The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If Henrik retires do we trade or promote for top 6 center?

BigTramFan

It appears that the Sedins may retire at the end of this season.

And although some may think they are already the Canucks third line, I personally feel that we need another top 6 center along with Bo.

Petterson is at least another season away from filling this spot.

What do you think we should do?

- Beg Henrik to stay for reduced salary until Petterson is ready?

- Promote Granlund/Burmi/Gagner into the role?

- Trade for a 1/2C? Who?

Sedins have had fantastic careers and have been great for this franchise, but I am fine with them retiring. 

Their reign is coming to an end, and its time to let the younger guys have their go at it.

Sign Gaudette when his NCAA season is over. 

Plus we have Horvat, Granlund, Burmistrov, Gagne, Sutter and Gaunce... who can all play center.  Get the job done by committee if need be.

Pettersen may not be completely NHL ready by next season, but he is showing really well in the SHL, so anything is possible.

Who knows, maybe we acquire a center via trade at some point. There have already been rumours that we are looking to add a center (Reinhart or, Duchene are the obvious ones), but maybe JB acquires a center none of us have thought of.  That might happen soon, or it may not be until the trade deadline.   Exciting times!

We have two great center prospects who may be knocking on the door pretty soon in Pettersson and Gaudette. If Henrik decides to retire, and I think he will play at least another year, then we let Gaudette compete it out against the other centers on the team in the off season or maybe even at the end of the season if he finishes earlier. The coaches can then decide whether they want him or a better pivot in free agency. 
I don't think it makes sense to go after a big name free agent, because they won't sign short term, nor do I think trading is the answer, because they too won't want to stay short term and the cost will be more than we would want to part with. If you look at who is available, it's basically Duchene or Galchenyuk - if you believe in his potential as a center. 

The likely scenario: Henrik stays another year, which gives Gaudette a year or two in the AHL and Pettersson to gain some size before coming over. 
My ideal scenario if Henrik retires: We let the guys we have play it out for a year, tweak our rosters and integrate the young guys in when they're ready

What I'd like: Henrik and Daniel re-sign cheaply for 1 year, score 20-40 points as a bottom-6 line and retire. By then Dahlen and Pettersson will hopefully by in their first AHL seasons, Gaudette will be as well and might get to crack the NHL roster as a bottom-6 center and we'll still have plenty of young guys entering their prime. Might be nice to consider signing 1 UFA top-6 forward close to their prime to add some offence lost from the Sedins but it won't be much.

What I think will happen: Henrik and Daniel retire at the end of this season, leaving 40-60 points to be replaced by Boucher/Goldobin/call-ups/UFAs.

It would be nice to have Dahlen and Pettersson learn from the Sedins, ideally on the ice at the same time, but I don't see that overlap happening.

SIGN JOHN TAVARES!!!!

But Seriously, trading for a 1C/2C would likely require giving a couple of prospects like Petterson/Juolevi/Dahlen/Gaudette and maybe a 1st on top of that, depending if it's a 1C or 2C.

So most likely, it will need to be filled from within. 

Unless some miracle happens (Petterson shatters expectations) there's no one in our system who's going to be a 1C on a winning team. Get real guys.

I guess we might have a 1C in the way that Derek Stepan and Jordan Staal are technically a 1C's in the NHL. But those guys are 2C's or 3C's on a contender.

Most likely we'll end up with 3 2C's and have them slot on whichever lines fit. One of those will be considered the first line, so there you go. If you want a true star 1c we'll have to draft him in the future or trade for him. There's no one to promote.

1 hour ago, mephnick said:

Unless some miracle happens (Petterson shatters expectations) there's no one in our system who's going to be a 1C on a winning team. Get real guys.

I guess we might have a 1C in the way that Derek Stepan and Jordan Staal are technically a 1C's in the NHL. But those guys are 2C's or 3C's on a contender.

Most likely we'll end up with 3 2C's and have them slot on whichever lines fit. One of those will be considered the first line, so there you go. If you want a true star 1c we'll have to draft him in the future or trade for him. There's no one to promote.

You're seriously underrating Petterson here.

Why The Sedins are hardly top 6 players anymore? Were doing fine we have Sutter  Gagner Granlund Gaunce to take their bottom 6 mins and Goaldy/Boucher if were looking for some added offence. If anything we should be acquiring an elite winger for Bo/Pettersson. In 2 years when we shake all the dead weight off (Eriksson Vanek Gagner the Sedins) and have Lind Gaudette Dahlen Gadjovich Juolevi Goldobin Lockwood knocking on the door the Canucks will be strong fast and menacing on the forecheck.

I'm sure if Jim could add someone like Galchenyuk he would if it didn't cut too deep into future picks or prospects but he's set it up to be done by committee next season and maybe we'll see someone emerge from the current group. But you don't just get Henrik back it has to be both twins, which might be OK at a low salary, the reduce time is working out and realistically I can't see us adding in more than 2 rookies next season anyway so there should be room for them if they want to come back if say e.g., Baer and Burmy are replaced by Guadette and a rookie winger.  

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This.

Just go with what we have and see which of Horvat/Gagne/Burmistrov/Sutter/Granlund steps up. Probably means another season in the dumps, but so be it. We could use another high 1st rd pick.

Not just one season.

I think it's worth reminding folks here that all of this banking on our prospects turning into impact players is folly. Very few prospects turn into impact players. Many don't even make their team. CoHo. 

I think this team will be in the hired-gun business for longer than folks realize. Too good of guns will keep the Rebuild from being a smash success. 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Henrik is the 3C right now anyway.  Gaudette will be here in a few months, and Pettersson either next season or the one after.

This. HockeyGaud will play in the Olympics and become a worldwide known phenom. He'll the. Take his talents to Van where he'll man the third line and go under Brandon Sutters wing. It appears there is a succession plan. 

Archived