The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

3 hours ago, ohmy said:

That is how I feel to. At the end of the day all the analysis and opinions mean jack squat to me. When you hear players and hall of famers upset he's off there team and how you need guys like him to win in the playoffs then that is the end of the story for me. They know the current game better than anyone.

Commending a player who's departing is simply being professional. Did you expect them to slam Guddy in front of the media?

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

Commending a player who's departing is simply being professional. Did you expect them to slam Guddy in front of the media?

Didn’t Gillis slam Cody Hodgson after he traded him away?  It might not be professional, but teams don’t necessarily have to say anything.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, but 4.5, 4.75 per? sure. 

Pedan isn't an NHL quality player.  Gadjovich is in the OHL. Tryamkin may or may not come back. Guddy is the bird in the hand. 

Ok, so 4.75 would be your cap?  What about term 5 year? 7 years?  What kind of market value would get you considering moving him?  There comes a point where you have to considered the value of overpaying vs that value you can get for a return.  You can overpay, yes all teams do, but i'd much rather pay for a superstar like say Brock who's going to get a massive raise in 2 years, than to overpay a 4/5 D.  If Guddy develops into a 3/4 guy, great, he might grow into that type of contract, but it's a risk and we'd have to consider all options when locking into a risk like that.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t Gillis slam Cody Hodgson after he traded him away?  It might not be professional, but teams don’t necessarily have to say anything.

Gillis was also fined for complaining about the officiating, took a shot at Nonis shortly after his arrival and was reported to have an arrogant reputation with other NHL GMs. I personally thought he was a decent GM but maybe Gillis isn't a perfect example of being a professional. 

26 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ok, so 4.75 would be your cap?  What about term 5 year? 7 years?  What kind of market value would get you considering moving him?  There comes a point where you have to considered the value of overpaying vs that value you can get for a return.  You can overpay, yes all teams do, but i'd much rather pay for a superstar like say Brock who's going to get a massive raise in 2 years, than to overpay a 4/5 D.  If Guddy develops into a 3/4 guy, great, he might grow into that type of contract, but it's a risk and we'd have to consider all options when locking into a risk like that.

yup thats the risk, that he never becomes a 4D.  I'd probably push for 5 years, and he may want that too since he'd still have some good earning years after that. 

Given how many quality ELCs we'll have during that time I'm not worried at all about Guddy's contract. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup thats the risk, that he never becomes a 4D.  I'd probably push for 5 years, and he may want that too since he'd still have some good earning years after that. 

So is that risk worth taking if you can get a decent return at TD.  It's a really deep draft this year, we could land a very important piece.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Given how many quality ELCs we'll have during that time I'm not worried at all about Guddy's contract. 

In less than 5 years. Pettersson, Demko, Joulevi, Boeser will all be with new contracts.  Just think Brock is going to get 8+ if he keeps this up.  I'm assuming we are going after Kane this year and land a top 5 pick.  That money disappears fast.  I wouldn't give him a dollar over 4.  The only way he's get more is if he'd be willing to go short term.  But nothing over 4.5   I don't think Guddy is as big of a need for this team that we should bend over for him. If you look at a bunch of the top teams, their push back comes from a committee not just one guy,  Flames, Vegas, Tampa, Hawks, Wild, Preds.  And the teams that do have one big intimidating player, that player is a lot more than just physical, Weber, Chara, Byfuglein, they can all put up big offence as well. As soon as the twins leave and Bo takes over as a leader, I'd expect a whole new culture instilled. 

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So is that risk worth taking if you can get a decent return at TD.  It's a really deep draft this year, we could land a very important piece.

In less than 5 years. Pettersson, Demko, Joulevi, Boeser will all be with new contracts.  Just think Brock is going to get 8+ if he keeps this up.  I'm assuming we are going after Kane this year and land a top 5 pick.  That money disappears fast.  I wouldn't give him a dollar over 4.  The only way he's get more is if he'd be willing to go short term.  But nothing over 4.5   I don't think Guddy is as big of a need for this team that we should bend over for him. If you look at a bunch of the top teams, their push back comes from a committee not just one guy,  Flames, Vegas, Tampa, Hawks, Wild, Preds.  And the teams that do have one big intimidating player, that player is a lot more than just physical, Weber, Chara, Byfuglein, they can all put up big offence as well. As soon as the twins leave and Bo takes over as a leader, I'd expect a whole new culture instilled. 

I think you and I have a difference on this of about 250,000 :P If Jim went over 5 that'd be nuts, unless it was 2-3 years at 5 mil per which might be possible and gives Guddy another nice payday window. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you and I have a difference on this of about 250,000 :P If Jim went over 5 that'd be nuts, unless it was 2-3 years at 5 mil per which might be possible and gives Guddy another nice payday window. 

