The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

That could only be proved if another coach was given the same resources and the same horrendous injuries.

I really can't understand, on the basis of one game, with different and more experienced personnel why so many posters have to make stupid and unappraised references to Desjardins.

It is not even a case of WD having poorer (in some cases players with no pro experience) players for these 2 years it is also the fact that playing such players can bring down the performance level of the others. There is no doubt imo that players like the Twins, Loui and Vbrata suffered from this.

You often make good points, but you really need to stop insulting people you disagree with.  When you do that, it completely nullified anything good on the rest of your post.

Civility goes a long way to productive debate.

I'm really excited for the Sedins.

I think this team has finally reached a watermark.

The past few years it's been the Sedins slogging along, so much weight on them, so much focus on them - as they age - to continue to sustain and produce.

They've been workhorses that have been overworked.

And now - two things can finally happen.

They can legitimately look upon their young teammates and realize this group is for real - they are taking the reins straight out of their hands.  They can enjoy the progression, and let some pressure off.

At the same time, the dynamic shifts - from on their shoulders - to lighting a different kind of fire under them.  Hey - we're not done - we can help this group as secondary producers and aren't ready to be put out to pasture.

I think it's all pretty compressed at the moment, but we're likely to see a resurrgence from them imo - unlikely to outproduce themselves in a reduced role / lesser minutes, but could perhaps be more effective in that reduced role - less energy having to be spent, less keying on them by opposition - and the 'insult' of being surpassed on the depth chart.

They're proud guys - I'm really looking forward to how this will effect them.  It's something new - something they've probably needed for a few years - and/but now that it's staring them in the face, it's also likely to fire them up on a certain level.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm really excited for the Sedins.

I think this team has finally reached a watermark.

The past few years it's been the Sedins slogging along, so much weight on them, so much focus on them - as they age - to continue to sustain and produce.

They've been workhorses that have been overworked.

And now - two things can finally happen.

They can legitimately look upon their young teammates and realize this group is for real - they are taking the reins straight out of their hands.  They can enjoy the progression, and let some pressure off.

At the same time, the dynamic shifts - from on their shoulders - to lighting a different kind of fire under them.  Hey - we're not done - we can help this group as secondary producers and aren't ready to be put out to pasture.

I think it's all pretty compressed at the moment, but we're likely to see a resurrgence from them imo - unlikely to outproduce themselves in a reduced role / lesser minutes, but could perhaps be more effective in that reduced role - less energy having to be spent, less keying on them by opposition - and the 'insult' of being surpassed on the depth chart.

They're proud guys - I'm really looking forward to how this will effect them.  It's something new - something they've probably needed for a few years - and/but now that it's staring them in the face, it's also likely to fire them up on a certain level.

I agree with this too. Even though they didn't get on the scoreboard last night, I thought the Sedins looked like they were having fun for the first time in a long time. They were feisty, and had a little bit of a spring in their step that's been missing for a while. They had a few really slick passing plays with Vanek too. I'm excited to see how a reduced role treats them throughout the season. Regardless of where we finish, I think they'll be out there having a good time again. Which is great to see.

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

I agree with this too. Even though they didn't get on the scoreboard last night, I thought the Sedins looked like they were having fun for the first time in a long time. They were feisty, and had a little bit of a spring in their step that's been missing for a while. They had a few really slick passing plays with Vanek too. I'm excited to see how a reduced role treats them throughout the season. Regardless of where we finish, I think they'll be out there having a good time again. Which is great to see.

I also think that Pettersson is the real deal - the guy is electric - so aside from the guys they currently have on the roster that are pushing them, there's also Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Lind, Gaudette - and some pretty good grit/middle-bottom six prospects in the pipeline as well (Gadjovich,McEwan, Molino are guys I also like).

I imagine the Sedins might want to be part of that.

Was a good game wasn't expecting that tbh, but what I was paying more attention too was the style of play this team was playing under this new coach and have to say I really enjoyed it haven't said that in a long time. Will the team be able to play like that all year long, I sure hope so, but time will tell. I like the up tempo style generating offense, it's exciting and enjoyable to watch, the coach gets a pass in my books so far after the first game, hope it continues!

The only negative which hasn't changed in a couple years is still Edler, and how damn slow he still is, hard to watch him play still, but other than that enjoyed everyone else.

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The only negative which hasn't changed in a couple years is still Edler, and how damn slow he still is, hard to watch him play still, but other than that enjoyed everyone else.

