The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If Henrik retires do we trade or promote for top 6 center?

BigTramFan

:frantic::frantic:

What to do, what to do....

How about we wait, until we know, how this season is going.

Sedins may take another year (doubt it), we may draft another C, we may sign one, or we may just use, what we got.

While we're at it, what do we do, if there really is life on Mars...

(Sorry BigTramFan, but a lot of ifs here...)

We all know how much benning loves his ufa spending sprees so who if any are ufas next summer. 

trading would set the team back since it would cost picks and prospects.unless the player returning is also young (under 25)

promoting would seem logical bo as #1 grandlund gaunce 2a2b 

petterson is years away. Maybe some college ufa or one in the system can step in.

hopefully benning stays away from option 1 or 2.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

You're seriously underrating Petterson here.

I agree.  I EXPECT him to be a top six center.  I have such high hopes for him that nothing he can do is likely to "shatter" my expectations.  

I know one can never predict for sure the kind of NHL player a guy will become, but he has all the tools and I trust Benning's judgement.

As far as what we should do, I think a lot of it depends on the landscape:

- Can Henrik still produce enough to warrant a 2nd line position and would he want to play another season?  So far, the former appears to be "no".  

- Is there going to be a short-term center we can pick up UFA who could fill the role, or do we want to pick up a long-term guy to become part of our core and possibly trade Pettersson at a later date?  As a supplimental note, Tavares, Turris, Stastny, Marchessault are all still unsigned.
- By that point does it even look like Pettersson is going to be headed to be a top six center?

- If we only have to wait one season, can we live with Sutter half-assing that 2nd line role for one year?

I'm fine going forward with what we've got (Horvat, Granlund, Gagner, Sutter, Gaunce, Chaput can all play C and Gaudette and Petterson should be along shortly after).

I mean if Benning can swing a Galchenyuk + (or similar player) for Baer and say Edler/Hutton...by all means. We graduate Goldy in to Baer's spot and have lots of left side D depth to graduate.

Otherwise, I vote we keep on rolling as is.

3 hours ago, mephnick said:

Unless some miracle happens (Petterson shatters expectations) there's no one in our system who's going to be a 1C on a winning team. Get real guys.

I guess we might have a 1C in the way that Derek Stepan and Jordan Staal are technically a 1C's in the NHL. But those guys are 2C's or 3C's on a contender.

Most likely we'll end up with 3 2C's and have them slot on whichever lines fit. One of those will be considered the first line, so there you go. If you want a true star 1c we'll have to draft him in the future or trade for him. There's no one to promote.

Exactly.  Pettersson is the only guy in the system who has 1c potential at this point, and he's got at least two years of development followed by a couple years on the team before he could likely take on that role.  Even Thornton who nobody had as many points since he joined the league, took a few years to evolve into a 1c.  Henrik also took years although he made the team quickly.  

There are two guys next year that could be drafted, but they will also take time....

What I honestly see happening is Benning going after someone this summer...it won't be Tavares but someone above Gagne...and we will have another placeholder.   If the Sedins resign then another year just like this one, and hopefully Horvat can man the role in the meantime.

I won't rule Pettersson out next year. He may not jump in and destroy the league right away but, the kid is poised to be one hell of a center down the road. Trading for a good 1c would cost a fortune and the Canucks would have to move a top prospect. I don't think that'd be the best move for a rebuilding franchise.

30 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

And waste even more of his prime on a rebuilding team? Not sure he'd be up for that.

I'm not sure if I'd consider the Canucks rebuilding after next season. If we aren't back into contention in 2 years I would say that every single person in management is gone.

There's talk of Montreal going for him, if he had to choose between us and them who would he pick? Obviously he will be able to choose almost any team he wants because there will be so much demand for him, I just think Van is no longer on the outside looking in when it comes to these choices.

- Pittsburgh/Chicago/Edmonton/Toronto/Dallas/Tampa can't afford him

Most likely Sedins will retire after this season. I prefer to keep one of them (or both) in the coach team to help the young players development.

Patterson is great but not next year.

Bo and Sutter are the two players I like for the 2 top centre in this moment. If Benning could trade a good one, there will be fine.

5 hours ago, mephnick said:

Unless some miracle happens (Petterson shatters expectations) there's no one in our system who's going to be a 1C on a winning team. Get real guys.

I guess we might have a 1C in the way that Derek Stepan and Jordan Staal are technically a 1C's in the NHL. But those guys are 2C's or 3C's on a contender.

Most likely we'll end up with 3 2C's and have them slot on whichever lines fit. One of those will be considered the first line, so there you go. If you want a true star 1c we'll have to draft him in the future or trade for him. There's no one to promote.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You're seriously underrating Petterson here.

Ayyup.

Pettersson may have something to say about that:

Guy's putting up comparatively, historically elite levels of offense playing against men so far. At a young 18 years old.

I suspect we don't do anything and will promote a temporary replacement from within. I'd guess Sutter is probably first in line now unless Pettersson is ready by next year. My guess is Pettersson starts full-time in 2019-20 and at that point, he could take either the #1 or #2 centre position.

2 hours ago, Jaku said:

I won't rule Pettersson out next year. He may not jump in and destroy the league right away but, the kid is poised to be one hell of a center down the road. Trading for a good 1c would cost a fortune and the Canucks would have to move a top prospect. I don't think that'd be the best move for a rebuilding franchise.

Juolevi for Sam Reinhart should give Pettersson enough time to develop properly 

Archived