The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I just think most people saw a different game than you did.  When the regular, mostly unbiased posters rave about the game, I tend to think it was a good one.  

Last night's game was a carbon copy of a Comets game.......that's how Greens teams play.

Fair points, no rebuttal.

Was a good game, I never said it wasn't. I'm just not so naive to not realize that the Coilers are a better team than the one that showed up on Saturday. One game never gets me into a clapping contest in here with the hoard, nor does a stinker get me kicking the team when it's down... unless it's about the team playing soft and scared, which I hope is a thing of the past. 

Yes I know there are 81 games left but it was nice to be on the right side of things. Our coach came in with a better game plan. Our team out chanced theirs. We stretched the ice and played a style that was very different from years past. 

Win or lose, if we play like this, I'm a happy fan. 

9 hours ago, stawns said:

DD was great and got under CMcd's skin, but he's getting too much credit for the shutdown, imo.  For me, it was all about Sutter and Granlund, they were the two best players on the ice last night and the main reason the Canucks came out of that game with two points.  

I'd prefer Granny to play an offensive role with Bo and Baer, but he's so smart, defensively, it's hard to argue against putting him in a shutdown role.  The versatility that runs up and down the lineup is something we haven't seen in Van in a very long time.

Yeh and Granlund hit the post last night as well, And McDavid had to chase Granlund down from behind more than once. That sure gassed Mcdavid. 

6 hours ago, nzan said:

Yup. All of that.

That said, I like that we have some extra depth for the inevitable injuries (both st forward and in d)....and Markstrom sure looked like a starter last night!

We have pretty amazing depth this season.

Defence can sustain 3 injuries and still be competitive with replacements available in Pouliot, Biega and Chatfield.

Forwards can sustain 6 injuries and still be competitive with replacements available in Boeser, Rodin, Goldobin, Boucher, Molino and MacEwan.

Not that we want to use it, but it's nice to not have our depth be career AHL'ers not quite good enough to make the NHL. When injuries inevitably strike we have a lot to work with.

I know it's been beaten to death..but maybe they're just waiting for Danny to hit 1K too(first twins, & all that)

Can't help feeling deadly-curious how well the twins(with their smarts/skill) would look on such a lineup...

Daniel - Bo - Eriksson (sometimes flip Danny & Baerschti, to keep'em guessing)

Granlund - Henrik - VIRTANEN ! (could flip Gagner & Granlund as well)..line 2 would be quite interesting

Baerschti - Burm - Boeser (3 B's buzzin')

Gagner - Sutter - Dorsett

^ Feel all these lines have some speed, skill & defensive conscience spread pretty evenly.

Hope we get to see something like this..might surprise opponents, & work better than we know.

11 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think they've missed him as much as I thought they were going to.  That said, as another poster pointed out, having him here gave Benning some chips to play to add to an already excellent prospect cupboard.  Tryamkin in the lineup probably meant that one of Edler or Tanev would have been moved at the draft, maybe even both.

You could be right but my personal opinion is Tryamkin was/is a long way off what Edler or Tanev will give us for at least the next 3 years, especially now that they have good help and the young guys have gained another years experience.

My increasing doubts about Tryamkin was firstly, he seemed pretty full of himself in a way that would be looked down on from a Canadian boy and secondly his reluctance to see himself as a "bully." 

I was quite annoyed at his reaction to Willie telling him to knock Marchand about as well as his "naive soul searching" as to why Benn wanted to fight him.

As I say there are plenty of Tryamkins out there with better attitudes and with more conviction about the use of their physical advantages and I don't mean fighting.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Really loved watching the big guy play.  I thought he was a beauty, and really smart on the ice too.  I think his new wife, who got pregnant, missed home.  He, as a husband and soon to be father, did the right thing.  He got his wife home, and close to familiar surroundings.  He gave up a lot (as the article points out) for his family.  I miss watching him play, but feel he's a man for other newly wed young men to emulate.  Always put your family first.

Really?

