The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why shouldn't Jake get that middle 6 spot.  His speed and size opened up a lot of room for his linemates.  Really, though, why would you break up a line that's had chemistry from day 1 together.  If Jake plays like he did last night, I suspect they'll send Boes to Utica to get top line mins

I agree with this.  In my opinion Jake looks more physically ready that BB does. He was like a freight train out there drawing those penalties with his strength and speed.  I just hope that instead of lugging BB around as a 13th forward on most nights (if that is the plan) they send him to Utica where he can have a prominent role.  Utica is part of the organization, bolstering that lineup and creating a winning environment while the players develop there has to be viewed as a positive.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'm not surprised to see some usual suspects with the crap goggles on regarding Gudbranson - weren't paying attention / were simply looking for a single moment of fault to confirm the obsessive whinging.

To those folks, I'd point this out:

Horvat, Granlund and Virtanen (in his lesser minutes) - were having a field day last night exposing Edmonton's blueline.

Guys like Klefbom, Larson, Nurse, Benning - the whole blueline really - got exposed far more often than anyone likely expected.

Horvat and Virtanen blew by guys on more than one occassion.

Edmonton's goaltenders had to stone Granlund one on one repeatedly.

And these are just our guys - not "elite" lol - just our 'second rate' talent.

In other words - take your blinders off for a moment and you'll realize how relatively bloody good Gudbranson was and is.

I'd take Klefbom, Larson et al in a heartbeat - and pay a good price to do so.  And I'm absolutely fine with having paid a price to bring Gud here.  He aint perfect - but no one is - and if the first two games against Edmonton this year are any indication (we played them extremely tight in preseason as well) - I think you're looking at a team that can play some damn solid team-defense - and not a bad counterpunch transition game either.  Certainly caught Edmonton repeatedly last night - a pretty good blueline I might add - and that backs teams off of attempting to overpursue our blueline as has been the case in the past few years.

Granlund's hand eye coordination never ceases to amaze me.  I still contend he might be the best all around player on the team.

One aspect of last night's game that got lost a bit was the visible change in Baers game about halfway through the second.  It was painfully obvious he didn't play much in pre-season and then boom, he came out and was probably the best Canuck in the second half of the game.  The play he made on the boards on the chance for Bo's hat trick was One of the highest skill plays of the night.

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

Boeser will get his chance.  If Green feels he won't be playing enough, I'm sure he'll tell Benning, and they'll send him down to Utica.  It's a long season as TG has said, Boeser will get his chance.  There will be injuries and TG is going to deploy his lineup based on opposition.  Smart move by a smart coach.  All is well again in Canuck Land! :)  He really reminds me of AV.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

we'll see how true this is

once the canucks lose their first game

i suspect the blow back will be similar to the blowback for sitting boeser

My bad, I should have said All is well again in Canuck Land for now.

4 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Dorsett is the best.

Word.

He and Sutter outscored Draisatl/McDonalds - and drove them nuts in the process.

So fun to watch.

If Cassels can ever get healthy, get it rolling and get back to being himself, we could have another suffocating element to add to this team.

But Dorsett - it takes a measure of blindness to not see the value he's brought to this team.

Word.

He and Sutter outscored Draisatl/McDonalds - and drove them nuts in the process.

So fun to watch.

If Cassels can ever get healthy, get it rolling and get back to being himself, we could have another suffocating element to add to this team.

But Dorsett - it takes a measure of blindness to not see the value he's brought to this team.

Whenever I see people talking about Dorsett being waived or scratched I shake my head. We missed him so much last year when he was injured. Duded kills penalties, is good defensively, hits, can scrap, occasionally puts up points, and is a huge pest on the ice. Anyone can say what they want about his contract, but Dorsett is the kind of player you want on your teams shutdown line.

12 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

IMO Willie was in a tough position. His first year here was his best, when he was rolling all four lines and the Sedins were still able to work their magic.

His downfall was sticking to his guns by overplaying the Sedins, playing his favourites, and the mishandling of younger players whether through miscommunication (Virtanen) or benching (Goldobin, Tryamkin). 

There are a lot more reasons but he did pretty good with what he had. He was a rookie head coach so he is supposed to be out-coached by his veteran peers. After the Olympics, an assistant role in the NHL would be good for him and his development.

-x-

Getting back to the game, Bo's speed and power generation is incredible. He is literally a bull in a China shop. Biomechanically, when he lowers that shoulder to drive to the net his momentum and base of support is increased so much not many players in the league can physically handle him, especially with the new rules being implemented regarding obstruction and slashes towards the body and hands. Even great skaters may not have the strength to match Horvat when he leans in on his power move. Horvat is like Marshawn Lynch in his prime when he lowers that shoulder.

History makes a fool of us all. 

Your explanation on Virtanen proves you are either living close to but not on planet earth.

As for Goldobin - yeah right, that is why he is in Utica where he will have to learn to work a hell of a lot harder before any coach will risk him (or is it a case you didn't notice how that Canucks team worked against the Oilers)

Tryamkin - an over developed sense of his own importance combined with the ability to think training and conditioning is gained from over eating, extending and celebrating ones honeymoon. By the way 17 mins av ice time is hardly benching a player.

Your knowledge of how coaches coach seems limited to me. Yes he did play the Sedins to their limit but let's face it he didn't have a lot of options, unlike Green.

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

Whenever I see people talking about Dorsett being waived or scratched I shake my head. We missed him so much last year when he was injured. Duded kills penalties, is good defensively, hits, can scrap, occasionally puts up points, and is a huge pest on the ice. Anyone can say what they want about his contract, but Dorsett is the kind of player you want on your teams shutdown line.

yep. Anytime he can shut down McNugget and get under his skin big time he's worth his weight in gold.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Granlund's hand eye coordination never ceases to amaze me.  I still contend he might be the best all around player on the team.

