The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Imagine he & Willie D arguing about hockey in a donut shop.

There's the makings of a good hockey joke in this...

I can see Laforge saying the guys need to run the bleachers, in full gear, after every loss, while Willie D sits quietly, staring at his wallet sized pictures of Vey and Megna.  :lol:

34 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

There are a lot of twitter posts in the Tryamkin thread going over what he's said about his time here. Feel free to check it out. Pretty informative.

One thing he did say though was that he was open to returning to the Canucks, but not before his current contract in the KHL is up. 

Gotta check, interesting guy!

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can see Laforge saying the guys need to run the bleachers, in full gear, after every loss, while Willie D sits quietly, staring at his wallet sized pictures of Vey and Megna.  :lol:

In rushes ol' Roger with his videotapes, & hagglin' Harry wants to roll up the rim, to win! Shop is likely owned by the big Irishman.

+1 Alfy..but I need the hourglass turned.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Dorsett's never been one to shy away. Definitely nice to have Guddy around for a lot of the guys, but Dors takes care of his own business.

He might not win, but he always lands a few. Don't care you are, getting punched hurts.

Tom Petty wrote that 80's tune for him :^)

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Really loved watching the big guy play.  I thought he was a beauty, and really smart on the ice too.  I think his new wife, who got pregnant, missed home.  He, as a husband and soon to be father, did the right thing.  He got his wife home, and close to familiar surroundings.  He gave up a lot (as the article points out) for his family.  I miss watching him play, but feel he's a man for other newly wed young men to emulate.  Always put your family first.

Forgot about his new wife and child, so even more to the point about being closer to home.

I just read the article coach Willie thought Philip Larsen was NHL material, this is all you needed to know about Desjardins.

6 hours ago, Fantomex said:

Not only do we not have a legitimate first line, we don't have a true starter (on paper), nor do we have a legitimate #1 d-man. If we're going to push for a playoff spot this year, it's going to be done with (like you said) 4 lines that contribute each and every night. Is that achievable? Certainly. However, we're only an injury or two away from being in the running for the pole-position in the lottery. If they can bring the same effort we seen last night over the course of the next 81 games, we certainly could be pushing for a wildcard spot. Either way, the style in which they played last night has me excited for the year, regardless of where we finish.

Yup. All of that.

That said, I like that we have some extra depth for the inevitable injuries (both st forward and in d)....and Markstrom sure looked like a starter last night!

4 hours ago, stawns said:

DD was great and got under CMcd's skin, but he's getting too much credit for the shutdown, imo.  For me, it was all about Sutter and Granlund, they were the two best players on the ice last night and the main reason the Canucks came out of that game with two points.  

I'd prefer Granny to play an offensive role with Bo and Baer, but he's so smart, defensively, it's hard to argue against putting him in a shutdown role.  The versatility that runs up and down the lineup is something we haven't seen in Van in a very long time.

The thing I like with Granlund on a line with Sutter and Dorsett is exactly that he has offensive skills, makes that line a threat to score when they are hard on the forecheck and force the other team to cough up the puck.  Loved the game last night, can't remember when I was that excited for a Canucks game.  So sweet to see every line flying and working hard all over the ice.  I was cringing a bit when the Sedins were out in the last few minutes of the game but they were really backchecking hard and supporting the puck, fighting hard on the boards to get the puck out across the blueline.  

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Imagine, a forum where fellow fans can say what they think. 

Other than Horvat's goals, there weren't a ton of offensive wow moments. 

Our D was victimized on a few occasions. I was active in the threads during the game and praised the team. You're making some assumptions, just to make this superfan point. 

Marky played very well. 

Jake played well. 

The "checking line" did well.

DD won them the game, imo.

This wasn't a dominating Canucks effort as much as it was that the Coilers sat in the box and their Lord and Savior was DD's victim out there. Credit goes to the winner. They out played the Coilers and wanted that win. 

My original point: don't get used to it. And you gotta cry to me about it? 

I just think most people saw a different game than you did.  When the regular, mostly unbiased posters rave about the game, I tend to think it was a good one.  

Last night's game was a carbon copy of a Comets game.......that's how Greens teams play.

6 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Was a good game wasn't expecting that tbh, but what I was paying more attention too was the style of play this team was playing under this new coach and have to say I really enjoyed it haven't said that in a long time. Will the team be able to play like that all year long, I sure hope so, but time will tell. I like the up tempo style generating offense, it's exciting and enjoyable to watch, the coach gets a pass in my books so far after the first game, hope it continues!

The only negative which hasn't changed in a couple years is still Edler, and how damn slow he still is, hard to watch him play still, but other than that enjoyed everyone else.

For them to keep it up, the coach needs to use the depth wisely. This might mean sitting guys like the Sedins, Dorsett and Edler and playing others like Boeser, Pouliout, Virtanen in their place to give them rest in order to keep it up.