Tell that to all our servicemen who are 6 months and more away from home and their families. Tell it to a great many players and coaches who spend big parts of the season away from their kids and wives. How many wives have kids in foreign countries who stay in foreign countries and have all the difficulties of coping with a lot more than women in Canada do.

It's pro sport and Tryamkin chose to come here and earn big bucks. It's a woman's job to support her husband in such circumstances, she knew she was marrying a pro hockey player who had his heart set on playing in the NHL (or did he?)

The guy was away from home for a eastern tours which was balanced by equally long stints in Vancouver - what is the big deal. Did he have it any better travelling in Russia?

k5Dzhsv.png

As for all the other bollocks about being sat in the last quarter. He's not the f---g coach, he carries no responsibility for a result other than to put in a good performance as part of the team. Do we hear Biega complaining about how he is utilised. 

Frankly the more I here from this guy the more he seems like a big spoiled kid who expected to come over here and run things his way. It is disrespectful to my team and Canadian hockey.

What is almost as annoying is how easily, yet again, some of our fans would rather cr-p all over this club, it's coaches, owners and management by drinking down every disgruntled players whining complaints like koolaid than see a situation for what it is. Yet another messed up self entitled immature player trying to justify his shortcomings as a man and a pro hockey player.

30 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Really?

Tell that to all our servicemen who are 6 months and more away from home and their families. Tell it to a great many players and coaches who spend big parts of the season away from their kids and wives. How many wives have kids in foreign countries who stay in foreign countries and have all the difficulties of coping with a lot more than women in Canada do.

It's pro sport and Tryamkin chose to come here and earn big bucks. It's a woman's job to support her husband in such circumstances, she knew she was marrying a pro hockey player who had his heart set on playing in the NHL (or did he?)

The guy was away from home for a eastern tours which was balanced by equally long stints in Vancouver - what is the big deal. Did he have it any better travelling in Russia?

k5Dzhsv.png

As for all the other bollocks about being sat in the last quarter. He's not the f---g coach, he carries no responsibility for a result other than to put in a good performance as part of the team. Do we hear Biega complaining about how he is utilised. 

Frankly the more I here from this guy the more he seems like a big spoiled kid who expected to come over here and run things his way. It is disrespectful to my team and Canadian hockey.

What is almost as annoying is how easily, yet again, some of our fans would rather cr-p all over this club, it's coaches, owners and management by drinking down every disgruntled players whining complaints like koolaid than see a situation for what it is. Yet another messed up self entitled immature player trying to justify his shortcomings as a man and a pro hockey player.

Dude it's not a pissing contest to see who has it worst.  Obviously yes there are super sad situations where families are separated for periods of time and this isn't one of those situations. However you can't blame him for doing what's best for his family if that is the reason why he left.

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Dude it's not a pissing contest to see who has it worst.  Obviously yes there are super sad situations where families are separated for periods of time and this isn't one of those situations. However you can't  blame him for doing what's best for his family e him if that is the reason why he left.

"Pissing contest"  - hardly applicable in this context.

I'm blaming him for not being more mature. 

He wants all the treatment due to an adult (going by his constant whining) but appears to be able to shirk the responsibilities. People get married and move all over the world to much worse places than Vancouver.

I unlike you it seems, am not prepared to absolve him of thinking and acting like an adult pro sportsman.

10 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

"Pissing contest"  - hardly applicable in this context.

I'm blaming him for not being more mature. 

He wants all the treatment due to an adult (going by his constant whining) but appears to be able to shirk the responsibilities. People get married and move all over the world to much worse places than Vancouver.

I unlike you it seems, am not prepared to absolve him of thinking and acting like an adult pro sportsman.

Yes, people get married and move to many places where the spouse is lonely and miserable. And many marriages break up over this. Making a career choice that makes your spouse happy is far from immature, especially when you are still making enough money to support your family very comfortably.

