The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, gobi said:

Wouldn't Jake be better served by playing in Utica then? It seems like Jake is on a very short leash and any mistakes he'll get benched. 

Your argument is pretty solid.  My hope is the coach decides to stick with him, even with a few rough moments on defense.  I never played hockey at a high enough level to know for sure what "good defending" means against the better players in the world, but it has to be harder than doing the same in Utica.  Virt is being over-coached at the moment imo.  I hope I'm wrong.

I think Burmistrov was quickly rushed to the NHL, same with Gagner. I really liked what I saw from Baertschi-Burmistrov-Boeser line. The Baertschi-Horvat duo wasn't clicking so it made sense splitting them up. Burmistrov's creativity and playmaking skills really complement Boeser and we saw that today, while he is still responsible in the defensive zone. A guy that can skate and also play all three forward positions, what isn't there to like about him?

8 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Your argument is pretty solid.  My hope is the coach decides to stick with him, even with a few rough moments on defense.  I never played hockey at a high enough level to know for sure what "good defending" means against the better players in the world, but it has to be harder than doing the same in Utica.  Virt is being over-coached at the moment imo.  I hope I'm wrong.

I'm just a bit surprised by Green's usage of Jake. After all, Jake was Green's pet project back in Utica and managed to turn his game around. Given their familiarity with each other, I thought Green would give Jake more leeway and be more tolerant with his mistakes. 

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think Burmistrov was quickly rushed to the NHL, same with Gagner. I really liked what I saw from Baertschi-Burmistrov-Boeser line. The Baertschi-Horvat duo wasn't clicking so it made sense splitting them up. Burmistrov's creativity and playmaking skills really complement Boeser and we saw that today, while he is still responsible in the defensive zone. A guy that can skate and also play all three forward positions, what isn't there to like about him?

He might be our next Santorelli 

22 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don't think it is a Jake problem, I think it's a coaching problem.  In pre-season, jake and boeser were both producing at about the same rate.  To start the season, Green benches Boeser and Virtanen (at least marginalizing them) - as soon as he starts playing Boeser, he starts producing again.  In my opinion, so would Jake - if given the same opportunity to play quality minutes.  To confirm that, when Burmistrov was given quality minutes tonight, guess what... production.

All it took was Erickson being hurt and cutting back on the other old farts, the Sedins.

That said, the Canucks weren't the only team not getting value out of their young guys.  Pouliot and Nilsson looked very good tonight - when Stetcher and Pouliot were paired it changed the entire pace of the game for Vancouver.

I just think Virtanen has the potential to be more than how he is being used right now. But it was Green who improved his game so I guess Green earned the benefit of the doubt. 

Meanwhile, things continue as normal in Blotchland...

Yes, I asked Green about Boeser not playing the first two games.

JPat asked him about Virtanen sitting the third.

Green was laughing before we were done.

If you listen to the audio you can hear Green cracking up just as JPat is asking why JV18 was sat in the third.

“I was betting which one of those questions you two would ask and you asked both,” he told us later.

screen-shot-2017-10-17-at-12-14-01-pm.pn

Took no time at all for Green to make those two clowns.  Good on him.

21 minutes ago, gobi said:

I'm just a bit surprised by Green's usage of Jake. After all, Jake was Green's pet project back in Utica and managed to turn his game around. Given their familiarity with each other, I thought Green would give Jake more leeway and be more tolerant with his mistakes. 

From the way Virtanen tells it, that's the opposite of how things work between them. Green's never held back when he that Virtanen was deficient at something and Virtanen likes it that way.

Boy that Burmistrov, Boeser and Baertschi line had some fantastic chemistry. Burmistrov goes from fringe 4th liner to what may be our 1st line center.

Going to have to find someone new to play with Horvat now because he's been quiet lately. I'd like to see what an infusion of skill would do, perhaps Goldobin or Gagner or Granlund?

Hutton and Gudbranson were embarassed a few too many times tonight whilst MDZ and Pouliot looked nice and stable.

Obviously Nilsson was brilliant, lots of ugly rebounds but he tracked them well. This starting job is now his to lose.

Archived