One aspect of last night's game that got lost a bit was the visible change in Baers game about halfway through the second.  It was painfully obvious he didn't play much in pre-season and then boom, he came out and was probably the best Canuck in the second half of the game.  The play he made on the boards on the chance for Bo's hat trick was One of the highest skill plays of the night.

You can really see the Green-effect on guys like Baetschi and Virtanen. 

I've always liked Jake - he's never failed to show the tools he has - but he's got a new level of "head down" this year - he's simply driving himself without the doubt/peripherals - and it's a pleasure to watch.  He made a few simply beautiful rushes last night - but my favorite moment of his was when he beat Nurse to an icing - and Nurse's frustration boiled over resulting in a stupid and costly holding penalty.

It was also Virtanen's first rush (I believe) that resulted in a powerplay - and the Horvat goal? - that turned that game around quickly.

I think he might be the guy to open up the ice for the Sedins if we want/need them to continue to produce as top 6.  His transition threat, his board play and his added two way growth under Green might be just what the Sedins need at this point.

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'm not worried about Boeser making the team.  As we all know, he has a huge skillset and will obviously be a top 6 W.

I heard Green (radio) stating that he didn't like putting a high profile rookie into an opening night game on a team with a rabid (not his word) fanbase.  He wants to shelter the rookies from these kind of situations, so it didn't surprise me that Boes sat in the presser.  I think Green has a very good understanding of his players and knows what's best for them.

Boes will get his chance when Green thinks it's the right time.  It's a long season and there will be changes to the roster, as well as the lines.  No need to rush Boeser.

Fair enough, but I worry about him spending too much time in the press box. Regardless of where's he's playing, he should be playing, and it'd be a helluva thing to have to wait for an injury for him to get his chance. Might as well send him to Utica if that's the plan and just call him up when the injury bug does hit.

And in the event that the team remains healthy up front for a decent stretch of time, the question remains: Who do you sit? Again, based on merit, skillset, and contract, the answer always seems to come out the same. Vanek.

8 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I remember watching him on the Rags shutdown line (particularly in the playoffs) and thinking frack, this guy drives so much and none of it is obvious when you look at the tangibles - ie possession/production etc.  But when you really watch him, he's like a high speed tug boat that simply makes waves / pushes momentum in your team's direction.

He was a great acquisiton - particularly when you factor in the example he sets and the backbone he helps young guys develop.

4 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Your knowledge of how coaches coach seems limited to me. Yes he did play the Sedins to their limit but let's face it he didn't have a lot of options, unlike Green.

He definitely didn't have the options that Green has, but Desjardins' biggest issue as a coach was a misunderstanding of player deployment. He played the players he did have in poorly suited roles when he did have options that fit better.

I remember watching him on the Rags shutdown line and thinking frack, this guy drives so much and none of it is obvious when you look at the tangibles - ie possession/production etc.  But when you really watch him, he's like a high speed tug boat that simply makes waves / pushes momentum in your team's direction.

He was a great acquisiton - particularly when you factor in the example he sets and the backbone he helps young guys develop.

Agreed. I consider him imperative to the player Horvat has become. In Bo's first year, Dorsett seemed like a more important figure on the team for him than even the coaching staff.

12 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

History makes a fool of us all. 

Your explanation on Virtanen proves you are either living close to but not on planet earth.

As for Goldobin - yeah right, that is why he is in Utica where he will have to learn to work a hell of a lot harder before any coach will risk him (or is it a case you didn't notice how that Canucks team worked against the Oilers)

Tryamkin - an over developed sense of his own importance combined with the ability to think training and conditioning is gained from over eating, extending and celebrating ones honeymoon. By the way 17 mins av ice time is hardly benching a player.

great post and factual. coaches work with the talent they have and who they believe gives the team the best chance to win. 

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

He definitely didn't have the options that Green has, but Desjardins' biggest issue as a coach was a misunderstanding of player deployment. He played the players he did have in poorly suited roles when he did have options that fit better.

That could only be proved if another coach was given the same resources and the same horrendous injuries.

I really can't understand, on the basis of one game, with different and more experienced personnel why so many posters have to make stupid and unappraised references to Desjardins.

It is not even a case of WD having poorer (in some cases players with no pro experience) players for these 2 years it is also the fact that playing such players can bring down the performance level of the others. There is no doubt imo that players like the Twins, Loui and Vbrata suffered from this.

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I remember watching him on the Rags shutdown line (particularly in the playoffs) and thinking frack, this guy drives so much and none of it is obvious when you look at the tangibles - ie possession/production etc.  But when you really watch him, he's like a high speed tug boat that simply makes waves / pushes momentum in your team's direction.

Great metaphor, Oldnews.

Just now, alfstonker said:

That could only be proved if another coach was given the same resources and the same horrendous injuries.

I really can't understand, on the basis of one game, with different and more experienced personnel why so many posters have to make stupid and unappraised references to Desjardins.

It is not even a case of WD having poorer (in some cases players with no pro experience) players for these 2 years it is also the fact that playing such players can bring down the performance level of the others. There is no doubt imo that players like the Twins, Loui and Vbrata suffered from this.

I didn't like Desjardins, so my opinion is biased - I'm not trying to argue you on your other points either, just for the record. I don't blame Desjardins for Virtanen's setbacks or general poor play of the team, I just think his sense of player deployment wasn't great. Desjardins came - unfortunately for him - into a very poor situation. His deficiency's as a coach would have been much less obvious on a better team, but the Canucks situation exposed them. They would expose any coaches issues, I'm just saying what I consider Desjardins drawbacks as a coach were.

Archived