The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No weight on the voting I would think. It's just a matter of exposing him more to Eastern media who might not follow him.

It's more just to say, here's why there's hype with this guy. Don't forget him when you're voting.

well, if it comes to a difference of few points, this all-star MVP title and his goal scoring production might actually be the difference of him winning the Calder rather than Barzal. I mean he was the only rookie in the all star game and he won the MVP as the only rookie to win it since Mario Lemieux in 1985 so saying that it doesn't really weigh in the calder voting would be false. Even ESPN is talking about Boeser when they never talk about the NHL, so that says something.

3 hours ago, FireGillis said:

Yes, bonuses always apply to the current year's cap if there's room.  It only goes to next year's cap if you don't have room to fit it on this year's cap.  I don't know the canucks cap situation, so don't know if there's room to fit it this year.

Well, I'm thinking we'll have some salary freed up by the deadline.

As it stands right now, that would be $425K to Brock +  $800K to Lu. Not earth shattering but we'd definitely like to have Brock's bonuses applied to this season. 

Ive just looked a little bit into the PHWA so called 'eastern bias' and from what I can see, from all the awards that get voted on by them, it ends up being very close to split down the middle for East and West votes.

The calder is a bit of an anomolie compared to the other awards in that it seemed to more often go to a player in the east lately but seriously...TAKE OFF YOUR TINFOIL HATS.

If the season ended today, some people would value more that boeser potted 8 more goals in 4 less games than barzal. (Mind you im not sure if barzal has missed any games but boeser will for sure have played 2 less games than barzal by season's end). Others will value more that barzal put up more points. 

Some will value more that barzal is a centre or that boeser has weaker linemates. These are all things that should and likely will come into account when these professional hockey writers cast their ballads. 

What I can almost guarantee would not come into effect is which side of the continent they play on. Do you really think these guys are all such hacks as to not even look at these basic underlying stats we argue on here??.. That just because they see barzal 5 times this year and boeser maybe once or twice they won't notice that boeser has nearly ten more goals in less games played?. And have all of you actually watched barzal play because he is an equally special player in a completely different way. You can't credit him for just having stronger linemates the kid is clutch and can put the team on his back. 

Classic CDC to complain about something that hasn't even happened yet though. So hard done by. 

• 2 weeks later...

In all due respect to Boeser but I'm afraid that it may be time to close this thread. A Boeser hand injury and Barzal playing on an excellent Islanders team is not a good combination in order to complete for the Calder. 

I just Boeser will have enough games to break the club record for points by a rookie. 13 more points to tie Bure('92) and that old two-year flake Ivan Hlinka('82).

On 1/29/2018 at 8:24 PM, bohoforpresident said:

Ive just looked a little bit into the PHWA so called 'eastern bias' and from what I can see, from all the awards that get voted on by them, it ends up being very close to split down the middle for East and West votes.

The calder is a bit of an anomolie compared to the other awards in that it seemed to more often go to a player in the east lately but seriously...TAKE OFF YOUR TINFOIL HATS.

If the season ended today, some people would value more that boeser potted 8 more goals in 4 less games than barzal. (Mind you im not sure if barzal has missed any games but boeser will for sure have played 2 less games than barzal by season's end). Others will value more that barzal put up more points. 

Some will value more that barzal is a centre or that boeser has weaker linemates. These are all things that should and likely will come into account when these professional hockey writers cast their ballads. 

What I can almost guarantee would not come into effect is which side of the continent they play on. Do you really think these guys are all such hacks as to not even look at these basic underlying stats we argue on here??.. That just because they see barzal 5 times this year and boeser maybe once or twice they won't notice that boeser has nearly ten more goals in less games played?. And have all of you actually watched barzal play because he is an equally special player in a completely different way. You can't credit him for just having stronger linemates the kid is clutch and can put the team on his back. 

Classic CDC to complain about something that hasn't even happened yet though. So hard done by. 

You should put this to music. Maybe in 3/4 time at about 52 bpm.

Get it?

My opinion of Calder trophy is that it is not that important of a trophy for two reasons: it's harder for any rookies to win with a lesser line-up than a strong line-up like Barzal in the Islanders with better players around him.  It is just a luck of a draw when you are picked by a team at the draft table.   It is the most overrated trophy because it's difficult to measure the individual player properly in that aspect.  The only trophy it should matter is the Stanley Cup as a team trophy and Conn Smythe as an individual trophy.   If Barzal played for Coyotes, or Sabres, I don't think he would be having those type of points he is getting playing with the Islanders.  Calder trophy depends on who you are playing with and if you have a better linemate then that's a luck of the draw, imo.  

3 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Barzal - 56 games 58 points

Boeser - 51 games 47 points 

Barzal with ANOTHER 5 point game tonight.

Barzal is running away with this

Boeser has 10 more goals. 

Point totals consist of adding up the goals and assists of a player.  Goals are more coveted and also harder to get. 

;) hehe

Not to take away from an amazing game by young barzal. But ten goals more in 5 less games is substantial.

Hope boeser is okay :(

54 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Boeser has 10 more goals. 

Point totals consist of adding up the goals and assists of a player.  Goals are more coveted and also harder to get. 

;) hehe

Not to take away from an amazing game by young barzal. But ten goals more in 5 less games is substantial.

Hope boeser is okay :(

While this is all true, the guy with less points almost never wins the Calder. Unless it's a D man or goalie.

12 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I think he could win it if he breaks the 40 goal mark. 

if they keep up the current ppg pace even if boeser breaking 40 goals there's no way he'll win it.. Barzal will finish in the mid 90s for points for a rookie.. that's almost hart/art ross numbers..

18 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Barzal - 56 games 58 points

Boeser - 51 games 47 points 

Barzal with ANOTHER 5 point game tonight.

Barzal is running away with this

Even with a 5 point game their ppg is quite close. This is going to go down to the wire, and I don't think it'll be a clear winner until they announce a name. 

18 hours ago, coolboarder said:

My opinion of Calder trophy is that it is not that important of a trophy for two reasons: it's harder for any rookies to win with a lesser line-up than a strong line-up like Barzal in the Islanders with better players around him.  It is just a luck of a draw when you are picked by a team at the draft table.   It is the most overrated trophy because it's difficult to measure the individual player properly in that aspect.  The only trophy it should matter is the Stanley Cup as a team trophy and Conn Smythe as an individual trophy.   If Barzal played for Coyotes, or Sabres, I don't think he would be having those type of points he is getting playing with the Islanders.  Calder trophy depends on who you are playing with and if you have a better linemate then that's a luck of the draw, imo.  

The players themselves would probably disagree.  It's the hardest trophy to win given you only get one shot at it, and there have been some memorable moments over the years connected to it.  Borasso as an eighteen year old stepping in out of high school and winning both the Vezina and the Calder, Gretzky not allowed and Borque starting his hall of fame career... Ovechkin beating out the most touted junior since Lindros etc.   It's not something to belittle just because two weeks ago our player was the front runner and now it's slipping away, to win this is a tremendous honour, and Barzal or whomever is launching a great career by winning it. 

18 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Barzal has actually had THREE 5 point games.....

I can't believe the Oilers essentially gave Barzal, Eberle, and Beauvillier to NYI for Strome and Reinhart.

Barzal would have more points on the Oilers than anyone not named mcdavid, and Eberle would be third in scoring behind mcdavid and Draisaitl.

Just a brutal couple of trades.

Archived