I'd only go 4.5 if he's taking under 4 term.  So 3 years and less.  4 years and more he shouldn't be over 4.0.  I'd prefer to resign him to a short term bridge deal, It would make sense for the Canucks to get a better idea on what type of D he's going to be and reduce the risk, but at the same time a hockey players careers isn't very long and he's already had two major injuries, he might be wanted to lock up some security.  We wont know what he's thinking until Jan 1st but it's still fun to discuss the options.  I like knowing that we aren't handcuffed in a Hamhuis situation, we have total control to make something gud out of this situation.

18 hours ago, Yotes said:

I also like the Pouliot Gudbranson pairing

Gives a good stay at home guy paired up with a player who likes to rush it up the ice

Then a possible Juolevi Tanev pairing next year or year after

those two could work extremely well together - they can both skate - Pouliot is freed to do what pmds do, but also Gudbranson could get more involved from time to time because Pouliot is mobile enough to get back in transition as well, and the team is developing their young forwards to be solid, two way players.   With the space that Pouliot is able to generate, it could also free up Gudbranson to load up that big shot of his.  

I also like Edler with Pouliot but it puts Pouliot on his opposing side - nevertheless, Edler has always seemed to excel with a pmd partner

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

those two could work extremely well together - they can both skate - Pouliot is freed to do what pmds do, but also Gudbranson could get more involved from time to time because Pouliot is mobile enough to get back in transition as well, and the team is developing their young forwards to be solid, two way players.   With the space that Pouliot is able to generate, it could also free up Gudbranson to load up that big shot of his.  

I also like Edler with Pouliot but it puts Pouliot on his opposing side - nevertheless, Edler has always seemed to excel with a pmd partner

the Gud Pu line?

15 hours ago, guntrix said:

You're either being intentionally obtuse or simply weren't paying attention to context.

What Willie MItchell said was "WTF" - you tell a cool story about being professional and 'commending' a departing team-mate, but that's not remotely what was taking place there - players like Luongo and Mitchell were publicly calling out their management for making a stupid move.  

You don't see players like Luongo or Mitchell doing that very often - and moreover, the things Luongo said about Gudbranson were entirely consistent with the types of outcomes the two produced together.  Put your head in the sand if it suits your narrative, but @ohmy was making a far more relevent point than your attempt to wash it as mundane smalltalk.

Turns out those players had good reason to call out their arrogant pseudo 'analyticz' management - the fixed what wasn't broken and sent a 100+ pt team straight back out of the playoffs in short order.   Now Tallon is left once again to put the pieces back together in Florida - and they're fortunate to still have him around after the way they railroaded him - and Gerard Gallant - who is also getting the last laugh - with his team - an expansion team - in 2nd in the Western Conference with 46 points, while the post 'analyticz' Panthers sit in a mediocre 3rd last in the East.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Look at last night for example. Guddy jumped up to get the scoring started, he made some nice plays defensively think he stopped Pavelski from having a grade A chance in front. Made some good passes from his own end. Sure there are always a couple plays that you wish a guy may not make but nobody is perfect. I wonder if Guddy could lean down a bit to possibly increase his speed or agility just a little bit? Say like 5-7lbs? Or just really work on his skating in the off season.

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

Look at last night for example. Guddy jumped up to get the scoring started, he made some nice plays defensively think he stopped Pavelski from having a grade A chance in front. Made some good passes from his own end. Sure there are always a couple plays that you wish a guy may not make but nobody is perfect. I wonder if Guddy could lean down a bit to possibly increase his speed or agility just a little bit? Say like 5-7lbs? Or just really work on his skating in the off season.

Guddy also started the transition the previous game with a nifty pass off the boards to a Sedin at the opposing blueline that I believe lead to the Vanek goal.

Thing with Gudbranson that people might keep in mind - his job is not always to start or engage in transition - sometimes he's simply going to be clearing the zone to releive pressure or facilitate a change - and he often leaves the ice when his partner is carrying the puck or gaining the ozone, so his corsi is also effected by the fact the he sometime defers to a team-mate in those situations.   Perhaps we'll see him in less of an exclusive shutdown role at things progress - he's shown offensive upside earlier in his career but then stepped straight out of junior into the NHL, not such an easy task for a defenseman, particularly one whose bread and butter is shutdown, which typically takes more development.

15 hours ago, guntrix said:

Your reaching here and I wont fall for your Trix.  You clearly don't see the value in Guddy and that's fine but you can't pretend those were your every day comments being made. If you deny that then you are plain and simple just wrong. 

Archived