The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

18 hours ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

If you believe Benning is such a good drafter then how can you argue the trade?  Does his skill evaluation ability only work pre-drafted players?  I seriously hate this argument.  If he traded the 4th pick and Pedan for Pouliot then he decided that Pedan plus whoever he thinks might be available in the 4th round wasn't worth the possible upside of Pouliot. 

So yes... Benning is giving up a 4th round pick (10% chance at getting a serviceable NHL player) and a player who has a CHANCE at being a bottom pairing defenceman for someone he has seen play and has a CHANCE to be a solid top-4 defenceman. 

Give it up man its a freaking 4th round pick.

Btw... Sven and Granny say Hi.

Benning has rolled the dice on a few players. And if they don't pan out their soon a memory....Vey

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

I like Green's chances - like with Baertschi (and Virtanen) - of helping Pouliot find some lost confidence.

Allowing players to play builds confidence.

17 hours ago, SliteriousBlackbeard said:

If someone would have posted Pedan + a fourth round pick for Pouliot, people on here would have said your crazy never gonna happen....... Super excited!!!!

Now we are stuck with a team of first round picks. Edmonton took years to do this.

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

True. Plus I would think Pedan had the value of around a 5th.

All in all its a gamble you take every time.

17 hours ago, Sweathog said:

Like this trade, a guy who was unlikely to crack our lineup and a 4th, for a guy with a lot of upside who potentially could play a top 4 role is a deal Benning couldn't pass up imo. We're very lucky to acquire a young guy with so much talent for so cheap a price.

A bit concerned about the lack of physicality on the backend with Sbisa, Tryamkin, and now Pedan now gone, but that's a minor concern considering the stage of the rebuild we're now in. Hopefully Benning has plans to address this in the next couple of years.

Overall though, a very good deal.

And Calgary adds Yagr and their praised. We have a young team with a new coach. We will be in the play-offs and Green will win coach of the year. Gagne (whom you would think is also 37 not 27) has not hit his ceiling yet. Horvat, Gagne, Baer, Vanek, Boeser, Virtanen, Erickson(who will have a bounce back year) Granlund who will cont to get better.

Yeh don't be surprised if Rodin steps in and plays well at some point. 

I have watched every home Comets games since they landed in Utica. Pedan was on his way to the show his first season in Utica when he was very physical but after he got knocked out he was never the same. He was platooned most of last season and he was lucky to get that ice time. He had many miscues and played very lackadaisical. No way was he NHL ready based on last season. We will see him again as an opponent this season.

1 hour ago, TomatoPieFan said:

I have watched every home Comets games since they landed in Utica. Pedan was on his way to the show his first season in Utica when he was very physical but after he got knocked out he was never the same. He was platooned most of last season and he was lucky to get that ice time. He had many miscues and played very lackadaisical. No way was he NHL ready based on last season. We will see him again as an opponent this season.

Welcome to CDC.  Always great to have folks offering some Utica Comets insight.

I've heard it said before that Pedan didn't play the same after getting knocked out. 

Obviously the Canuck management didn't see him as NHL ready either.  Utica has better dmen this season, so he would probably get even fewer games.  Hopefully he'll have more success playing on the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

2 hours ago, TomatoPieFan said:

Absolutely right, though he did look good this pre-season.  I like Pedan, but I make that trade every single time

This trade is pretty meh. It really depends on how much you value that 4th rounder. The part that I don't understand was why not just claim Pokka and waive Pedan. Ryan Biech pointed this out. I think it makes more sense given the fact that we have more left-handed defenseman than right-handed defenseman everywhere in the system. It's not a bid deal.

I like Pouliot more than Pedan though.  

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This trade is pretty meh. It really depends on how much you value that 4th rounder. The part that I don't understand was why not just claim Pokka and waive Pedan. Ryan Biech pointed this out. I think it makes more sense given the fact that we have more left-handed defenseman than right-handed defenseman everywhere in the system. It's not a bid deal.

I like Pouliot more than Pedan though. 

Maybe the Canucks were not satisfied with just waiving Pedan? Trading him gets rid of a deadweight contract, one that you have no intention of using. So you trade him for a player that you can use. In this case, Pouliot is considered a known entity. Green coached him in Juniors where he was working his way toward a bright future, which for whatever reason, didn't happen. Or you could look at it in a sense that it gives Pedan another team to flourish on.

I agree with what some other posters have said, this trade demonstrates how calculated/slick Benning can be when he's got his GM hat on.

I like Pedan, but how can anyone argue that trading Pedan + 4th round pick (unknown player) for Pouliot (known entity) to be a bad trade. Even if this trade flops, at least we would be giving ourselves a chance at a potentially valuable offensive Dmen that is normally hard to come by.

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pitsburg Penquins do not agree with him.....   Do you think Pitsburg has a quality GM ?

If you're not going to bother addressing someone's counterpoints to your arguments, simply don't bother posting.

I'm a neutral poster that's been watching your exchanges and you have little to nothing to contribute. I get it, you like Pedan as a tough defenseman to play against. I do too. Fact is, he's gone. His numbers are not superior to Pouliot's. Pedan is UNPROVEN in the NHL, but so is Pouliot. Pouliot, as Warhippy pointed out, has way more points in the AHL than Pedan does.

If we're looking strictly at the AHL points, Pouliot is clearly better than Pedan.

That's it. Stop repeating your argument over and over. It's super annoying.

this is actually very, very smart deal-making by Jim Benning.

A 4th/5th round pick rarely, if ever, pans out at the NHL.  Compared to that, early 20-something first round/second round draftees who haven't gotten a whole lot of opportunities and who's development have flat-lined (as opposed to being exposed for being massively overrated/critical flaw in one aspect) are a much better bet.  Rutherford isn't a total moron, that is why Jim had to give him a 'career AHL-er defensemen with good size seemingly on the cusp of NHL' with a 4th round pick to sweeten the pot. 

A very,very good deal in the end.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

And Ehrhoff was coming up to waivers, or couldn't agree to a contract or something.  So, it's pretty similar.  Nothing given up (really) for a potentially dynamic offensive minded dman, who is still young.  

No ehrhoff was under contract for 2 more years at 3.1 million. It was a cap dump so theu could fit in danny heatley. (We also took lukowich's 1.65)

34 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If you're not going to bother addressing someone's counterpoints to your arguments, simply don't bother posting.

I'm a neutral poster that's been watching your exchanges and you have little to nothing to contribute. I get it, you like Pedan as a tough defenseman to play against. I do too. Fact is, he's gone. His numbers are not superior to Pouliot's. Pedan is UNPROVEN in the NHL, but so is Pouliot. Pouliot, as Warhippy pointed out, has way more points in the AHL than Pedan does.

If we're looking strictly at the AHL points, Pouliot is clearly better than Pedan.

That's it. Stop repeating your argument over and over. It's super annoying.

Too funny

last time i checked canucks were an nhl team. Not ahl

Nice ...

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

https://www.fanragsports.com/penguins-still-confident-derrick-pouliot/ 

I found this article to be pretty informative from july this year, how they thought pouliot would make the nhl this year and that he had the highest potential of any penguin prospect.

Pretty sure pedan is our top d prospect right now and most likely made our nhl squad

see how easy this is

hopefully we did not just trade away our chara

Archived