He's still slow, but he looked damn good last night in my opinion. I saw at least 3 or 4 blocked shots and a few sprawling pass breakups. They need to adapt his game to being more of a defensive defender, I think. He's still got good awareness in his own end but you can see the offensive ability drying up.

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Was a good game wasn't expecting that tbh, but what I was paying more attention too was the style of play this team was playing under this new coach and have to say I really enjoyed it haven't said that in a long time. Will the team be able to play like that all year long, I sure hope so, but time will tell. I like the up tempo style generating offense, it's exciting and enjoyable to watch, the coach gets a pass in my books so far after the first game, hope it continues!

They only negative which hasn't changed in a couple years is still Edler, and how damn slow he still is, hard to watch him play still, but other than that enjoyed everyone else.

Edler last night:

1 assist

+1

2 hits

2 blocks

a couple notable goal saving defensive plays

played 25 hard minutes.

did all this while getting 14.29% offensive zone starts and facing the league's most dangerous pair of elite forwards in Draisaitl and McDonalds.

What hasn't changed is people's blinders where Edler is concerned.

8 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

He's still slow, but he looked damn good last night in my opinion. I saw at least 3 or 4 blocked shots and a few sprawling pass breakups. They need to adapt his game to being more of a defensive defender, I think. He's still got good awareness in his own end but you can see the offensive ability drying up.

That's exactly what needs to be done, you nailed it with that comment. He needs to adapt to being a stay at home D not offense, he's not the same player he once was and he's way to slow to get back, it's actually annoying how he just hacks and wacks his stick at other forwards when they pass him because he can't catch up and then takes a penalty which is exactly what he did last night.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Edler last night:

1 assist

+1

2 hits

2 blocks

played 25 hard minutes.

did all this while getting 14.29% offensive zone starts and facing the league's most dangerous pair of elite forwards in Draisaitl and McDonalds.

If the past few years still hasn't changed your Homer glasses on him then I guess they never will, just because the stat sheet looks decent doesn't mean he's good still lol. -39 a couple years ago or -20 last year if you want to go by stats yeah my blinders must be still on and reading those stats wrong...

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If the past few years still hasn't changed your Homer glasses on him then I guess they never will, just because the stat sheet looks decent doesn't mean he's good still lol. -39 a couple years ago or -20 last year if you want to go by stats yeah my blinders must be still on and reading those stats wrong...

weak.  plus/minus alone is worthless out of context.

Complaining that he took one penalty last night is obsessing on a micro scale.

erm, Markstrom let in a bad/soft goal = not really the story.

like I said - every coach he's played under at the NHL level has used him in big minutes - as has the Swedish National team right to the present day. 

I guess your assessment however is better than all of them.

If we hadn't lost Trymakin (for the time being) - or Juolevi were older and further along in his growth/development I may be in favour of dealing Edler to get a good return while he's still a viable top pairing defenseman / top 4 on a contender - and maybe that's a possibility in due course - particularly if one of the younger LHD - or Pouliot emerges - but for the time being, Edler is clearly needed to play big minutes on this team, and he's still pretty damn effective in doing so.  What is key is that he's surrounded by 5 other good D - and a forward group that has his back - if that's the case he will be fine.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If we hadn't lost Trymakin (for the time being) - or Juolevi were older and further along in his growth/development I may be in favour of dealing Edler to get a good return while he's still a viable top pairing defenseman / top 4 on a contender - and maybe that's a possibility in due course - particularly if one of the younger LHD - or Pouliot emerges - but for the time being, Edler is clearly needed to play big minutes on this team, and he's still pretty damn effective in doing so.  What is key is that he's surrounded by 5 other good D - and a forward group that has his back - if that's the case he will be fine.

I don't think we are going to see Nik again... sure he had some frustrations but he turned down millions, which makes me wonder if the NHL speed and effort was too much for him? just a theory

Nice thing is it looks like we may have other options. I"m pretty excited to see if Green and Baumer can reignite Pouliott 

20 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The team only scored 182 goals, I'm not surprised a d that plays a lot of minutes had a minus rating.

40 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

History makes a fool of us all. 

Your explanation on Virtanen proves you are either living close to but not on planet earth.

