The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess it all just doesn't quite add up, for me anyway. He may not have enjoyed the enforcer role either much. Fun while it lasted. 

I don't know.

He was just a young guy.  22.  Out of water in a new country - doesn't speak the language.  Proud of where he's from.  Family that apparently prefered to have him home.

I remember when I was 22 lol.  Definitely even more hard headed than I still am.

Things change.  I'm keeping a measured optimism that he'll check back in in a couple years.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know.

He was just a young guy.  22.  Out of water in a new country - doesn't speak the language.  Proud of where he's from.  Family that apparently prefered to have him home.

I remember when I was 22 lol.  Definitely even more hard headed than I still am.

Things change.  I'm keeping a measured optimism that he'll check back in in a couple years.

I hope thats correct. I suppose it is the KHL too so his team could fold at any moment... 

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know.

Interesting piece in Canucks Army on an interview with Tryamkin by a Russian reporter. Don't know if it has been posted here:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/09/25/nikita-tryamkin-speaks-on-desjardins-vancouver-and-grass/

"As it concerns the potential for a return to Vancouver, it doesn’t sound like Tryamkin is in any hurry. When asked about the fact that the Canucks maintain his NHL rights at the expiry of Tryamkin’s three-year pact with Yekaterinburg Automobilist, he had this to say. Try and bear with the Google translation (more on that later).

“What, did not go up, did it? Well, what – I will not say that the ‘Canucks’ is a bad team or something. However, I can not say that I will go overseas in three years or, conversely, I will not go. Maybe I’ll have a brick on my head, and I’ll stay a fool. Let’s see how I’ll play by that time. If I need it, and we’ll get along under some conditions – everything can be. But this is still far away”.

He may just keep that brick on his head and stay a fool.

6 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Made a bet with an oilers fan in my class; Loser of this game has to wear the others team jersey for the day.

He gets off easy though because I would never let a slimy coilers fan put on my Canucks jersey.

Nice one.

i won beer last night.

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Interesting piece in Canucks Army on an interview with Tryamkin by a Russian reporter. Don't know if it has been posted here:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/09/25/nikita-tryamkin-speaks-on-desjardins-vancouver-and-grass/

"As it concerns the potential for a return to Vancouver, it doesn’t sound like Tryamkin is in any hurry. When asked about the fact that the Canucks maintain his NHL rights at the expiry of Tryamkin’s three-year pact with Yekaterinburg Automobilist, he had this to say. Try and bear with the Google translation (more on that later).

“What, did not go up, did it? Well, what – I will not say that the ‘Canucks’ is a bad team or something. However, I can not say that I will go overseas in three years or, conversely, I will not go. Maybe I’ll have a brick on my head, and I’ll stay a fool. Let’s see how I’ll play by that time. If I need it, and we’ll get along under some conditions – everything can be. But this is still far away”.

Sounds like Shakespearean language, just a bit more modern

7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Pretty clearly says he doesn't know one way or the other - leaving it open.

Which I think is promising given how fresh the decision to go home is.

Two games against the Oiler's....the first with us missing 4 of our top players...the second with the Oilers already on a roll...Horvat outplayed Mcd....

We are a playoff team that can't even get a Calder candidate or the MVP of the SHL into the lineup...on paper this looks like a playoff team...

...on the ice it looks like Cup contender...

...In Green we trust...we will surprise every team until we get to 10-0 or so....81 more wins for a perfect season....

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Doesn't sound like you watched the game.   Sounds like you're looking at shot totals.

Brossoit absolutely stoned Vancouver - he was outstanding / lights out. 

Van had a whole lot of grade A scoring chances - more than Edmonton - and Brossoit was equal to it.

Markstrom was also outstanding - but didn't face repeated breakaways and breakdowns from his blueline.

The game could have easily been 4,5,6 to 1 in the second period.

Brossoit was a boss and kept them in it - almost gave them a chance to pull a point or two out of that game.

