The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

the issue with Erik is not whether he can play or not - he is fine as a no 4, 5, 6 guy - it is how much he wants and for how long.  Would Benning like to keep him YES.  Will they pay 5 million to do so - I would think NO.   

Guddy knows that he can probably get the best deal as a UFA so that is where he would want to go.  If Van throws money at him around what he thinks he will get as a UFA he will stay of course.   I wouldn't offer him more than a very low 4 point something.   

This is a money issue now

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is what he was sold as and what they ponied up Hall for.   Not sure they make that trade again.

Larsson looked good last year I can admit. He hasn't this year. Tanev is a better Dman. I wouldn't of said that last year but Nurse has been playing better than Larsson this year. 

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is what he was sold as and what they ponied up Hall for.   Not sure they make that trade again.

He's a solid D. Has looked good every year for a young D on NJD and last year in EDM. Like basically everyone in EDM, it's been a train wreck of a season. That was a solid trade imo. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's a solid D. Has looked good every year for a young D on NJD and last year in EDM. Like basically everyone in EDM, it's been a train wreck of a season. That was a solid trade imo. 

Something is just terribly wrong with that team.

There are no Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson, Demko-type farm players in the Leafs' system. There are some good players and unknown players but it is hard to imagine that the Leafs' rookies will out do anything Gudbranson could bring. In terms of roster players, I don't see which young player the Leafs would be willing to let go.

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't know.   I think he was propped up by the Devil's system and last year, everyone in Edmonton has stat inflation through horsehoe goaltending (led league in posts/bars by wide margin, for example) and surprising teams.   This year he has to play in a less structured system that requires more responsibility and I don't see him responding well.   As another poster said, he is not as good as Tanev.   I would think that if offered Taylor Hall for Tanev the Canucks would jump.

Larsson is a good Dman, just not what he was sold as being which is unfair to him.   Like a certain large Dman on the Canucks, he is a high first round pick that people think they can project great things for when he is really just a good top six guy who shouldn't be expected to be more than he is.

3 minutes ago, RebuildTheRightWay(RTRW) said:

Gudbranson is trash. He's really not worth a lot. Happy with anything around a 5th round pick.

If you think he's worth anything more than a 3rd, you probably believe in the tooth fairy.

We’ve got another one loose on our CANUCK’S board:

92D020BD-7182-492E-8222-5E65BE71EC5F.jpeg

3 minutes ago, RebuildTheRightWay(RTRW) said:

Gudbranson is trash. He's really not worth a lot. Happy with anything around a 5th round pick.

If you think he's worth anything more than a 3rd, you probably believe in the tooth fairy.

Interesting how many hockey people believe in the tooth fairy.   An unsigned UFA Guddy will get someone at least a 2nd round pick if not a bit more (prospect and pick).  If he were singed for, say, 3 x 3.5 you could get even more.

Not sure if you simply don't like him or just want to see some churn from an aggressive post but saying he is worth a 5th round pick is not quite the right way to go about being the agent of chaos you are seemingly wanting to be.   :)

Not sure what posting troll pics is going to do. It's not trolling to say that Gudbranson isn't worth much. He's trash defensively, offensively and doesn't care most nights. I've seen enough blatant giveaways and boneheaded decisions to determine that Erik will really not bring in much in a trade.

I don't know if you're the real Rob Zepp or not, but if you are, you should know that a defenseman like Gudbranson will be more of a danger to you than a help out on the ice. His breed of d-man are phased out and no longer effective in this league.

23 minutes ago, RebuildTheRightWay(RTRW) said:

Ever tried to shut down a 215lb+

6’2”+ power forward.

The O’reilys, Lucic’s, Kassian’s, Carter’s, Reave’s, Getzlaff, Thornton’s,Benn’s of the game?

Bet you would put Tanev or Edler  checking that group, and the ones that can be added to that list Sporto.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Ever tried to shut down a 215lb+

6’2”+ power forward.

The O’reilys, Lucic’s, Kassian’s, Carter’s, Reave’s, of the game?

Bet you would put Tanev or Edler  checking that group, and the ones that can be added to that list Sporto.

I'd rather have a d-man that can actually play defense than a d-man whos only calling card is 'toughness' (and he is not 'tough' most nights. He seems he couldn't care less most nights... Like when he stands around while our younger players get bullied.)

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't know.   I think he was propped up by the Devil's system and last year, everyone in Edmonton has stat inflation through horsehoe goaltending (led league in posts/bars by wide margin, for example) and surprising teams.   This year he has to play in a less structured system that requires more responsibility and I don't see him responding well.   As another poster said, he is not as good as Tanev.   I would think that if offered Taylor Hall for Tanev the Canucks would jump.

Larsson is a good Dman, just not what he was sold as being which is unfair to him.   Like a certain large Dman on the Canucks, he is a high first round pick that people think they can project great things for when he is really just a good top six guy who shouldn't be expected to be more than he is.

EDM was and will continue to 'overpay' on trades because of the position they put themselves in.

I also think the value they got for Hall is more than they get credit for. Still an 'overpay', sure. But hardly the Ferrari for a rusted or Chevette it's made out to be. 

I'd say he's a younger, 9/10ths'ish Tanev with more size (on a train wreck of a team). 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

EDM was and will continue to 'overpay' on trades because of the position they put themselves in.

I also think the value they got for Hall is more than they get credit for. Still an 'overpay', sure. But hardly the Ferrari for a rusted or Chevette it's made out to be. 

I'd say he's a younger, 9/10ths'ish Tanev with more size (on a train wreck of a team). 

Should a team with who is supposed to. E best player in the world, all those first overall picks and another of the top ten highest paid players in hockey be a “train wreck”?

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Should a team with who is supposed to. E best player in the world, all those first overall picks and another of the top ten highest paid players in hockey be a “train wreck”?

Nope. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Something is just terribly wrong with that team.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I'm not sure 'train wreck' is the word to use, but they don't have what is needed to really contend, which is a number 1 defenseman, and a goaltender that'll get you a few wins when you don't deserve them.  Edmonton's D is kind of like ours, not quite one thing *great defensively*, not quite the other *gifted offensively*.  They are a mish mash of 3b defensemen hoping that their forwards dangerousness will overcome their defensive liabilities.

Archived