As for Goldobin - yeah right, that is why he is in Utica where he will have to learn to work a hell of a lot harder before any coach will risk him (or is it a case you didn't notice how that Canucks team worked against the Oilers)

Tryamkin - an over developed sense of his own importance combined with the ability to think training and conditioning is gained from over eating, extending and celebrating ones honeymoon. By the way 17 mins av ice time is hardly benching a player.

Your knowledge of how coaches coach seems limited to me. Yes he did play the Sedins to their limit but let's face it he didn't have a lot of options, unlike Green.

Tryamkin is creating his own tragedy, and it would be sad to see him never play for the Canucks.  He had the potential to turn into one of the greatest and most popular Canucks in their sad long history. Sometimes I'd think "if he only knew how much fans liked him on the team" but I realized later that he doesn't give a crap. He really was a bit full of himself.

Think about it, if he had eaten the humble pie and gone down to Utica, despite his contract, he would have met and played for Travis Green for a number of weeks at least. Not only would Travis had been able to get to know and coach Nikita, but Nikita would have been able to begin his relationship with his future NHL coach early. An advantage that players that are acquired in trade or otherwise never played for Green would not have. It seemed pretty clear that he and Willie had an increasingly rough relationship. So if he would have also been patient at the end of the year he then would have found out Green was his new NHL coach as well. Which may have made a difference.

I wonder why he came over here at all. Was it just to prove to himself that he could play in the NHL? But it was never in his long term plans? That maybe he was just increasing his value for a new KHL contract?  He was by all accounts very nationalistic.  There was a report that he had chastised Goldobin for speaking to him in English instead of Russian in the locker room. Also the fact that he knew he wouldn't have a chance to play in the Olympics for Russia if he had stayed. He seemed more in line with Russia's hard stance on pot as well calling Vancouver a "junkie city". His wife, family and home country were more important it seems than playing in the best league in the world. Which is his choice, but sad for what might have been for our team.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think we are going to see Nik again... sure he had some frustrations but he turned down millions, which makes me wonder if the NHL speed and effort was too much for him? just a theory

Nice thing is it looks like we may have other options. I"m pretty excited to see if Green and Baumer can reignite Pouliott 

almost everything he's said refers back to wanting to play - wanting to play more.

yes, he was woefully out of shape when he arrived - Krutov style.  but he did bust it and get into condition.  he's huge and was notably gassed at many times last year (does not handle long shifts well) - but in his mind he deserved to play more.  I don't agree with him where the first 40 games are concerned, but I wish WD had worked him harder/more in the second half and gave him the minutes he was craving.  That is probably the single largest issue I have with WD - aside with sticking with Larsen too long (or not playing Markstrom enough).  Larsen was a reasonable experiment that didn't turn out - "you don't know until you know" as they say, but after about 10 games - we all knew.

Anyhow, I'm not sure - I think he could be back when he gets a bit older - if he kills it in the KHL and gets a thirst for a Cup - he'd probably also have more grounds to command big minutes.

but yeah, things are looking ok without him.  on the other hand, if he were here and working like the rest of the group, he'd be a key guy and would enable them to move someone like Edler - adding another piece or two to our futures pool - so his departure definitely comes at a cost, even if he comes back in the end.

38 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Edler last night:

1 assist

+1

2 hits

2 blocks

played 25 hard minutes.

he led the team by a full 5 minutes as well 

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

almost everything he's said refers back to wanting to play - wanting to play more.

yes, he was woefully out of shape when he arrived - Krutov style.  but he did bust it and get into condition.  he's huge and was notably gassed at many times last year (does not handle long shifts well) - but in his mind he deserved to play more.  I don't agree with him where the first 40 games are concerned, but I wish WD had worked him harder/more in the second half and gave him the minutes he was craving.  That is probably the single largest issue I have with WD - aside with sticking with Larsen too long (or not playing Markstrom enough).  Larsen was a reasonable experiment that didn't turn out - "you don't know until you know" as they say, but after about 10 games - we all knew.

Anyhow, I'm not sure - I think he could be back when he gets a bit older - if he kills it in the KHL and gets a thirst for a Cup - he'd probably also have more grounds to command big minutes.

but yeah, things are looking ok without him.  on the other hand, if he were here and working like the rest of the group, he'd be a key guy and would enable them to move someone like Edler - adding another piece or two to our futures pool - so his departure definitely comes at a cost, even if he comes back in the end.

I guess it all just doesn't quite add up, for me anyway. He may not have enjoyed the enforcer role either much. Fun while it lasted. 

Archived