The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

4 hours ago, guntrix said:

Projections aside, what salary would be considered a good deal for Gud?

IMO, anything more than 3.5 is overpayment considering what he actually brings to the table. Incessant whinging and directionless homerism aside, Gudbranson is not a top 4 D on a good team. If our aim is to be a playoff team and eventually contend for the cup, we can't be emptying the wallet on a glorified enforcer. 

If he asks for 4 or 5 per, what then? Do we mortgage our future cap on a guy with a mean stache who's best attribute is sticking up for his teammates?

You're nuts if you don't want to sign Gudbranson if he wants 5.5m or less, which is a bargain for what he brings to the table. CDC really has to stop focusing on points as the only way to determine a player's value. Sutter is vastly undervalued here for the points obsession reason as well.

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

I find it ironic, when you said I overvalue Marner, when you stated you would rank Boeser and Pettersson over him. While Boeser is having a stellar rookie campaign so far. The season is still along away to being over. There's a good possibility that Boeser will eventually cool off and won't keep his point per game production the rest of the way. Boeser also isn't creative enough to drive a play on his own. He's a sniper, who knows where to go, and gets into position for a scoring chance. Most of his goals are a product of his linemates, who happen to find him wide open. Pettersson is looking promising, but has yet to even step foot into the NHL. So, saying he's better than Marner is absurd. 

Marner is a different animal. His creativity in the offense zone is surperior than any one on our current roster. He is what Henrik was when he first broke into the league, an elite playermaker, except he's a better skater and shooter than Hank.

If Toronto is willing to part ways with Marner, then I wouldn't think twice in trying to acquiring him. They would probably want someone like Tanev+ for him and not Gudbranson. Which I would do, but most fans are hesitant to give up Tanev, unless we get a king's ransom for him. 

We have no one to replace the game that Gudbranson brings, he plays a solid game against some of the bigger power forwards in the league every night. His out-let passing is good, and getting better every game. 

Big D men who play like Gudbranson tend to prime in their late 20's, and carry it over into their 30's.

I remember watching EG play in the playoffs for the Panthers,. He was electric. The regular season is long, get this kid into the playoffs, and watch the beast come alive.

I believe that Tanev will be packaged some where before the TDL.. unfortunately the physical play he absorbs adds up too frequently in many man-days lost to injury.

I would rather see Edler go than Tanev, but Edler's contract is a brick... but who knows, this is hockey, and if Alex wants to truly win a cup before he retires, he will decide to move on himself.

Phk TO.. and all of the mongering rumours their journalists create.

12 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Heavy overvalue of  Marner. He wouldn't be the best player on the Canucks if they acquired him. 16 points, two goals, minus 4. yes he's a really good prospect, but i would rank boeser and pettersson higher. Also no chance Pettersson being 3 years away. could be as soon as next year, otherwise the year after. 

Totally. Marner's a smurf on top of that. This team doesn't need another member of the lollipop guild until that peppy little spit-&^@# Petrus Palma gets a shot with the Canucks.

59 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

You're nuts if you don't want to sign Gudbranson if he wants 5.5m or less, which is a bargain for what he brings to the table. CDC really has to stop focusing on points as the only way to determine a player's value. Sutter is vastly undervalued here for the points obsession reason as well.

$5.5M....what a bargain.

Show me ONE NHL insider, reporter, former manager/executive, anyone with some sort of connection to the game that has gone on record saying EG is worth $5.5M, or anything remotely close to the that.

Don't worry, I'll wait....

57 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

Some posters can't look past the stat sheets. They have zero concept of the game outside of Corsi, Fenwick, shot differentials, puck trajectories, and stat sheets.

Most admit to not even watching games.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Some posters can't look past the stat sheets. They have zero concept of the game outside of Corsi, Fenwick, shot differentials, puck trajectories, and stat sheets.

Most admit to not even watching games.

I watch every game. Last night for example, Gudbranson was one of our worst players before the injury. The thing about stats (classic goals, assists etc), as well as the advanced stats is there's no denying them. They're right in front of your face. They all support a player being good or not so good. Obviously with advanced stats, or stats such as +/-, they can be somewhat misleading. But not to the point where you can turn something that appears positive on the surface to something that is actually a negative. So here we have player A who has solid classic + advanced stats. It's hard to deny Player A's worth. Then we have player B who's classic + advanced suggest he's pretty awful, but player B holds people in check, fights occasionally and throws a big hit occasionally. So we have awful in one column, and the physical stuff in the other column. No one is questioning the value of having Gudbranson's physical attributes in the lineup. But ATM Gudbranson is our # 5 defensemen. That's how the coach is using him and I'm not so sure I see that changing in the future, although I could be wrong. But seeing as Gudbranson is never going to be more than a # 4 for us and other than his physical presence, is by all accounts quite bad, how can we justify paying him $4.5M or (even $5.5M as @Mattrek has suggested) on a long term contract. He just doesn't play that kind of role for us. That would make him our 3rd or 4th highest paid player next year. We're already paying a 3rd liner $6M a year for the foreseeable future. We need to be smarter with our cap moving forward.

