, 3rd and 4th liners should be able to be replaced from the farm especially after stocking the shelves for 5+ years. Injuries are an excuse.

Magic? they can't win 4 out of 7 games in regulation now, can you imagine a 100 hits with hardly any penalties and playing until a team wins? Who backs up Markstrom, Demko? One off the mask and he is done.

A byproduct could also be that more vets will walk for nothing and the team will be losing more assets, Benning will have to trade more of the future to try to keep the team in a hope of a playoff spot only to blame injuries for not making it, not his fault you see, somebody else's

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

They have to be in a playoff spot and 8 points up to even maybe consider being a buyer, although I don't see how with the team capped out.

March is the back breaker, the schedule catches up to the Canucks.

The roster is not good enough for the playoffs, the team might be better than last year, which isn't hard but, other teams improved more and faster than the Nucks.

The injury excuse is just that, Sutter hardly played last year and had not been a huge contributor, Ferland never contributed, Graovac, even Demko, all these injuries are not core players, 3rd and 4th liners should be able to be replaced from the farm especially after stocking the shelves for 5+ years. Injuries are an excuse.

Magic? they can't win 4 out of 7 games in regulation now, can you imagine a 100 hits with hardly any penalties and playing until a team wins? Who backs up Markstrom, Demko? One off the mask and he is done.

A byproduct could also be that more vets will walk for nothing and the team will be losing more assets, Benning will have to trade more of the future to try to keep the team in a hope of a playoff spot only to blame injuries for not making it, not his fault you see, somebody else's

One thing to remember about this franchise is their propensity to either play up to match their opponent, or down to match them too. Meaning, they will match intensity or the capacity of who they happen to face. Good or bad. For playoff hockey, this is good. 

That is as predictable as Canucks Luck and Slump Buster Canucks. 

Any longtime fan can agree with those three phenomena as being fact. 

This team is cursed. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

One thing to remember about this franchise is their propensity to either play up to match their opponent, or down to match them too. Meaning, they will match intensity or the capacity of who they happen to face.

its as predictable as Canucks Luck and Slump Buster Canucks. 

Any longtime fan can agree with those three phenomena as being fact. 

This team is cursed. 

Canuck Luck has been a term we've used in our house for decades.  We laugh sometimes when it happens.   Stupid call.   Cloutier getting scored on from centre ice.   Lotto rules changing when that's about all we have to cheer for with a franchise that's basically starting from scratch with less to work with then a franchise under the old expansion rules etc etc.   Cursed...well I haven't got there yet.  One more decade is probably my limit though.

• Upvote 1