The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 07, 2017 | 7:00 PM PT | CBC

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

That doesn't even make sense though. That was the whole point of training camp - to earn it. They did and are rewarded by sitting in the press box. Can't earn $&!# 200 feet away from the ice surface

What if he practiced poorly since he made the cut. Green has his reason. 

It will be interesting to see the coaching strategies.

I look forward to actual in game adjustments which we haven't seen since AV.

Sitting Boeser is fine as long as he and the other young guys still see 50+ games each.

A rotating of guys out of the lineup might keep some intensity up If you base it on the previous game's play.

3 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Puzzling. Arguably the two best goal scorers on the Canucks are on the fourth line and in the press box respectively, making it worse is they were probably the two best players in preseason. 

Granny is one of the team's best 2-way players.  Being the 'checking line' I think Granny & Sutter will see a lot of ice time and probably pickup some points.

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Virtanen out, Boeser out.

So much for that whole "earn it" schtick everyone was going on about the last few months.

Virtanen is playing on the 3rd line.  Bo will probably get the next game.

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think you greatly underestimate and under appreciate the Sedins. What makes you think the Sedins will be matched against McDavid at all? Even if they are his speed won't account for much if the Sedins are cycling the puck in Edmonton's zone all night. They are hard to knock off the puck when they get that cycle going. Don't sleep on the Sedins cause they aren't young and speed demons.

I have been a huge Sedin fan over the years but they are not what they used to be. That "wizardry" is simply not there anymore. They are no longer able to sustain offensive pressure as the quicker teams will intercept their passes to each other and move the puck up the ice. Seen it numerous times in the last couple of years now. If they are on the #1 PP for 90 seconds or more they are definitely going to encounter McDavid at some point.

Last year everyone was saying the Sedins are still #1 line players because they have to face the opposing teams #1 lines. So that suddenly is not the case anymore?

I think with the other 10-11 forwards we have, we should be able to come up with other players to form a #1 line.

I can really appreciate all the enthusiasm on here, but lets face it, you all know deep down the Canucks can not beat the power house Oliers. Just don't get too disappointed when they lose tonight and no I'm not an Oliers fan, I'm just realistic. 

Just now, higgyfan said:

Granny is one of the team's best 2-way players.  Being the 'checking line' I think Granny & Sutter will see a lot of ice time and probably pickup some points.

Virts playing now? Because he was out as of yesterday.. 

8 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Virtanen out, Boeser out.

So much for that whole "earn it" schtick everyone was going on about the last few months.

If you bought a ticket then it worked.:blush:

10 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Puzzling. Arguably the two best goal scorers on the Canucks are on the fourth line and in the press box respectively, making it worse is they were probably the two best players in preseason. 

C'mon, really the only way for the Canucks to play competitively with this line up is the trap, to hope to out skill a 4th line and count on "game management" for extra PP's.:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

That doesn't even make sense though. That was the whole point of training camp - to earn it. They did and are rewarded by sitting in the press box. Can't earn $&!# 200 feet away from the ice surface

Earn, sure they did, an NHL payday rather than an AHL one. Oh, you thought they meant ice time, did anyone actually say that?;)

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think Sutter will complement Granlund well. I guess it makes sense to have four guys who can faceoffs in your bottom six though.

4 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I can really appreciate all the enthusiasm on here, but lets face it, you all know deep down the Canucks can not beat the power house Oliers. Just don't get too disappointed when they lose tonight and no I'm not an Oliers fan, I'm just realistic. 

Are you from the same group that said that the Canucks could not beat the California teams the last couple of years? In a cap era, any team can beat any team in one game. Otherwise, I could probably make myself a millionaire betting on games in Vegas. :lol:

24 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The Sedin's gift was never foot speed, they were not the slowest in the league. It was their delay and pass, nothing on the ice is faster than the puck it was just that they didn't have to delay (wait for the other Sedin) as long as they do now. They may not have the speed to play a skating game but if used in PP situations they could still be effective in as they age.

Have you not watched our ppover the past 5 years, with the sedins playing 90 seconds of the 120 penalty?  Even with the ma advantage, they struggle to gain the zone, to cycle or control the play.  The  nucks pp has been the worst I. The league over the past 5 years and the only constant  has been the twins. Their passing has diminished, their skating slowed and neither likes to shoot.  Teams pk units are salivating defending against them and the opportunity to score a shorty.  If mcdavid is used on the pk, he will feast on them.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Are you from the same group that said that the Canucks could not beat the California teams the last couple of years? In a cap era, any team can beat any team in one game. Otherwise, I could probably make myself a millionaire betting on games in Vegas. :lol:

no, I'm not

Archived