The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 07, 2017 | 7:00 PM PT | CBC

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, atillaMYhun said:

Generally agree, but what exactly has Burmistorv done in the NHL to deserve such deference?

I agree but I am thinking it has more of Boesers development then how good or bad Burmistrov is. Boeser will need to make his way up the ladder similar to Bo at a gradual pace. I would like to see him play too but I would like to see him develop the proper way more.

1 hour ago, thad said:

Travis giving the haters a head start this time lol. To be fair, his last 2 games weren’t that great. I can understand it from that point but still disagree with it though. Holding back the one thing Canucks fans have had to look forward to, especially after waiting 4 days into the season to play is kind of a kick in the nuts. Its one game and I’ll be over it tomorrow but this would be a deal breaker today if I lived in van. I’d save my money and go later when I get to see Brock.

Brock is not that speedy and vs the Oilers that could be pronounced.

Jake played Green's trap system last year and in reality with the skill difference the Nucks will probably try to play the trap to stay close. Jake's speed could help in exploiting a weakness of the Oiler's, their dmen, if the team can get on them quick enough to cause them to make a bad outlet pass.

Over 40 km/hr, there is no one that is that fast. Until now.  I expect to see a few hooking or slashing calls. I had to edit here because of Orr. Orr was incredibly fast, way faster than any other player on the ice I think he got clocked around 28 mph, highlight video just doesn't do him justice. I think Coffey got up there as well. But right now this kid is stunning.

A smart thing for the Canucks to do would be to not poke the bear, lay off McDavid, heck lay off most of hitting the last thing they want is to have to face speed and anger or start a hitting contest. The team just doesn't have players to play that kind of game for 60 minutes. Virtanen has had two shoulder injuries and has never been a fighter. There is only one Guddy and he can't play every shift and again he is not that much of a fighter.

Last year Tryamkin's speed and reach helped neutralize McDavid, this year.......well management is loading up on dmen maybe one of them?

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Don’t like the Boeser decision at all

Are we so bad that Dorsett can crack our lineup? Really? 

Boeser and Dorsett are not even remotely similar players. 

Dorsett is extremely effective on the forecheck, is faster than Brock and battles way harder.

Vanek out. Brock in.

That's how I'd like to see it. But hey, it's a long season

Vanek and Burmistrov were lousy down the stretch last year. Vanek was invisible in preseason and Burmistrov was so so. 

BB was surprisingly good in his 9 games at the end of last year and had a solid preseason.

Vanek is slow.

Yuck. Disappointed brock doesn't start. So much for earning your spot. 

11 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Why are so many making it out like "I can't believe Burmistrov is in the lineup and Boeser isn't".

One is a center, one is a winger. I can understand the Dorsett argument to a degree, but good lord.

Don't expect certain people to understand nuance. It's much easier to panic.

7 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Why are so many making it out like "I can't believe Burmistrov is in the lineup and Boeser isn't".

One is a center, one is a winger. I can understand the Dorsett argument to a degree, but good lord.

I am not surprised, but still very confused by the outrage. Like Green said, he's sitting for a night- not a month. Brock has a great career ahead of him; no one will even remember this when he scores his first goal this year.

56 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

If people aren't expecting things like this, they don't understand how Green coaches.

Rotating players in and out of the lineup is part of his coaching style. It's game one of the season, Boeser will be fine.

I was expecting this, that's the thing.

Im just mad because I really thought Boeser earned a spot for tonight over a guy like Vanek who, in my opinion, didn't do much at all in the preseason. 

I know Boeser will play in the next game, it's just that this seems like an odd scratching to me. I'm not sure what the justification is other than Boeser is the "rookie" of the group.

8 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

My ideal lineup:

Vanek - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Sutter - Granlund

Virtanen - Burmistrov - Gagner

Dorsett could dress against the tougher teams in place of Burmistrov or Gagner.

At the end of the year I would like to see this line up:

Baertchi - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen

Vanek - Granlund - Ericksson

Gagner - Sutter - Dorsett/Burmistrov

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Boeser and Dorsett are not even remotely similar players. 

Dorsett is extremely effective on the forecheck, is faster than Brock and battles way harder.

Vanek out. Brock in.

That's how I'd like to see it. But hey, it's a long season

If Dorsett went on waivers not a single team would touch him. Guaranteed. You are way over valuing a lifetime plumber 

1 minute ago, Ursel23 said:

Happy to get the season going! With Brock out I'm wondering what the line up is? 

Baertschi - Horvat - Vanek

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Granlund - Gagner - Virtanen

Burmistrov - Sutter - Dorsett

... Canucks win 3-2 OT

5 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

I am not surprised, but still very confused by the outrage. Like Green said, he's sitting for a night- not a month. Brock has a great career ahead of him; no one will even remember this when he scores his first goal this year.

I'd be pretty pissed if I forked out the dough for a ticket and they sit a goal scorer in favour of trappers. 

Media: you know everyone is really upset that you're not playing Virtanen, he's really fast.

Green: I don't care, I do what I want

Media: but he's fast, you know the Oilers are really fast right? You gotta play Virtanen!

Green: I'm not going to spend a lot of time acquiescing to everyone's opinion. Also, you realize if Virtanen goes in someone's gotta come out, right?

Media: Virtanen!!!

Green: Cool, I'll put in Virtanen, Boeser's out...anyone else got an opinion?

6 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

People also seem to forget that Horvat was a healthy scratch sometimes during his first season.

He's turned out just fine.

Archived