The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Vanek is going to be a fun playerr to watch when he's angry because he brings a lot of emotion. Drops about a million f bombs here and there, turns on goon mode, makes funny ass face expressions, and then takes a slapshot on a breakaway angrily. I didn't even cheer when he scored, i straight up laughed and thought that was one of the most funniest goals ive seen. Just the sheer anger in his face during that breakaway and that slapper, LOL

I started laughing when I read this. Totally was thinking the same thing when he took that slapper. Reminded me of Dahlen in the shootout at prospects camp on Demko. I was like huh. When's the last time you saw a guy use a slapper on a breakaway. That was weird. And his face was weirdly, angry or frustrated, even his body language after he scored. Didn't think anyone else was thinking that, until I read your post haha. Funny to know others were thinking the same thing.

1 minute ago, Derp... said:

I started laughing when I read this. Totally was thinking the same thing when he took that slapper. Reminded me of Dahlen in the shootout at prospects camp on Demko. I was like huh. When's the last time you saw a guy use a slapper on a breakaway. That was weird. And his face was weirdly, angry or frustrated, even his body language after he scored. Didn't think anyone else was thinking that, until I read your post haha. Funny to know others were thinking the same thing.

Maybe it goes back to his days in Buffalo to prompt that reaction.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to know the details on that one - anyone seeing what Green is seeing? not complaining, just curious 

Jake is uneven defensively: sometimes gets the puck out, sometimes not; sometimes floats away from the play, sometimes not.  He needs more time playing: it seems pretty obvious that he will improve with repetition/learning in real games. His hockey I.Q. has gone up a lot of points this year.  He just needs lots of ice time.

9 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Jake is uneven defensively: sometimes gets the puck out, sometimes not; sometimes floats away from the play, sometimes not.  He needs more time playing: it seems pretty obvious that he will improve with repetition/learning in real games. His hockey I.Q. has gone up a lot of points this year.  He just needs lots of ice time.

Wouldn't Jake be better served by playing in Utica then? It seems like Jake is on a very short leash and any mistakes he'll get benched. 

20 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Anyone notice he didn't even raise his arms in the air after scoring?

3 minutes ago, gobi said:

Wouldn't Jake be better served by playing in Utica then? It seems like Jake is on a very short leash and any mistakes he'll get benched. 

I don't think it is a Jake problem, I think it's a coaching problem.  In pre-season, jake and boeser were both producing at about the same rate.  To start the season, Green benches Boeser and Virtanen (at least marginalizing them) - as soon as he starts playing Boeser, he starts producing again.  In my opinion, so would Jake - if given the same opportunity to play quality minutes.  To confirm that, when Burmistrov was given quality minutes tonight, guess what... production.

All it took was Erickson being hurt and cutting back on the other old farts, the Sedins.

That said, the Canucks weren't the only team not getting value out of their young guys.  Pouliot and Nilsson looked very good tonight - when Stetcher and Pouliot were paired it changed the entire pace of the game for Vancouver.

Archived