14 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I watch every game. Last night for example, Gudbranson was one of our worst players before the injury. The thing about stats (classic goals, assists etc), as well as the advanced stats is there's no denying them. They're right in front of your face. They all support a player being good or not so good. Obviously with advanced stats, or stats such as +/-, they can be somewhat misleading. But not to the point where you can turn something that appears positive on the surface to something that is actually a negative. So here we have player A who has solid classic + advanced stats. It's hard to deny Player A's worth. Then we have player B who's classic + advanced suggest he's pretty awful, but player B holds people in check, fights occasionally and throws a big hit occasionally. So we have awful in one column, and the physical stuff in the other column. No one is questioning the value of having Gudbranson's physical attributes in the lineup. But ATM Gudbranson is our # 5 defensemen. That's how the coach is using him and I'm not so sure I see that changing in the future, although I could be wrong. But seeing as Gudbranson is never going to be more than a # 4 for us and other than his physical presence, is by all accounts quite bad, how can we justify paying him $4.5M or (even $5.5M as @Mattrek has suggested) on a long term contract. He just doesn't play that kind of role for us. That would make him our 3rd or 4th highest paid player next year. We're already paying a 3rd liner $6M a year for the foreseeable future. We need to be smarter with our cap moving forward.

His physical presence, by what accounts, is bad? I'd hearken back to a post that SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME wrote in the PGT of the Philly game.

I hear your angle, but don't think that your providing what could be considered irrefutable proof of Gudbranson's worth to the team.

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

I think you are struggling with value. Suts is a very serviceable player but not worth anywhere near what he is making. Gudbranson is a good player as well but he just doesn’t seem to fit. He is like Brett Hart at WCW. 

15 minutes ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

I think you are struggling with value. Suts is a very serviceable player but not worth anywhere near what he is making. Gudbranson is a good player as well but he just doesn’t seem to fit unless you are looking for a mobile 6'5" Dman who plays with edge and makes everyone around him better.   

FIFY.  You are welcome.   :)

2 hours ago, Mattrek said:

rofl sign a guy that cant even manage 10 points a season to 5.5mil per year. 

People on this board cant be serious. If Gudbranson is any good, and eats heavy minutes, he can easily produce 10 points plus a season (you just need to touch the freaking puck once in a while, not that hard) This is not the case. Florida wouldnt have given up on Gudbranson. We wouldn't be in the discussion if we should give up on him either. He is not a top 4 D. He is a decent middle pairing and should be paid like it. (3-4.5mil max) 

27 minutes ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

I think you are struggling with value. Suts is a very serviceable player but not worth anywhere near what he is making. Gudbranson is a good player as well but he just doesn’t seem to fit. He is like Brett Hart at WCW. 

Every team (but us) has a point getting 215-230 power forward and/or grinder that floor boards our D men or crease crashes goalies, this used to happen more often before Gudbranson arrived. His presence alone, which no flipping Corsi # can validate wards off the opportunity of the “grease goals” against us.

I can only imagine, but I can see, the strength it takes to ward off the Lucic’s, Reeves, Ferlands, Kassian’s, and others like that in this league on a nightly basis.. 

Gudranson keeps guys off the scoresheet, and the intimidation factor low.. he doesn’t have to drop the gloves nightly to do it, Something not truly recognized, and never paid its worth.

It’s in his toolbox, without him we get rag dolled.. that’s worth money.

29 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

rofl sign a guy that cant even manage 10 points a season to 5.5mil per year. 

People on this board cant be serious. If Gudbranson is any good, and eats heavy minutes, he can easily produce 10 points plus a season (you just need to touch the freaking puck once in a while, not that hard) This is not the case. Florida wouldnt have given up on Gudbranson. We wouldn't be in the discussion if we should give up on him either. He is not a top 4 D. He is a decent middle pairing and should be paid like it. (3-4.5mil max) 

Believe it or not, but this actually helps to win games..

there is no stat or corsi for his work... can Tanev, Edler, Stetcher, or Mitch Freaking Marner ward off the physical presence of other teams?

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Every team (but us) has a point getting 215-230 power forward and/or grinder that floor boards our D men or crease crashes goalies, this used to happen more often before Gudbranson arrived. His presence alone, which no flipping Corsi # can validate wards off the opportunity of the “grease goals” against us.

I can only imagine, but I can see, the strength it takes to ward off the Lucic’s, Reeves, Ferlands, Kassian’s, and others like that in this league on a nightly basis.. 

Gudranson keeps guys off the scoresheet, and the intimidation factor low.. he doesn’t have to drop the gloves nightly to do it, Something not truly recognized, and never paid its worth.

It’s in his toolbox, without him we get rag dolled.. that’s worth money.

Did you see Hutton and Pouliot get HAMMERED as soon as the Penguins came hard on the forecheck? That made me want Gudbranson in the game.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

His physical presence, by what accounts, is bad? I'd hearken back to a post that SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME wrote in the PGT of the Philly game.

I hear your angle, but don't think that your providing what could be considered irrefutable proof of Gudbranson's worth to the team.

I said other than his physical presence.

As far as the advanced stats vs the Flyers go, I haven't looked into them but that's good if that's the case. If he can do that over a sustained period of time, that will go along way  in changing a lot of people's minds about him. I have my doubts though, as he has yet to do that over any sustained amount of time.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

lol, is this real life. You can't bring up advanced stats when they flatter Gud and dismiss them when they don't. You can't have it both ways.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Believe it or not, but this actually helps to win games..

there is no stat or corsi for his work... can Tanev, Edler, Stetcher, or Mitch Freaking Marner ward off the physical presence of other teams?

So you post a video of Gudbranson fighting to show that he's worth 5.5 mil? You do know that it's possible in this day and age to obtain players with a physical edge who aren't total liabilities in the game of hockey right? 

Once Tanev and Stetcher come back, Gud will be a third pairing guy. You're saying you want to spend 5.5 on a #5/6 defenceman on a fringe playoff team?

Archived