The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

On 10/30/2020 at 7:50 PM, D-Money said:

I’m now 3 seasons in to each show, and think I’ll bump each of the ratings up another half-point...maybe even a full one.

The Expanse goes in bold new directions, and really nails it. The acting and effects also go up a notch. Truly original and epic sci-fi.

And Superstore may not be a classic sitcom, but it’s one of the better series currently running (at least among the family-friendly ones, anyways). Consistently funny.

Superstore is like (Westernized) Chinese Food. Its sometimes bad and rarely amazing but it sometimes satisfies exactly what you wanted. 

EDIT: But if you've watched The Office, so many of the storylines/B-plots are ripped from The Office (the creator of Superstore was a writer on The Office).

Edited by Down by the River

9 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The Undoing: 7/10 (4 episodes in)

Miniseries on HBO with Nicole Kidman, Donald Sutherland, and Hugh Grant. In some ways I could be rating this lower than it deserves. It lost points moreso because of the potential it had. Some poor writing ruined some good performances. 

I really enjoyed this series.  And, yes, the acting is good.   I'm not sure what you mean about  poor writing.  I thought the writers did a good job of shifting suspicion from character to character.

Tiny House Hunting - 10/10!

I love this show! It inspires me so much! I would like a calmer / easier way of living.  I live in Seattle right now, and I don't see any benefits of living here. The rent is high and the city - there are many problems.  And we are all stuck at home and paying high rent.  My parents live on an island that is very community oriented and everyone knows each other.  That's how I want to live. 

The Queen's Gambit

Frickin solid. Anya Taylor Joy has only put in one stinker in her young career, but this might be her most solid performance to date; which is saying something considering how she was in The Witch and Thoroughbreds. 

Netflix miniseries which spans about 10-12 years, from the age of 8-20 (I think). 50s and 60s era. Follows a orphaned child chess prodigy as she rises the ranks in the US and world, while battling addiction and demons. While not a true story, that doesn't take away from how terrific the story is. Right up there as one of the best "sports" movies or TV shows of all time. Incredibly well done.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:18 PM, Monty said:

The Queen's Gambit

Frickin solid. Anya Taylor Joy has only put in one stinker in her young career, but this might be her most solid performance to date; which is saying something considering how she was in The Witch and Thoroughbreds. 

Netflix miniseries which spans about 10-12 years, from the age of 8-20 (I think). 50s and 60s era. Follows a orphaned child chess prodigy as she rises the ranks in the US and world, while battling addiction and demons. While not a true story, that doesn't take away from how terrific the story is. Right up there as one of the best "sports" movies or TV shows of all time. Incredibly well done.

I'm on E5. Maybe one of the better new series of 2020. I'll give it a 9.5/10 so far. 

The show had every opportunity to lean into a cliché character/scenario and just refused to do so and I am so thankful. I was really not in the mood for storylines characterized by all the things that could have gone on in an orphanage (sexual abuse, etc.). Each time a male character popped up, I thought "aww &^@#". But the show found a way to stay away from the tropes. No abuse, no "but you're a woman" characters (for the most part), no Mighty-Ducks style evil opponent... I'm going to have to look into who wrote this

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I'm on E5. Maybe one of the better new series of 2020. I'll give it a 9.5/10 so far. 

Reveal hidden contents

The show had every opportunity to lean into a cliché character/scenario and just refused to do so and I am so thankful. I was really not in the mood for storylines characterized by all the things that could have gone on in an orphanage (sexual abuse, etc.). Each time a male character popped up, I thought "aww &^@#". But the show found a way to stay away from the tropes. No abuse, no "but you're a woman" characters (for the most part), no Mighty-Ducks style evil opponent... I'm going to have to look into who wrote this

Agreed with everything you put in spoilers. Everytime one of those times came in where they could have leaned into the current trend of "wokeness", they never did. And it really makes for a better series than they didn't. 

The Expanse - Season 5 (so far: E1-5) - 9/10

Starts off slow, but is just setting the stage for what’s to come. Episode 4 is one of the best single episodes of TV I have ever seen.

The first few episodes of the first season are hard to get through, but man is it worth it. The 2nd & 3rd seasons are just outstanding. And after a bit of a step back in season 4, looks like 5 is going to be a wild ride.

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Ted Lasso: 8.5/10

TV is just so much better than movies. 

I watched this based on a recommendation. I thought I would really not like it. I was wrong. It is a real sweet show and Jason Sudeikis proves he has some range (also see the movie Colossal). 

Yeah, I was shocked how good it was. When I first heard about it (ie: that Jason Sudeikis was in a show), I could almost predict how it was going to be. Not the case at all.

Like you said, really sweet. And Sudeikis not only playing a character I didn't expect him to play, but really pulling it off.

21 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah, I was shocked how good it was. When I first heard about it (ie: that Jason Sudeikis was in a show), I could almost predict how it was going to be. Not the case at all.

Like you said, really sweet. And Sudeikis not only playing a character I didn't expect him to play, but really pulling it off.

I went in thinking "Ricky Bobby, but a coach". Nope. 

Obsolete - I don't watch anime much, but this has been fantastic all around.  Like if Robotech, Neil Blomkamp and had a lovechild. 

The Office (US)

Second time going through the show.  Gabe is hands down low key hilarious.  Definitely a stand out during my second viewing

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

The Terror

Currently in season 1, just finishing episode 6. Man, are we ever in the golden age of television. When shows like this and The Americans go largely unnoticed and they are quite possibly possibly best shows to be released in the last decade, you know we're spoiled.

TERROR_101_SG_0001.0.thumb.jpg.dcee6a39f080bbbb7058a1e31b59942a.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, Monty said:

The Terror

Currently in season 1, just finishing episode 6. Man, are we ever in the golden age of television. When shows like this and The Americans go largely unnoticed and they are quite possibly possibly best shows to be released in the last decade, you know we're spoiled.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e7226594f0bd9e6aTERROR_101_SG_0001.0.thumb.jpg.dcee6a39f080bbbb7058a1e31b59942a.jpg

Looks like its not on a streaming service in Canada yet? I just googled and didn't find any of the main players popping up with it :S

Nevermind found it on Prime

Edited by Russ

On 1/6/2021 at 6:15 PM, Monty said:

The Terror

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e7226594f0bd9e6aTERROR_101_SG_0001.0.thumb.jpg.dcee6a39f080bbbb7058a1e31b59942a.jpg

Season 2 is supposed to suck.

I watched season 1 of Goliath, and it was decent...but after reading how poor season 2 is, I just decided to stop there.

On the other hand, I just finished season 3 of Cobra Kai. Truly awesome - even better than the first 2!

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Season 2 is supposed to suck.

I watched season 1 of Goliath, and it was decent...but after reading how poor season 2 is, I just decided to stop there.

On the other hand, I just finished season 3 of Cobra Kai. Truly awesome - even better than the first 2!

Yeah, watched season 1, which was phenomenal.

Not going to watch season 2. Season 1 is its own story, so there's no reason to watch the 2nd.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:18 PM, Monty said:

The Queen's Gambit

Please refrain from bold texting your reviews no matter how much you likey

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...