Markstrom allowed them to free wheel and play an up tempo game because he had their backs...

Brossoit plays for Edmonton therefore, he can't win games for the Nucks.

Markstrom will continue to keep this team in games...just like he did in Utica playing with an offensively challenged team and taking them to the Finals.

Great to have a coach now that recognizes this.   

Miller who?

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Markstrom allowed them to free wheel and play an up tempo game because he had their backs...

Brossoit plays for Edmonton therefore, he can't win games for the Nucks.

Markstrom will continue to keep this team in games...just like he did in Utica playing with an offensively challenged team and taking them to the Finals.

Great to have a coach now that recognizes this.   

Miller who?

Ah, I see your point - and wouldn't argue with it.  I think Markstrom is great - and probably could have had a larger role the past few years, but water under the bridge.

He looks ready - and Nilsson doesn't hurt to have either.

I would say though that it was a team win.  The whole team, and perhaps particularly the Sutter Dorsett Granlund line - performed extremely well.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Granlund had a real strong game. He is Green's type of player in that he can play anywhere. 

Kinda funny how many have the Canucks figured out after one game. I am sure Green would say he does not. The  emotional need for self confirmation never ceases to amaze.  

Good points.  Granlund on the checking line but he has that full 200' game.  That "4th line" may end up putting up some points.  

People will be scratching their heads when Green plays the Sedins 20 minutes in a game. TOI will depend on what they (and others) are doing and what the situation is.  Plus, I suspect that there will be some different line mates for the twins throughout the year.  They played pretty well last night but didn't have the fore check that the other lines had can't deny that.  Maybe they need someone with a little more pace and a shot. New look Virtanen? Granlund? In general, twins' ice time will be down.  Green really wants to play 4 lines interchangeably if he can. I suppose most coaches want the same.   

Hoping Hutton has a breakout season this year.  He can play offense and he will get much more opportunity to do so this year.  He may have the kind of improved season Horvat had last year.  He looks stronger on his feet to me this year.  He had that one stick miscue that led to Kassian breakaway but Green will get him going and take the hesitation out of his game he had last year.  

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't think 'systems' are to blame for injuries - particularly once you start to break each injury down into context.

There's a lot more too it - including simple crap luck, exhaustion/scheduling, lack of depth, etc.  I thought the Canucks should have signed a veteran shutdown/faceoff center the past two offseasons at the very least - however I also believe they were taking a calculated risk that if they ran into injuries, they'd fall off - not a big deal in transition seasons.

I think Green is a great coach - and he's also gifted with far, far better circumstances than his predecessor.

He has a volume of youth pushing - and he has reasonably quality veteran depth - he'll have more to draw upon if they run into injuries.

I agree , noting that "systems" are not fully to blame. I fully buy into the concept in which liberties/cheap shots will not being taken by teams knowing that now consequences will be paid. this comes only by a complete player buy in this phillosophy. It may not be here as of yet but we are getting close. Hutty last year, Stetcher last night, just the game played in general last night is pointing in that direction. Less Liberties taken= less Canuck injuries endured.

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

almost everything he's said refers back to wanting to play - wanting to play more.

yes, he was woefully out of shape when he arrived - Krutov style.  but he did bust it and get into condition.  he's huge and was notably gassed at many times last year (does not handle long shifts well) - but in his mind he deserved to play more.  I don't agree with him where the first 40 games are concerned, but I wish WD had worked him harder/more in the second half and gave him the minutes he was craving.  That is probably the single largest issue I have with WD - aside with sticking with Larsen too long (or not playing Markstrom enough).  Larsen was a reasonable experiment that didn't turn out - "you don't know until you know" as they say, but after about 10 games - we all knew.

