The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 10/24/2017 at 8:53 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Has Pouliot ever had this much exposure to the NHL game? If not, well there is something called the learning curve that young players will experience.

Not too much, he just hit 82 games for his career vs Dallas.

Looking back on the stats (http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=3624&games=2016-2017:R) the big difference that I can see between Green now and Sullivan from last season is Green isn't using DP on the PK very much at all, and DPs getting more o-zone time than under Sully at least last season (but it also looks like Sully tried the same approach Green is using now for DPs two seasons prior but for some reason Sully changed it and tried to give him more PK time. Maybe getting exposed on the PK too early is what blew his confidence?)

So Green is sheltering the guy a lot more , which makes sense if you're trying to build up the guys confidence. Doing this while also changing the entire feel of the Canucks team game is kind of impressive. It will be really interesting to see where DP is at with 1/2 a season under his belt, so hopefully he can stay up somehow... but Edler is ahead of schedule so he may have to sit for a while which is too bad, things seem to be going the right way for him here. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not too much, he just hit 82 games for his career vs Dallas.

Looking back on the stats (http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=3624&games=2016-2017:R) the big difference that I can see between Green now and Sullivan from last season is Green isn't using DP on the PK very much at all, and DPs getting more o-zone time than under Sully at least last season (but it also looks like Sully tried the same approach Green is using now for DPs two seasons prior but for some reason Sully changed it and tried to give him more PK time. Maybe getting exposed on the PK too early is what blew his confidence?)

So Green is sheltering the guy a lot more , which makes sense if you're trying to build up the guys confidence. Doing this while also changing the entire feel of the Canucks team game is kind of impressive. It will be really interesting to see where DP is at with 1/2 a season under his belt, so hopefully he can stay up somehow... but Edler is ahead of schedule so he may have to sit for a while which is too bad, things seem to be going the right way for him here. 

I know Green likes guys to play their natural sides but I wonder if they slot Pouliot on the right side when Edler's back (rather than Biega). Allows them to ease Edler back in too...

Pouliot seems pretty comfortable on either side.

MDZ, Guddbranson

Hutton, Tanev

Edler, Pouliot

Edited by aGENT

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I know Green likes guys to play their natural sides but I wonder if they slot Pouliot on the right side when Edler's back (rather than Biega). Allows them to ease Edler back in too...

Pouliot seems pretty comfortable on either side.

MDZ, Guddbranson

Hutton, Tanev

Edler, Pouliot

that would be great if thats the case, it certainly makes more sense from a development pov. 

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Acquiring him was a pretty good move. If anyone is able to turn his career around and get things back on track it is his old junior coach.

I feel like Hutton's days may be numbered with all the depth we have on the left side.

I think your point has merit.  Juolevi on the rise next season.  Add in Edler, MDZ, Pouliot. 

hmmm something has to give.  Whether its Hutton though is up in the air.  They chased Pouliot so I suspect he stays if he does what they looked for.  I see MDZ staying as well. So it makes sense either Edler or Hutton.

Have liked Pouliot's game since he came over. Sheltered TOI which is fine. Decisions will have to be made by the TDL. Because of age and injury history I am hoping Edler is moved. Bottom line there is not a untouchable in that d-core. All about the deal. What is given up and what comes back. 

Confident that Benning will make the right decision. Markstrom's play has made the d-core look better that it actually is IMHO. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Have liked Pouliot's game since he came over. Sheltered TOI which is fine. Decisions will have to be made by the TDL. Because of age and injury history I am hoping Edler is moved. Bottom line there is not a untouchable in that d-core. All about the deal. What is given up and what comes back. 

Confident that Benning will make the right decision. Markstrom's play has made the d-core look better that it actually is IMHO. 

I agree but Benning may not be able to make the right deal and trade Edler because of his NTC. I think Edlers the best choice but Del Zotto may hold some real value considering how he's playing for us and his very affordable contract of 3M. With our current LD depth for now and next year, one has to assume Benning will have have to make a move. Elder-Del Zotto-Hutton-Pouliot-Juolevi-McEneny.