2 hours ago, Trebreh said:

does anybody have the video of our opening ceremony? 

Very good video...liked how they showed the different eras and matched the music for that era. Very well done...brought back memories of Bobby Lalonde, Andre Boudrias, Pat Quinn, Orland Kurtanbach to Stan Smyl, Harold Snepts, and so on.

It's a video on the Canuck webpage.

38 minutes ago, Pete M said:

For them to keep it up, the coach needs to use the depth wisely. This might mean sitting guys like the Sedins, Dorsett and Edler and playing others like Boeser, Pouliout, Virtanen in their place to give them rest in order to keep it up.

Yep.  I was thinking that myself.  We saw how Tort's up tempo style wore on the guys.  Now, Torts didn't get any where near last nights enthusiasm out of our guys.  He didn't seem to be particularly careful with the ice time as I remember though and yet they wore down after a while. 

What I had been thinking though is that especially in the case of the Sedins, at this point in their careers, 15-16 mins a night should be their limit.  This means there would be another line playing top line minutes.  Horvat is capable, so in my opinion is Eriksson,  Baertschi, I don't know.  But honestly, this year we will be seeing a lot of questions like this being answered.  This is the nature of this season imo.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

DD was great and got under CMcd's skin, but he's getting too much credit for the shutdown, imo.  For me, it was all about Sutter and Granlund, they were the two best players on the ice last night and the main reason the Canucks came out of that game with two points.  

I'd prefer Granny to play an offensive role with Bo and Baer, but he's so smart, defensively, it's hard to argue against putting him in a shutdown role.  The versatility that runs up and down the lineup is something we haven't seen in Van in a very long time.

I think that we see Granny on this line only on special occasions.  The Leafs might be another.  For most games we can see him on a more offensive line like with the Sedins or centering a line with Boeser or Goldobin.

I can't wait until next game v Ottawa will be something different imo.  Boeser in, Virtanen in.  Lord knows who sits out.

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Yep.  I was thinking that myself.  We saw how Tort's up tempo style wore on the guys.  Now, Torts didn't get any where near last nights enthusiasm out of our guys.  He didn't seem to be particularly careful with the ice time as I remember though and yet they wore down after a while. 

What I had been thinking though is that especially in the case of the Sedins, at this point in their careers, 15-16 mins a night should be their limit.  This means there would be another line playing top line minutes.  Horvat is capable, so in my opinion is Eriksson,  Baertschi, I don't know.  But honestly, this year we will be seeing a lot of questions like this being answered.  This is the nature of this season imo.

As the season takes its toll on other teams, Green can (if he has the balls) rest the Sedins and other vets if he develops the young guys by giving them TOI under the guidance of the vets and their (vet's) limited ice. Give the young guys some rein by giving the vets a rest day here and there especially on the long road trips where there are back to back games and long travel days or, like last game, where there is a match up to make. Win by committee now that they have more talented depth players.

Slow clap for TG for playing Dorsett with Granlund and Sutter...the latter two were a force to contend with and so was Dorsett...totally took McDavid off his game to a point where McDavid was only thinking about getting back at Dorsett. This roster match up can work well with others as the season progresses. 

However playing Boeser the last game may have also worked, we will never know...the main thing is that the team won with the roster that was put on the ice and everyone played well.

20 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The new face of Canucks hockey. 

Oh Blunt, how I miss you over the summer. Remembering all the times this stud of a Gud player had to be defended. Love having him.  Hope we can lock him up for a good deal for both parties.  Kid has all the intangibles.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Very good video...liked how they showed the different eras and matched the music for that era. Very well done...brought back memories of Bobby Lalonde, Andre Boudrias, Pat Quinn, Orland Kurtanbach to Stan Smyl, Harold Snepts, and so on.

Nice video although throughout I couldn't help wonder how much better it would be with a few Cup clips...They at least had the courage to not overtly reference the cup runs.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

oh i meant the player and staff introduction ^_^

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

As the season takes its toll on other teams, Green can (if he has the balls) rest the Sedins and other vets if he develops the young guys by giving them TOI under the guidance of the vets and their (vet's) limited ice. Give the young guys some rein by giving the vets a rest day here and there especially on the long road trips where there are back to back games and long travel days or, like last game, where there is a match up to make. Win by committee now that they have more talented depth players.

Slow clap for TG for playing Dorsett with Granlund and Sutter...the latter two were a force to contend with and so was Dorsett...totally took McDavid off his game to a point where McDavid was only thinking about getting back at Dorsett. This roster match up can work well with others as the season progresses. 

However playing Boeser the last game may have also worked, we will never know...the main thing is that the team won with the roster that was put on the ice and everyone played well.

I think TG has proved that he has stones. :)

Archived