The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, alfstonker said:

"Stupid and unappraised" if that is an insult then I'll own it every time.

It's a pity your "standards" are not matched by 2/3 of these boards or do you only read my posts? I'm flattered.

No doubt you will be plussed by all those who like to hand out the most unfair criticism of players like Dorsett and the recently fired coach etc 

Sorry, you lost me at "stupid and unappraised".

14 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Man oh man did I ever eat my words last night. I was so pissed all day yesterday assuming Virt was sitting in favour of DD. Honestly though, Ive never seen Dorsett play that well. Totally stunned. Wasn't aware of his penalty kill skills. Looked like a player with 2nd line shut down pedigree. Playoff type performance. What a showing. Blown away.

Our team looked focussed, prepared, fast, tough and confident. I understand now what Jake meant when he said Travis' system was so easy to play as a winger. Get possession and head north...fast. Those bag skates are also paying off. Boys look so much quicker than last season.

DD was great and got under CMcd's skin, but he's getting too much credit for the shutdown, imo.  For me, it was all about Sutter and Granlund, they were the two best players on the ice last night and the main reason the Canucks came out of that game with two points.  

I'd prefer Granny to play an offensive role with Bo and Baer, but he's so smart, defensively, it's hard to argue against putting him in a shutdown role.  The versatility that runs up and down the lineup is something we haven't seen in Van in a very long time.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Tryamkin is creating his own tragedy, and it would be sad to see him never play for the Canucks.  He had the potential to turn into one of the greatest and most popular Canucks in their sad long history. Sometimes I'd think "if he only knew how much fans liked him on the team" but I realized later that he doesn't give a crap. He really was a bit full of himself.

Think about it, if he had eaten the humble pie and gone down to Utica, despite his contract, he would have met and played for Travis Green for a number of weeks at least. Not only would Travis had been able to get to know and coach Nikita, but Nikita would have been able to begin his relationship with his future NHL coach early. An advantage that players that are acquired in trade or otherwise never played for Green would not have. It seemed pretty clear that he and Willie had an increasingly rough relationship. So if he would have also been patient at the end of the year he then would have found out Green was his new NHL coach as well. Which may have made a difference.

I wonder why he came over here at all. Was it just to prove to himself that he could play in the NHL? But it was never in his long term plans? That maybe he was just increasing his value for a new KHL contract?  He was by all accounts very nationalistic.  There was a report that he had chastised Goldobin for speaking to him in English instead of Russian in the locker room. Also the fact that he knew he wouldn't have a chance to play in the Olympics for Russia if he had stayed. He seemed more in line with Russia's hard stance on pot as well calling Vancouver a "junkie city". His wife, family and home country were more important it seems than playing in the best league in the world. Which is his choice, but sad for what might have been for our team.

I agree. He could have been a big part here but honestly I think we have gone past him now and others will in time make him a distant memory.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

DD was great and got under CMcd's skin, but he's getting too much credit for the shutdown, imo.  For me, it was all about Sutter and Granlund, they were the two best players on the ice last night and the main reason the Canucks came out of that game with two points.  

I'd prefer Granny to play an offensive role with Bo and Baer, but he's so smart, defensively, it's hard to argue against putting him in a shutdown role.  The versatility that runs up and down the lineup is something we haven't seen in Van in a very long time.

Granlund has future Selke candidate written all over him.  Biggest steal from another team since Naslund.

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I agree. He could have been a big part here but honestly I think we have gone past him now and others will in time make him a distant memory.

I don't think they've missed him as much as I thought they were going to.  That said, as another poster pointed out, having him here gave Benning some chips to play to add to an already excellent prospect cupboard.  Tryamkin in the lineup probably meant that one of Edler or Tanev would have been moved at the draft, maybe even both.

48 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

The translation is quite bad. I'll give it a go (I'll try put in the equivalent style, or something close from my perspective): 

On Vancouver retaining his rights for the next three years:

- Well, no luck, ey? (with the question) You know what, I'm not going to say that the Canucks are bad team or something like that. At the same time though, I can't confirm that I will go overseas in three years, or on the contrary, I can't confirm that I won't go. Chances are I'll get hit on the head with a brick and become retarded. Let's just wait and see how I play at that point. If I'm needed, and we can agree to a contract - well anything can happen. But this is all still in the future.

So I changed the wording on some of his phrases a bit, because the direct translation just sounds daft and doesn't have the same meaning. Also because I suck at translating.

On another note. Could anyone give me a report on Hutton? How did he do this game (apart from that unfortunate give-away.

"Chances are I'll get hit on the head with a brick and become retarded"

lol

The original text:  "Maybe I’ll have a brick on my head, and I’ll stay a fool."

I took it more as "Maybe I haven't thought this through properly, and I'm just being an idiot but...."

Which is interesting in that usually when said in North America means that there is some basis for thinking that. ie..some others have told you that you'd be an idiot not to stick with the Canucks and give the NHL more of a try. 

"Oh no, Nikita you'll never know… "

EJ

Sooooo long until the next game ='(

Loved what I saw from the team, top to bottom front to back everyone played great.

From the new guys/new and improved.

MDZ - was physical and had some good passing plays, thought he looked good in his own zone

Gagner - good speed, nice plays

Vanek - looks good with the Sedins, seems like the right fit, had some nice chances

Virtanen - beast mode, fended off Lucic with 1 arm and that rush up the ice OMG i just about jumped through the roof

Eriksson - played well positionally and did a lot of subtle things that maybe didnt jump out but contributed in the long run.

Gudbranson - played great physically and made some nice defensive plays to prevent goals

Travis Green - love the tempo he has the team playing with, the urgency to get the puck up the ice quick and go to the net.

And of course how can I not mention Dorsett's performance. He can finally focus on his job as a pest and getting under the top guys skin rather than fighting and being our enforcer. I really liked him in NYR and was stoked that we picked him up. He has speed, decent hands and plays balls to the wall all game

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

Hence why I said decent, not good, not sick hands or great hands :P he doesnt have hands like hansen

Dorset has no hands.  His puck skill is almost nil.  He skates well, thinks the game well, and is as tough as they come.  If he had puck skills, he would not have to play the role he does to be an NHL player.  Hansen has better puck skills, and it’s not even close.

Entertaining first game for sure. Lots of bright spots and BoHo is going to kill it

One thing I hate tho, is our fans. I was giving out the free beer wrist band at Gate 3 yesterday night and really experienced what the majority of our fans are like. Hate to say it but Oilers fans were wayyy more nice and appreciative than Canuck fans. To be quite frank, People mostly were airheads and completely rude. Most questioned why they were getting free beer. Really? Its free beer night... and you get free beer. Mucho turn off. 

Archived