I see Pouliot as a top 4 Dman as he plays the new style NHL defensemen way. I think his offensive skill set will become more apparent and visible with his rising confidence. Great pick up by Benning

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I think your point has merit.  Juolevi on the rise next season.  Add in Edler, MDZ, Pouliot. 

hmmm something has to give.  Whether its Hutton though is up in the air.  They chased Pouliot so I suspect he stays if he does what they looked for.  I see MDZ staying as well. So it makes sense either Edler or Hutton.

When Edler comes back, Biega goes back to the pressbox. He does what he does best, a short term relief guy. Where it gets interesting is Stetchers return, but it's a good decision to have to make. I don't see the Canucks giving up on Hutton at all. He's having a good bounce back season, and if I'm not mistaken was the high minute man last night.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I feel like Hutton's days may be numbered with all the depth we have on the left side.

Have to hope it's Edler on the move given where we are as an org but a lot depends on his NTC/willingness to move (and that's coming from a guy with Edler in his sig!).

Imagine the return with Edler at 50% retained salary packaged with say Baer to a contender at the TDL.... :wub:

Hopeful OJ still spends next year in Utica (with call ups) and we move MDZ next TDL.

Next year:

MDZ(Juolevi at the TDL), Gudbranson

Hutton, Tanev

Pouliot, Stecher

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This was one of his highlights tonight.

poo-pass.gif?w=600&h=335

Pouliot's controlled exits were 80% tonight

Wow! That's a great pass.  And Bo, with his speed, certainly puts fear into the D too.  The D left a BIG GAP between their forechecking forwards and themselves, because of Bo, which left that HUGE space for Bo to accept the pass from Pouliot in.  I think if Bo is not the first guy through the neutral zone, driving the D back, then that space would not be there.  That's Green's new system and coaching properly too.  

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Have to hope it's Edler on the move given where we are as an org but a lot depends on his NTC/willingness to move (and that's coming from a guy with Edler in his sig!).

Imagine the return with Edler at 50% retained salary packaged with say Baer to a contender at the TDL.... :wub:

Hopeful OJ still spends next year in Utica (with call ups) and we move MDZ next TDL.

Next year:

MDZ(Juolevi at the TDL), Gudbranson

Hutton, Tanev

Pouliot, Stecher

Hypothetical scenario here. What if Juolevi comes into camp and plays so well that the Canucks are forced to put him in? Do you think we try to move MDZ before the season starts, or is sending him down an inevitability for asset management purposes, with assurances that he will be on the roster after the TDL?

This is of course assuming that everything remains status quo with the likes of Pouliot and Hutton in terms of their quality of play.

Edited by Bigturk8

1 minute ago, Bigturk8 said:

Hypothetical scenario here. What if Juolevi comes into camp and plays so well that the Canucks are forced to put him in? Do you think we try to move MDZ before the season starts, or is sending him down an inevitability for asset management purposes, with assurances that he will be on the roster after the TDL?

This is of course assuming that everything remains status quo with the likes of Pouliot and Hutton in terms of their quality of play.

I think they'd do the same as they did with Stecher, send him down until an injury or trade (MDZ or Hutton) makes room for him. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2017 at 1:28 AM, Alflives said:

ow! That's a great pass.  And Bo, with his speed, certainly puts fear into the D too.  The D left a BIG GAP between their forechecking forwards and themselves, because of Bo, which left that HUGE space for Bo to accept the pass from Pouliot in.  I think if Bo is not the first guy through the neutral zone, driving the D back, then that space would not be there.  That's Green's new system and coaching properly too.  

Completely agree! Green is playing a system that supports his players and helps them excel. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Went to the STH event, I ordered some cresting on my new Adidas jersey! 

I wanted a defenseman this time around, so I picked Pouliot. I think he's going to be around a while, in fact I'm betting on it. 

grats!  i like it.  pouliot is becoming my favorite d to watch for sure. i am anxiously waiting for Pettersson to make his debut so i can get his jersey!

guy is gold like pouliot. 

• Upvote 1