Anyhow, I'm not sure - I think he could be back when he gets a bit older - if he kills it in the KHL and gets a thirst for a Cup - he'd probably also have more grounds to command big minutes.

but yeah, things are looking ok without him.  on the other hand, if he were here and working like the rest of the group, he'd be a key guy and would enable them to move someone like Edler - adding another piece or two to our futures pool - so his departure definitely comes at a cost, even if he comes back in the end.

Well Stecher was better offensively and Tanev better defensively leaving Try as number 3. It's no different to when people were complaining about Ballards minutes. Edler was better offensively and Hamhuis was better defensively.

Personally I think his biggest thing was missing family. Particularly for his young bride. She understands little english and is left alone in a foreign country while her husband is on the road. 

I don't see him coming back unless he and his wife really work on english and she has a kid or two to look after while he's away on the road.

52 minutes ago, kilgore said:

The translation is quite bad. I'll give it a go (I'll try put in the equivalent style, or something close from my perspective): 

On Vancouver retaining his rights for the next three years:

- Well, no luck, ey? (with the question) You know what, I'm not going to say that the Canucks are bad team or something like that. At the same time though, I can't confirm that I will go overseas in three years, or on the contrary, I can't confirm that I won't go. Chances are I'll get hit on the head with a brick and become retarded. Let's just wait and see how I play at that point. If I'm needed, and we can agree to a contract - well anything can happen. But this is all still in the future.

So I changed the wording on some of his phrases a bit, because the direct translation just sounds daft and doesn't have the same meaning. Also because I suck at translating.

On another note. Could anyone give me a report on Hutton? How did he do this game (apart from that unfortunate give-away.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm really excited for the Sedins.

I think this team has finally reached a watermark.

The past few years it's been the Sedins slogging along, so much weight on them, so much focus on them - as they age - to continue to sustain and produce.

They've been workhorses that have been overworked.

And now - two things can finally happen.

They can legitimately look upon their young teammates and realize this group is for real - they are taking the reins straight out of their hands.  They can enjoy the progression, and let some pressure off.

At the same time, the dynamic shifts - from on their shoulders - to lighting a different kind of fire under them.  Hey - we're not done - we can help this group as secondary producers and aren't ready to be put out to pasture.

I think it's all pretty compressed at the moment, but we're likely to see a resurrgence from them imo - unlikely to outproduce themselves in a reduced role / lesser minutes, but could perhaps be more effective in that reduced role - less energy having to be spent, less keying on them by opposition - and the 'insult' of being surpassed on the depth chart.

They're proud guys - I'm really looking forward to how this will effect them.  It's something new - something they've probably needed for a few years - and/but now that it's staring them in the face, it's also likely to fire them up on a certain level.

I tried to watch their body language as closely as I could to see how they were going to react to such a drastic cut in ice time and responsibility.  To me, they are the consummate professionals and unquestionable leaders and I didn't see anything but full support.  On the ice, though they can't skate like the younger guys, I liked their hustle and their hunger.  I thought they had a great game against a big, fast team

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Anybody still upset at Dorsett playing? 

Man oh man did I ever eat my words last night. I was so pissed all day yesterday assuming Virt was sitting in favour of DD. Honestly though, Ive never seen Dorsett play that well. Totally stunned. Wasn't aware of his penalty kill skills. Looked like a player with 2nd line shut down pedigree. Playoff type performance. What a showing. Blown away.

Our team looked focussed, prepared, fast, tough and confident. I understand now what Jake meant when he said Travis' system was so easy to play as a winger. Get possession and head north...fast. Those bag skates are also paying off. Boys look so much quicker than last season.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

You often make good points, but you really need to stop insulting people you disagree with.  When you do that, it completely nullified anything good on the rest of your post.

Civility goes a long way to productive debate.

"Stupid and unappraised" if that is an insult then I'll own it every time.

It's a pity your "standards" are not matched by 2/3 of these boards or do you only read my posts? I'm flattered.

No doubt you will be plussed by all those who like to hand out the most unfair criticism of players like Dorsett and the recently fired coach etc 

Archived