If Tram went back to Russia because of ice time, I would agree he was immature. If  he did it to make his wife happy, which is much more plausible, he was being an adult. Crapping on him for that choice would be immature.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Really?

k5Dzhsv.png

tryamkin's wife is, if memory serves, a doctor. she couldn't work here because she doesn't speak english. is it not also a husband's job to support his wife's career goals?

6 minutes ago, tas said:

tryamkin's wife is, if memory serves, a doctor. she couldn't work here because she doesn't speak english. is it not also a husband's job to support his wife's career goals?

If that's what is then he should just say so. His constant excuses for leaving vary from ice time, to the city reeks, are just that excuses. As long as he's happy that's great. 

I just wouldn't hold my breath him ever playing in a Canucks jersey again. 

Honestly, I'd rather see a kid like Troy Ring from the Trail Smoke Eaters get a PTO, you know he'd bust his butt at training camp, wouldn't show up out of shape. And would probably more than happy to play in Utica. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If that's what is then he should just say so. His constant excuses for leaving vary from ice time, to the city reeks, are just that excuses. As long as he's happy that's great. 

I just wouldn't hold my breath him ever playing in a Canucks jersey again. 

Honestly, I'd rather see a kid like Troy Ring from the Trail Smoke Eaters get a PTO, you know he'd bust his butt at training camp, wouldn't show up out of shape. And would probably more than happy to play in Utica. 

he never used the reeking like pot thing as an excuse or reason for leaving. his interviewer asked him if vancouver's reputation as a pot city was accurate and nikita responded in the affirmative. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

he never used the reeking like pot thing as an excuse or reason for leaving. his interviewer asked him if vancouver's reputation as a pot city was accurate and nikita responded in the affirmative. 

But complaining about ice time, and the team fires the coach, so did he figure Green wouldn't give him a chance? 

Didn't Hodgson get moved out because he complained about ice time?

As I said if his real reason is his wife couldn't find work as a doctor because of her English, just say so.

This makes the victory that much sweeter :)

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/kailer-yamamoto-out-of-edmonton-oilers-line-up-against-the-hapless-vancouver-canucks

Game Day 2, Oilers vs Canucks

This in on the Edmonton Oilers line-up tonight, Jack Michaels of the Oilers broadcast radio team tweeting the following: “Lineup notes… Yamamoto won’t play tonight. Pakarinen in on 4th line with Khaira/Letestu. Talbot starts, same D-pairings….Distinct possibility Kassian stays on line with Lucic/RNH tonight at VAN.”

And from Bob Stauffer: “Oilers lines:
Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Kassian/Yamamoto
Caggiula-Strome-Jokinen
Khaira-Letestu-Pakarinen”

Vancouver will try to get a checking line led by Brandon Sutter on against the McDavid monster line. That would leave Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Milan Lucic and Zack Kassian most likely to match up against Bo Horvat.

“I like Kass there now & Iiro hasn’t played in 10 days,” Todd McLellan told the media in regards to the line-up change.

The moves make sense. Vancouver should be amped up for its home opener, so who better to withstand their intensity than Kassian, a fierce veteran who will take on a more prominent role on RNH’s wing? For his part, Yamamoto looked a bit overwhelmed against Calgary.

screen-shot-2017-10-07-at-1-32-05-pm.png

Hard to feel any pity for the Canucks

The Vancouver Canucks are coming off a season where they finished 29th overall in the National Hockey League, scoring 178 goals and giving up 241. 

Edmonton Oilers fans know this kind of team. It’s the kind of team the Oilers were from 2009 to 2015, a wretched squad full of promise, question marks and holes. They have a new coach in Travis Green and a bunch of young forwards who may or may not be ready for NHL prime time, including Brock Boeser, who led the team in scoring in pre-season but won’t be playing tonight, Jake Virtanen and Nikolay Goldobin.

