The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If Henrik retires do we trade or promote for top 6 center?

BigTramFan

Well clearly one plan is to at least offer Tavares a massive contract if he is available.

Highly doubtful he would pick us, but you have to make the call in our situation.

Tavares

Petterson

Horvat

... not too shabby at centre. :)

I would have been 100% on re-signing the Sedins for a cheap extension, unless they can show more that may be off the table.  They aren’t looking better against lower competition like I thought they would.

They are decent back up plans if we can’t find a trade or UFA though.

5 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I'd like to see them stay another year on the third line. They look pretty good in that role. 

Oh God, please no, they cant skate, the game has changed now, they could hide there skating in the past but not anymore. They have been warriors but you don't want them on your third line . They are not going to sign for 1 million each, id rather promote from within or trade. 

2 hours ago, Kungfudru said:

Juolevi for Sam Reinhart should give Pettersson enough time to develop properly 

I see where you're coming from but if Juolevi plays a couple seasons on the Canucks and proves himself as an NHL top 4, we can get a LOT more than Reinhart for him. Reinhart is not as good as you think he is. His best season was thanks to Eichel, don't get confused and think he's the one that made that line work.

Some good thoughts here. Thanks.

I guess based on ice time Bo's our top offensive line (1C) and Sutter is our current 2C, but used as a match up defensive line.

So this makes Henrik our current 3C. And Burmistrov our 4C.

If we we stick to this set up next season and Sedins retire, then we are looking for someone to step into that 3 or 4C role but with more of an offensive focus than the usual 3/4th line. 

Seems we would most likely use what we already have in this years lineup (Granlund or Gagner) with some potential  for Gaudette to stake a claim.

If this is the case I would really like to see Green give Granny a shot at centering a line for 10 games or so this season. I think he has the best potential but has been deployed exclusively as a winger for a couple of seasons now.

Projected F lineup next season (by TOI):

Baer Horvat Boeser

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett (match up)

Ericksson Granlund Goldobin

Gagner Burmistrov Virtanen

Sedins retired

Vanek traded

8 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Oh God, please no, they cant skate, the game has changed now, they could hide there skating in the past but not anymore. They have been warriors but you don't want them on your third line . They are not going to sign for 1 million each, id rather promote from within or trade. 

Tonight was another game where they looked great and are helping Virtanen find his game. Looks like I'm not so out to lunch in thinking they can still play on the third line.

Who's going to trade away a top 3 center (we already have a second line center who's good)?!!!  Any trade for a top line center would require more than what the Canucks have unless they get an older player who probably isn't a top line center anymore.  The answer is clear......either sign a free agent or develop within and continue to develop and draft.  Note that there really isn't a 1C on the current roster anymore (no in-form superstar).......that's why there's 4 lines that could all play at a similar level.  The fact that JB has created 4 lines that are all legit second or third lines is proof that he's leading the team in the correct direction but a much needed 1C player isn't going to come from a collection of 2-way forwards and picks.

We should not be trading for top six center. Horvat looks like he will top off at a second line center while Pettersson is looking like a potential number one. Trading for one would be giving away assests for something we might not need and might take away a spot and time from our younger guys coming up.

17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Put 10-11 Million on the best free agent forward we can get. for 3-4 years

He will get that money x 7 years....to the winner whomever that is.  Wouldn't be the worse plan in the world anyways, we would have him and Horvat and three years from now Pettersson will be in the picture.  Horvat could move to the wing if needed, and we'd had two scoring lines until Tavares is around 33.  Which is most of his 7 year contract.  

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He will get that money x 7 years....to the winner whomever that is.  Wouldn't be the worse plan in the world anyways, we would have him and Horvat and three years from now Pettersson will be in the picture.  Horvat could move to the wing if needed, and we'd had two scoring lines until Tavares is around 33.  Which is most of his 7 year contract.  

Plus hopefully we'll be peaking at that time. He might see a good fit for the playoffs maybe if we trend upwards in all areas.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Now I'm not comparing the players but signing Tavares, as good as he is, has a bit of a 'Phil Kessel in TOR' feel to it to me. They rushed a move like that without having the supporting cast around him.

I don't think we're in a place in our rebuild yet to be giving a likely $10m+ x 7 year contract to anyone. Feels like we should be waiting another good 2'ish years for a move like that.

Now signing a guy like Kane who won't command anywhere near those dollars and maybe, just maybe we could get for closer to 5'ish years given his history... That's something I'd look in to.

Archived