Of course, the Canucks also have the dynamic young Bo Horvat, promising Markus Granlund and Troy Stetcher, strong two-way winger Loui Eriksson, checking Brandon Sutter, tough Erik Gudbranson, veteran d-men Alexander Edler, Ben Hutton and Chris Tanev and the aging Brothers Sedins. They’ve also added in a handful of attackers on their second, third, fourth or fifth NHL lives, players who have yet to stick in one place including Sam Gagner, Sven Baertschi, Alexander Burmistrov and Michael Del Zotto. In net is the massive Jacob Markstrom, a huge man made all the huger by his gargantuan goalie equipment. 

Ed Willes of the Vancouver Province had this to say about the Canucks young veteran core: “They’re no longer a kid finding his way in the world’s toughest league but a full-blown NHLer judged by the game’s highest standard.

“Hutton has now arrived at that point in his career. As it happens, so has Bo Horvat, Sven Baertschi, Markus Granlund, Troy Stecher, Erik Gudbranson and even the goaltending tandem of Jacob Markstrom and Anders Nilsson. All are 25 and under — OK the goalies are both 27 but that’s under 25 in real years — and all have demonstrated some promise to date. But promise is no longer good enough for the Canucks. Any hope they have of extricating themselves from the pit in which they dug themselves rests on those players taking a collective step in the next phase of their careers.”

It will be a good year for the Canucks if they hit 70 points, a great year if they hit 80.

As an Oilers fan who watched this same movie up close for many years, I’d like to have a heart for Canucks fans, and what they’re likely to go through this year, but the memories of repeated dirty play from Ryan Kesler, Alex Burrows, Maxim Lapierre, Kevin Bieksa are too fresh for me feel empathy.

Despite the brilliance of the Sedin brothers, those top Canucks teams of the recent past had so many cheap shot artists they were a hard group to like, let alone admire. I should add that I say this as someone who enjoys when an Oilers player gets tough or dirty now and then. I like it when Zack Kassian goes maximum predator, but I don’t expect other fans from other teams to like it.

For someone who covers the Oilers he sure has a short memory - Ken Linesman, Glenn Anderson, Marty McSorley I could go on. Hence why I will never cheer for the Coilers and their fan base. 

10 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Fair points, no rebuttal.

Was a good game, I never said it wasn't. I'm just not so naive to not realize that the Coilers are a better team than the one that showed up on Saturday. One game never gets me into a clapping contest in here with the hoard, nor does a stinker get me kicking the team when it's down... unless it's about the team playing soft and scared, which I hope is a thing of the past. 

I get what you're saying though, it's one game.  

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So you want him to throw his wife under the bus as a scapegoat?

31 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

This makes the victory that much sweeter :)

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/kailer-yamamoto-out-of-edmonton-oilers-line-up-against-the-hapless-vancouver-canucks

As an Oilers fan who watched this same movie up close for many years, I’d like to have a heart for Canucks fans, and what they’re likely to go through this year, but the memories of repeated dirty play from Ryan Kesler, Alex Burrows, Maxim Lapierre, Kevin Bieksa are too fresh for me feel empathy.

Despite the brilliance of the Sedin brothers, those top Canucks teams of the recent past had so many cheap shot artists they were a hard group to like, let alone admire. I should add that I say this as someone who enjoys when an Oilers player gets tough or dirty now and then. I like it when Zack Kassian goes maximum predator, but I don’t expect other fans from other teams to like it.

This quote kills me. Rattles off the standard Oilers "dirty Canucks" mantra while being completely oblivious to the fact that the guy he's praising at the end TOPPED THE LIST of "dirty Canucks" not that long ago. Couple that with the near universal belief here that every clean, hard check is a "liberty taken against our players" that requires a nuclear response, and you get the insanity of the "Manifest Destiny" Oilers fanbase. That's not the entire fanbase, of course. But it's the faction that the local media plays to.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Really?

k5Dzhsv.png

I loved Try, but I agree he's coming as pretty entitled, expecting to be gifted ice time.  That said, I think a lot of that comes from sloppy translations of interviews.  Ultimately, he's a Russian kid who wanted to return to his home country to play and I believe thats the reason, as opposed to using the KHL as leverage.

Would you feel the same way about a Canadian kid returning to Canada after playing in the KHL?

Archived